Is Netflix Crumbling?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
From Bloomberg today. The same thing seems to be happening in the UK over the same period. The ride up from 2Q 2020 coincides with COVID too. Today with people out of the house + inflation + competition = a tough long term. Can't see NFLX ever getting back to that 700 level again but those are famous last words

Two years of constant increases in the number of on-demand streaming services per American household has come to an end, according to Bloomberg.

A quarterly survey from research company Kantar found the number of on-demand streaming services per household peaked at 4.7. This follows two years of constant increases as new services were being added.

Like most people, you get that first year or two on discount and then use it. First time you pay that increased price, you drop one or more of them.

My apple free trial just expired and I have only used it for a very small number of shows, so now that it costs me something, I am highly likely to cancel it. There just isn't enough on it for me to care.

Once Stranger Things is over I, and likely a LOT of other people, will likely cancel Netflix too. Not unlike the massive dump of HBO subscriptions once GoT ended. People want to watch a show maybe twice, maybe once if it isn't really good, but rewatch multiple times? Not so much. When what you have is only a few things that people actually watch regularly, you should be looking at what you charge and quality of content. Not spending 10s of millions on new things that might not catch on that you then have to charge ALL your users for whether or not they watch it.

I've gotten way too many emails from Netflix this week in an obvious attempt to keep me interested.

Last edited:
H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, there's competition (coming) for Netflix. I don't believe it's fulling materialized yet. Netflix has some really good stuff and quite a bit of still entertaining shows. I'm sure they'll maintain that.

It's seems the new up and comers are relying on their old material. Using Disney as an example, I've seen almost everything they have to offer already. In fact, I saw most of them on Netflix. Their new stuff I'm finding mediocre at best. Sure, if you're a die hard Marvel or Star Wars fan you'll love whatever they put out. At least in the short term. Heck, I suffered all the way through Boba hoping it would amount to something better. During a recent interview with Disney's CEO he said they are going to be raising prices as they build up new content.

Paramount seems to be in more or less the same space right now. How many more spin offs of star trek, or star wars, can we tolerate? Are you watching because you're a fanboy or because the show can stand on its own? I find myself straddling this space.

Soon, besides being stratified with each of their own signature content, they'll all be $$+ a month. They'll all lose viewership and top out then. I've thought about signing up for one for a few months and when I'm tired of watching Star whatever, cancelling and going to another stream. Particularly now that I'm reverting back to the pre-covid levels of viewing. However, I'm sure they're planning ahead to mitigate us from doing this (sign on for 1 year....)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, there's competition (coming) for Netflix. I don't believe it's fulling materialized yet. Netflix has some really good stuff and quite a bit of still entertaining shows. I'm sure they'll maintain that.

It's seems the new up and comers are relying on their old material. Using Disney as an example, I've seen almost everything they have to offer already. In fact, I saw most of them on Netflix. Their new stuff I'm finding mediocre at best. Sure, if you're a die hard Marvel or Star Wars fan you'll love whatever they put out. At least in the short term. Heck, I suffered all the way through Boba hoping it would amount to something better. During a recent interview with Disney's CEO he said they are going to be raising prices as they build up new content.

Paramount seems to be in more or less the same space right now. How many more spin offs of star trek, or star wars, can we tolerate? Are you watching because you're a fanboy or because the show can stand on its own? I find myself straddling this space.

Soon, besides being stratified with each of their own signature content, they'll all be $$+ a month. They'll all lose viewership and top out then. I've thought about signing up for one for a few months and when I'm tired of watching Star whatever, cancelling and going to another stream. Particularly now that I'm reverting back to the pre-covid levels of viewing. However, I'm sure they're planning ahead to mitigate us from doing this (sign on for 1 year....)
Good post, thing is Netflix got a very long head start on all of the other online streamers. They been in the game a very long time. But like you stated others are catching up. But Netflix also owes a whole lot of money they borrow billions! They owe billions 10s of billions. If they do collapse, look out all the other's will be jacking up their prices. Netflix's top tier level is 19.99 plus taxes. That's about the price of one Blu-ray movie and some 4K Blu-ray movies. So, where I live Netflix 21.88 a month, that comes to $262 a year. You can but a lot of Blu-ray, 4K movies and own them.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Netflix is terrible. They put out schitt original content. They have old schitt movies on there. The video/audio quality is abysmal. And lastly they keep jacking up the cost. If my wife didn't watch shows on there, I'd have canceled it 2 years ago.

Of the 4 streaming services I subscribe too, I'd rank them in this order based on audio/video quality:

1) AppleTV
2) Disney +

3) Amazon Prime

4) Netflix
LOL, obviously you can't convince your wife ! I trust she's paying for the service ;)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
The wife can be an issue for sure. Got the wife off of Netflix by getting her onto Discovery Plus and Amazon Prime, (which we already had so we could buy stuff from China). Pluto TV is another she loves due to their impressive library including international content and it's free.
So with Discovery she became hooked on the cooking shows which greatly enhanced our meals. Anthony Bourdain was great, may he RIP. The real estate shows hurt because she wants to remodel everything because it costs so little to according to the contractors on those shows. A whole bathroom remodel for 6,000? Right.
There are no total solutions only tradeoffs.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t like committing to too many. I do one of HBOMAX, Disney+, and Showtime at a time thru my Hulu acct. That helps keep it a little more sane. They let you change it up every month or whatever.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The inevitable layoffs happened today

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know they now call LA their homebase. It was originally always right here in the Bay Area.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not exactly the bloodbath I was expecting to see as a response to their losses. But clearly some folk saw it hit the number that started to make sense.
Many analysts are still recommending NOT buying NFLX right now. *shrugs

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, Stranger Things S4 Pt1 is coming soon, but if it isn't good, you can expect people to cancel. I will wait and see. Market is all over the place right now.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Here in Canada, I find Netflix has more and better content than Prime. Ive watched more from Netflix than from Prime and Disney combined. They blame password sharing for a part of their revenue loss which is absolute joke as far as Im concerned. Their stock dropped because they thought they were the only game in town and were ill prepared for the new competition that's been around for at least 3 years now. Thats a very long time to do nothing about their competition.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
I signed up for HBO Max last night. Got a whole lot of good movies, documentaries, music videos and so. Believe I'll give Netflix a rest. HBO Max 14.99 flat. Netflix 19.99 plus taxes 21.88.
HBO max does not have fraggle rock. What?! hbo is dead to me!

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
ok i recently got the netflix mid tier option.
i've noticed the changes in volume during a show/movie, high low high low.
i also need to raise my center channel 4db.
did anyone here start with the mid tier then upgraded to the higher tier and noticed volume improvements?
my street is on a node and traffic will vary but not that much during off peak usage.
i have 300 download and i think 30 upload.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
ok i recently got the netflix mid tier option.
i've noticed the changes in volume during a show/movie, high low high low.
i also need to raise my center channel 4db.
did anyone here start with the mid tier then upgraded to the higher tier and noticed volume improvements?
my street is on a node and traffic will vary but not that much during off peak usage.
i have 300 download and i think 30 upload.
That's the problem with streaming compression on the audio it doesn't matter what tier you get none will sound as good as what you get from a disc

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Think Netflix may be on to something. Does this become part of the mancave or is it a separate room? Either way, they'll need a good sound system with a great subwoofer.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Think Netflix may be on to something. Does this become part of the mancave or is it a separate room? Either way, they'll need a good sound system with a great subwoofer.

Maybe add some seat exciters...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis