is behringer trash?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
alright so i was considering getting a behringer crossover and two behringer amps, i know alot of people on here like their stuff but a bunch of people on club polk are saying they are garbage. are they?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
alright so i was considering getting a behringer crossover and two behringer amps, i know alot of people on here like their stuff but a bunch of people on club polk are saying they are garbage. are they?
Which forum are you going to believe? Mystical wires and CD demagnetizers or people who pursue the truth in audio and video? Lol, im jp.I think the common consensus is that some of their products are good/great, while other products are mediocre/garbage. You usually can't summarize an entire companies products into good or bad, so I would read up as much as possible on the products you want to get.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
well i know the amp i want alot of people on here have, i think isiberian has the one im looking at. and i know those people are a bunch of idiots. why do you think i stoped by here to ask? because generally you guys know what your talking about.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Behringer has been known for questionable business practices and legal cases in the past such as being accused of copying other companies designs. They were also fined 1 million in 2006 by the FCC for not complying with UL certification on 50 of their products. I can understand why some individuals would not recommend them.

Their products are hit and miss it seems. The Behringer amps from what I have read seem to perform up to spec and offer good value.

J

jamie2112

Banned
The Ep2500 power amp and the DCX2496 crossover are great values built well and worth every penny.Some of their other stuff is mediocre at best....

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
thats what im planning on. atleast im staying away from pyle (of crap) your lucky if those things last a week, not to mention a THD rating of 0.1% on a stand-alone amp? thats just not good.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
thats what im planning on. atleast im staying away from pyle (of crap) your lucky if those things last a week, not to mention a THD rating of 0.1% on a stand-alone amp? thats just not good.
NOBODY will ever hear .1%THD. EVER.

T

tom67

Full Audioholic
Now that I know the govt doesnt like them....I'm interested...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have the EP2000 powering a pair of subwoofers and a DCX to incorporate the subs into my 2-channel system. Just be aware that the EP amps have the noisy fan issue. I have my amp in the basement, while the rest of the system is on the floor above. If the house is dead quiet, I can just hear the fan through the floor. When music is played, even at low volume, the noise is completely obscured. If you were to use one of these amps, you'll need to do the fan mod or, as I did, place it in another room.

The DCX works fine, but it is NOT user friendly - at least for a luddite like myself. The good thing about is, after it's set up, you can ignore it.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
at my normal listening volume an industrial fan would be no issue :D

C

Codifus

Junior Audioholic
I've owned 3 Behringer amps

at my normal listening volume an industrial fan would be no issue :D
Call me a glutton for punishement but I keep coming back because they are an extraordinary value AND they do actually sound good.....when they work properly.

My 1st Behringer was an A500. Bought of ebay. Instantly from get go that device had the piano distortion from hell problem. When playing soft music with piano solos, you can easily hear significant distortion from the unit. I returned it.

Despite the bad luck with that I decided to buy another A500; this time brand new. It was fine for a week. After that it also developed the piano distortion from hell. Back it went.

Frustrated, I decided to try the amplifier that the Behringer was supposedly imitating, the Alesis RA500. That amp worked fine all the time that I had it, but it just didn't sound good to me. It wasn't lively or entertaining. Returned.

Apparently the bad rep that Behringer may have devloped, at least from amplifiers, stems mainly from the A500. Their bigger amps seem to be more robust.

Because the Behringer's are cheap, and they did sound very good when they worked, I decided to give the EP2000 a try.

I've been happy with it for the 2 months I've had it. Wickedly powerful amp, way more power than I'll ever need. I also did the fan mod to make my amp very quiet.

I think I also have a better understanding of why the A500s go down so easily. Their input stages can not handle an overloaded signal. I figured this out when I found a way to set the gains properly on my EP2000. Setting the gain by ear, I managed to set the gain to 11 or 12 oclock. After devising a method of recording a 1Khz sine wave tone at 0 db and playing that tone at max volume, I found that the proper setting for the gain of my system was 9 oclock. Luckily, the EP2000 can handle overloads and doesn't suffer, and my guess is that I may have set the A500's gains to high by ear and hurt the input section of the amplifier.

Setting the gain at 9 oclock also improved the sound quality of my EP2000 significantly. There's no more a sense of saturation and I can turn up the volume all the way, being only limited by the excursions of my woofers:) My EP2000 just wants to keep going up and up in volume. Another benefit is that my 8 year old daughter even likes the sound of my system now:)

Hope this helps. And if you decide to use that method mentioned above to set your gain, do it with the speakers dis-connected. That 1Khz tone can fry xovers and/or midranges and tweeters.

CD

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
its pretty simple to do this and ive done this before to set the volume gain on my ipod as i noticed at full blast it was clipping, you could have probably avoided the first issue with the other amp by doing this. its also alot simpler to do this with a 100hz tone for several reasons, one, woofers can take more crap then tweeters, and two, a clipped 100hz wave will clip earlier then the 1khz and is more notcable because you get high harmonic sounds with the low bass tone.

C

Codifus

Junior Audioholic
its pretty simple to do this and ive done this before to set the volume gain on my ipod as i noticed at full blast it was clipping, you could have probably avoided the first issue with the other amp by doing this. its also alot simpler to do this with a 100hz tone for several reasons, one, woofers can take more crap then tweeters, and two, a clipped 100hz wave will clip earlier then the 1khz and is more notcable because you get high harmonic sounds with the low bass tone.
Good suggestion...thanks for the tip!

CD

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
the A500 looks good from a reveiws perspective, i guess ill just be careful and be sure not to crank the gains to high.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Depends what you are comparing it to..
Compared to a Bose.. Not bad.
Compared to a higher quality brand, look elsewhere..

Just my $0.01... ;)

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i just want an amp that will give me clean power that functions correctly and you cant compare pro-audio gear to bose....... bose is like overpriced computer speakers.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Depends what you are comparing it to..
Compared to a Bose.. Not bad.
Compared to a higher quality brand, look elsewhere..

Just my $0.01... ;)
That's pretty vague. Can you expand on "higher quality brands"? I would say Behringer amps do a great job for the money (probably the best in their price range).

Just my $0.02... ;)

(see, I have one more cent than you):D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis