is behringer trash?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
i just want an amp that will give me clean power that functions correctly and you cant compare pro-audio gear to bose....... bose is like overpriced computer speakers.
Bose isn't just "like overpriced computer speakers" they actually happen to sell computer speakers that are overpriced.:D

C

Codifus

Junior Audioholic
Depends what you are comparing it to..
Compared to a Bose.. Not bad.
Compared to a higher quality brand, look elsewhere..

Just my $0.01... ;)
And you know this from experience, right?

CD

J

jamie2112

Banned
Depends what you are comparing it to..
Compared to a Bose.. Not bad.
Compared to a higher quality brand, look elsewhere..

Just my $0.01... ;)
How bout WRONG!!!! Compared to 20k amps the Behringers hold their own.They are built like tanks and are the BEST amp anywhere near their price range.The DCX 2496 is an amazing unit and again for the price you cant find anything comparable..........just my $0 .75:D I got way more than both youz guyz

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
what do you think of Daytons 150wpc amp on parts express? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812
That amp is not 150 watts per channel. It is rated 150 watts bridged @ 8 ohms, and 75 watts per channel at 4 ohms, meaning it's rated power in 8 ohms is probably 50-60 watts per channel. That amp is nice if you need to save space and basically have an integrated amplifier with only one input or if you want to use it for a DIY subwoofer build (has a built in low pass x-over and auto signal detection).

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
hmm, i dont need gobs of power, after all i will be seperatley powering the tweeter and the woofer of my speaker and it will be actively crossed over, like i said, i just need a good amp that will deliver clean power to my speakers and not fall apart on me.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
50wpc. atm im running 100wpc but driving both the high and low sections off one amp, i figure especially with the passive x-overs gone so they wont be eating power ill only need 50wpc.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
50wpc. atm im running 100wpc but driving both the high and low sections off one amp, i figure especially with the passive x-overs gone so they wont be eating power ill only need 50wpc.
That's a very dangerous assumption. You may want to look at the specific SPL/watt on each of the drivers you are powering and consider the amp needs accordingly.

The good news is that your effeciency should go up from the passive-crossover system: particularly where there's deliberate loss to bring more effecient drivers to match less effecient ones.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
i will get that infomation from the MFG. also im thinking about just sticking with the behringer so i can adjust the gain levels accordingly and use an spl meter to make sure im getting the same spl from each driver.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I'd stick with the Behringer. If you're going to go active, there's no reason to risk not having enough power.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
not to mention if im going to do something like this i'd better get good equipment. no reason to go high end and buy crummy components.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
My A500 works fine, but I use it for driving a sub and would never use it for the 3khz range just in case. Still when I did use it on my speakers I never had any issues.

I'd go with Yamaha amps if I weren't so cheap.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I've got an EP2000 powering my 15" sub and it works just fine. I was a little afraid that I would hear some amp hum as my only previous experience with pro gear was when I had a college roommate that was a DJ. He had an amp, (I think it was either QSC or Crown), and while it had gobs of power and was great for parties, it had serious hum when the room was quiet. But who knows, maybe the mixing board was introducing the noise and not the amp. I have noticed that when I turn the gain all the way up on my eQ2, I get noticeable hum, but as long as I turn the gain on the EQ down a little, the EP2000 is silent.

So I guess this was a long-winded way of saying, I think Behringer makes good amps.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
what do you think of Daytons 150wpc amp on parts express? http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-812
That Dayton amo has its uses but cranking the snot out of a system isn't one of them. It's good for lower level use and distributed audio, though. Jamo has sold the same model and I know of several that are still working fine after many years.

In the same price ballpark, I would get the Behringer A500. The one I put in a bar/restaurant works great and one of the bartenders cranks it as high as I set it to go, on a regular basis. Oddly enough, I never see that the input controls have been changed.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That Dayton amo has its uses but cranking the snot out of a system isn't one of them. It's good for lower level use and distributed audio, though. Jamo has sold the same model and I know of several that are still working fine after many years.

In the same price ballpark, I would get the Behringer A500. The one I put in a bar/restaurant works great and one of the bartenders cranks it as high as I set it to go, on a regular basis. Oddly enough, I never see that the input controls have been changed.
I agree with you. I have one and love it.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
That's pretty vague. Can you expand on "higher quality brands"? I would say Behringer amps do a great job for the money (probably the best in their price range).

Just my $0.02... ;)

(see, I have one more cent than you):D
My opinion about Behringer stuff comes from our audio install side.
Beside our home A/V install biz, we have done a number of clubs including some major spots in Las Vegas such as the House of Blues, Rum Jungle, Foundation Room and others..
In many of these systems they had originally used Behringer components including mixing boards and amplifiers, and over time of continuous pushing they break down..
Can you imagine the embarassment when the audio system takes a dump on a Saturday nite with a jammed dance floor...
Or when a big crowd is in for a big fight nite.

The Behringer stuff may work fine for a garage system or budget DJ setup for weekend weddings.. :rolleyes:
But when I have to send out one of our teams to troubleshoot a system because of a cheap component breakdown it makes little economic sense to use the low end stuff.

Kinda like the early stuff from Bob Carver such as the Phase Linear 400 & 700, great watts per $ but if it blew driving a 4 Ohm load one could lose an entire output stage.. And the downtime & repair cost exceeded the difference for having the better & more reliable components...

Just my $0.00... ;)

C

Codifus

Junior Audioholic
My opinion about Behringer stuff comes from our audio install side.
Beside our home A/V install biz, we have done a number of clubs including some major spots in Las Vegas such as the House of Blues, Rum Jungle, Foundation Room and others..
In many of these systems they had originally used Behringer components including mixing boards and amplifiers, and over time of continuous pushing they break down..
Can you imagine the embarassment when the audio system takes a dump on a Saturday nite with a jammed dance floor...
Or when a big crowd is in for a big fight nite.

The Behringer stuff may work fine for a garage system or budget DJ setup for weekend weddings.. :rolleyes:
But when I have to send out one of our teams to troubleshoot a system because of a cheap component breakdown it makes little economic sense to use the low end stuff.

Kinda like the early stuff from Bob Carver such as the Phase Linear 400 & 700, great watts per $ but if it blew driving a 4 Ohm load one could lose an entire output stage.. And the downtime & repair cost exceeded the difference for having the better & more reliable components...

Just my $0.00... ;)

OK for industrial use perhaps I would look at something like YAMAHA, but for home use? MY EP2000 has a slower, quieter fan in it, and when I play my system hard the amp gets barely warm. "Is that all you got?" I can almost hear it saying:)

Given that the orignal poster was looking for only 150 watts per channel, I think it's safe to assume that his environment won't be as challenging.

Because of its great value and very good sound, for home use I think the Behringer's are hard to beat. I also find it especially interesting that the Behringer amplifiers sound better than the designs they copied, like the Alesis amps.

Of course those with Behringer A500s just need to be careful with setting the gains.

CD

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis