Is the Emotiva UPA-7 a good amp to purchase?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay guys hooooooly sheeeeeaaaaat! Until you get external amps until you get more power and hear it for yourself? You can never understand what someone is talking about. I thought this might help make a difference. Damn man it's like night and day. Here's the things that stand out the most.
1) Clarity everything is just so so so clear every pindrop every grain of sand even in the middle of a lottof action. I can hear every detail of every thing and it's all so perfectly integrated
2) dynamics and punch everything feels so tight and punchy sharp I knew my SVS Primes towers were capable of giving more but even with this modest boost they sound so much better
3) VOIIIICEEES on my LORD voices sound so clear and better
4) midrange I can hear so much more midrange now and music and swells that's also the dynamics I think
5) Imaging is so so much better and spatial distance and placement. If they're in a cave they sound like they're in a cave. It's hard to explain but it's very noticeable!
6) The midbass in the upper range just got a huge kick in the butt. My PB 4000's just sound so much better and even more integrated in the system
Man thank you guys so so much. This sounds simply so much better. I'm gonna be so happy with this until I upgrade. Next year it's 3 SVS ultra towers and a real heavy duty channel amp to drive them!
Ok I'm done gushing! Back to escaping reality! Movies all night! :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Okay guys hooooooly sheeeeeaaaaat! Until you get external amps until you get more power and hear it for yourself? You can never understand what someone is talking about. I thought this might help make a difference. Damn man it's like night and day. Here's the things that stand out the most.
1) Clarity everything is just so so so clear every pindrop every grain of sand even in the middle of a lottof action. I can hear every detail of every thing and it's all so perfectly integrated
2) dynamics and punch everything feels so tight and punchy sharp I knew my SVS Primes towers were capable of giving more but even with this modest boost they sound so much better
4) midrange I can hear so much more midrange now and music and swells that's also the dynamics I think
5) Imaging is so so much better and spatial distance and placement. If they're in a cave they sound like they're in a cave. It's hard to explain but it's very noticeable!
6) The midbass in the upper range just got a huge kick in the butt. My PB 4000's just sound so much better and even more integrated in the system
Man thank you guys so so much. This sounds simply so much better. I'm gonna be so happy with this until I upgrade. Next year it's 3 SVS ultra towers and a real heavy duty channel amp to drive them!
Very nice! I have Emotivas XPA-5 1st gen it’s over 5 years old and has performed flawlessly with no issues. I took it out of the loop and was just using my AVR, well I put it back in the loop just two days ago. I didn’t think I would notice much, but I did like you I noticed inner detail of my music better, lowend was tighter much more define a lot better control over the drivers at moderate power levels, so yeah Emotiva amps are good.

Mike

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Should we tell him that it would sound even better with the original power cord? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Very nice! I have Emotivas XPA-5 1st gen it’s over 5 years old and has performed flawlessly with no issues. I took it out of the loop and was just using my AVR, well I put it back in the loop just two days ago. I didn’t think I would notice much, but I did like you I noticed inner detail of my music better, lowend was tighter much more define a lot better control over the drivers at moderate power levels, so yeah Emotiva amps are good.

Mike
That's exactly what I noticed exactly and yeah I noticed the better control at lower volumes as well. I was leaning toward Monoprice next year but I think with my experiences with Emotiva both the amp and the time they spent helping me with it they're customer service I'm going to give those new XPA 3's a shot. Man after last night I don't see how you went without that amp!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Mike
I have done something like that many times but I always put it in and out of the loop several times and tried hard to hear the differences each time using the same contents, more or less volume match too, before I left things alone. Then I would do the same but only to plot graphs with REW. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That's exactly what I noticed exactly and yeah I noticed the better control at lower volumes as well. I was leaning toward Monoprice next year but I think with my experiences with Emotiva both the amp and the time they spent helping me with it they're customer service I'm going to give those new XPA 3's a shot. Man after last night I don't see how you went without that amp!
Emotiva’s service is excellent, I had missed placed a receipt for one of my amps I called waited maybe 2 minutes before I got off the phone the order invoice was in the inbox! Dan the Owner, is a great guy his company is a very good one! I’ve seen him many time chatting with people on his Forum. Gene and his staff are as good as you can get on here! I won’t go anyplace else but here. Gene won’t steer you wrong neither will the old-timers either, love this place!!

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I have done something like that many times but I always put it in and out of the loop several times and tried hard to hear the differences each time using the same contents, more or less volume match too, before I left things alone. Then I would do the same but only to plot graphs with REW. :D
PENG, yep I’m always messing around with something with my gear!! Lol. PENG, just a note, Your post are valuable information that You share freely!! You ole Timers don’t get enough credit that you guys deserve!! Much appreciated on my end! Its ole Timers like You and others that makes AH the best website on the Web Bro!!

Mike

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Wait what? @PENG makes me send him money every month. You guys are getting it for free? :(

In all serious tho, I agree with @TechHDS . There are a bunch of very knowledgable people around here and the rest of us are (or should be) very gracious for your generosity.

However!

With that valuable information does come a cost and I seem to spend more money as a result. So while I appreciate it, my wallet does not! :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait what? @PENG makes me send him money every month. You guys are getting it for free? :(

In all serious tho, I agree with @TechHDS . There are a bunch of very knowledgable people around here and the rest of us are (or should be) very gracious for your generosity.

However!

With that valuable information does come a cost and I seem to spend more money as a result. So while I appreciate it, my wallet does not! :)
Jokes aside, this hobby is not for the poor, that's why 99% of the time I suggested people to buy slightly outdated (1-2 model years) AVR/AVP products.

TechHDS

Audioholic General

However!

Brother so very true, totally agree with you! With that said, speaking for myself I’m making smarter choices on gear cause of these guys!! But my bank account is s lil lighter too! I’m sure “PENG” got me on his bills to send out to. ;).

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG, yep I’m always messing around with something with my gear!! Lol. PENG, just a note, Your post are valuable information that You share freely!! You ole Timers don’t get enough credit that you guys deserve!! Much appreciated on my end! Its ole Timers like You and others that makes AH the best website on the Web Bro!!

Mike
Thanks for the kind words, like everyone else, I am just doing my part..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the kind words, like everyone else, I am just doing my part..
All you guys doing your part passing on knowledge it's much appreciated my knowledge and system has grown more in the past year or 2 since I joined this forum then it had in a long time! Can't thank all of you guys enough!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

However!

I just look at it is as I was gonna blow some of that money on something stupid why not on something that will last and give me friends and family a lot to enjoy in the years to come! For me being single this is something constructive to blow it on! I've been known to get in trouble when I'd get bored in the past blow it on all types of stupid stuff. Now I'm either saving or spending my mad money on this hobby I've fallen in love with! That's a win win for me.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Reminds me of a comedian or somebody that once said..

I was walkin down the street with my friend and saw a bum
I gave the bum 20 dollars
My friends said, what did you do that for? hes just gonna buy drugs or alcohol with it!
I said to my friend, well thats what I was gonna do with it! Why are we judging this guy?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Emotiva’s service is excellent, I had missed placed a receipt for one of my amps I called waited maybe 2 minutes before I got off the phone the order invoice was in the inbox! Dan the Owner, is a great guy his company is a very good one! I’ve seen him many time chatting with people on his Forum. Gene and his staff are as good as you can get on here! I won’t go anyplace else but here. Gene won’t steer you wrong neither will the old-timers either, love this place!!

Mike
Yeah Emotiva totaly impressed me with there customer service. And this is the only forum I'll participate in any more for all the reasons you stated.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Reminds me of a comedian or somebody that once said..

I was walkin down the street with my friend and saw a bum
I gave the bum 20 dollars
My friends said, what did you do that for? hes just gonna buy drugs or alcohol with it!
I said to my friend, well thats what I was gonna do with it! Why are we judging this guy?
Lmao...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Jokes aside, this hobby is not for the poor, that's why 99% of the time I suggested people to buy slightly outdated (1-2 model years) AVR/AVP products.
Thanks for the help. It’s even more expensive if you buy the wrong stuff. :) I agree AVRs are definitely cheaper if you buy the prior year model on clearance. The Outlaw amps really have my attention recently, especially the M2200 mono blocks. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow so much different than what happens when I use external amps, especially the things amps don't do. I've not had a similar experience even using separate pre amp and amp nor with a very similar avr as you have, the Onkyo HTRC370 (or a few other avrs, none of which I any longer use external amps with). I suspect part of it is buyer excitement but glad you're enjoying it. Curious, what volume do you listen and at what distance?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis