DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Went yesterday to see Iron Man, great movie. Really enjoyed it. Nice mix of action and humor. Don't know much about the comic {nor did I about Transformers} so no comparing on my part, which may be good. Wish you could buy the good ones on the way out of the theater. And Gwyneth was a pleasant surprise as well. Didn't know she was in it.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
Iron Man, No Spoilers

This movie was a "bass-gasm". Oh my goodness.

I think the last movie that ran this hot was War of the Worlds. Loved it! Alot better than Fantastic Four. I was afraid this movie wasn't going to be that good because of the early release date. This movie could have easily went toe to toe with Will Smith's film this July 4th weekend.

Definitely treat yourself and see this in a theater with a nice big screen and good sound. This definitely made the Blu-ray list for me.

Oh, btw stay through the credits at the end!

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I saw the movie this afternoon and collected the Iron Man comics in the 60s (Tales of Suspense, then the Iron Man and Sub-Mariner comic, and later his own title, The Invincible Iron Man). First this movie is excellent, possibly the best superhero movie I have seen. Second, they do a pretty good job in following the comic book from the 60s. In the 1963 comic, after being gravely injured by an exploding shell, Tony Stark was captured by "enemy forces" and forced to build a devastating weapon. Stark's injuries are dire and shrapnel in his chest threatens to pierce his heart. Another prisoner held captive with him, Yin Sen, constructs a magnetic chest plate to keep the shrapnel from reaching Stark's heart, thus keeping him alive. Stark then secretly designs and constructs a suit of powered armor. He then uses the armor to escape, although Yin Sen dies during the attempt. Stark takes revenge on his kidnappers, then heads back to rejoin the American forces. As such, the movie does an excellent job following the original story in Tales of Suspense #39 (though they changed the location from Vietnam to Afghanistan to make the story more current, and changed Sen from an Asian scientist to a Russian scientist). Robert Downey Jr. does an excellent job in playing Tony Stark. I won't say any more so as not to spoil the movie for anyone. However do stay through all the credits, there is an exciting surprise at the end. As a result, I can't wait until next year!
Sounds like you quoted what they have on Wiki. ;)

Yes, I only have a few of the original Tales of Suspense (with Iron Man and Captain America) and I guess I never truly knew Iron Man's origin. I just remember him gripping his heart a lot, like he had a heart problem in the Merry Marvel Marching Society cartoon show.

Anyway, just came back from the movie and it was the best comic book movie I've ever seen.

Didn't stay through the credits though. Guess I should have paid more attention to this thread. What did we miss?

D

DDigitalguy06

Audioholic
i m gonna see this movie today! 1pm pdt.:)
but,I am not gonna buy soda or snacks. i'll just bring mine own. hehe. Shhh.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Sounds like you quoted what they have on Wiki. ;)

Yes, I only have a few of the original Tales of Suspense (with Iron Man and Captain America) and I guess I never truly knew Iron Man's origin. I just remember him gripping his heart a lot, like he had a heart problem in the Merry Marvel Marching Society cartoon show.

Anyway, just came back from the movie and it was the best comic book movie I've ever seen.

Didn't stay through the credits though. Guess I should have paid more attention to this thread. What did we miss?
Yes, as I was writing my post, I thought I better not trust my memory completely, and lifted some text from Wiki. But what was written there is consistent with what I remembered.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just got home from watching the movie. All I can say is that it was AWESOME!!!!!!! Very well done. What surprised me the most is that Jeff Bridges was cast with a shaved head. :eek::eek: Totally new look for him!!!!!! He is such a good actor though. Robert Downey Jr. also did a superb job playing his role. I will have to buy this one once it becomes available.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The director of Shield, Fury, shows up. He tells Stark he isn't the only superhero. He's played by Samuel L. Jackson.

SheepStar

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Haven't seen it yet.
But I went to IMDB and it got 8.4 out of 10!!!!
This is not normal :D

I thought it was great. It was modernized and the plot was simple and understandable to me - someone who has never read the comics. I loved the themes of Stark realizing that he was blundering through his life without purpose and that all his money and efforts really meant nothing. Cool story overall, and great work by Downey, Paltrow and Bridges.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Overall, I liked Iron Man.

I just didn't think the climax (Iron Man vs the other bigger Iron Guy) was too exciting. Was Jeff Bridges' character also a genius like Tony Stark? How did he figure out how to work that thing?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Haven't seen it yet.
But I went to IMDB and it got 8.4 out of 10!!!!
This is not normal :D
It's got a 94% over at Rotten Tomatoes. Highest rated movie this year.

Yes, as I was writing my post, I thought I better not trust my memory completely, and lifted some text from Wiki. But what was written there is consistent with what I remembered.
Aw, what's the point in having a memory if you can't use it to look foolish. I do it all the time. ;)

majorloser

majorloser

Went to see it Saturday.

The movie was AWESOME. Definitely one of the best, if not THE best comic book character movie made to date. Robert Downey Jr. played the part perfectly. He finally found a role that meets his personality. Not a huge amount of F/X that fills the time like Spiderman and some decent acting performances to boot.

We'll just have to wait to see if The Dark Knight can live up to this film.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I couldn't believe this movie raked in over $100 Million in just 3 days. I watched it again (I missed the thing at the end of the credits the first time). It's one hell-uv-a show.:D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I think Iron Man was fantastic! It may well be the best film adaption of a comic book ever, even topping Bale's Batman Begins and the Spiderman movies. Robert Downey Jr. is amazing; an Oscar nom would not be inappropriate. Bridges was a great bad guy which really surprised me given the type of roles I've seen him in (usually a flawed hero himself). And Paltrow was superb as well, certainly playing against type for her. She & Downey have some terrific chemistry. Casting wise, Leslie Bibb spiced things up, too. I hope they keep her around for the next films...Avengers, anyone?:D

Updating the story was a must, and a war in the Mid East is the perfect retcon for the 'Nam era origins. The evolution of the suit was perhaps a bit too fast but hey- it's just a two hour movie! Interesting choice to leave the traditional Iron Man archenemies out; it wouldn't have worked very well to have Mandarin as the first foe for the nascent hero.

The effects are absolutely first rate...I'm amazed at how far the technology has come. Of course, Iron Man, like the Surfer, was made for CGI. Computerized characters can't quite capture facial expressions and skin tone well enough to avoid the Eerie Valley Effect but it's wonderfully suited for robots, armor, etc.

Two thumbs way, way up. It's hard to see how they could have made it any better. Marvel belted this one outta the part.:D

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis