Interesting Day at Best Buy

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm glad I have been taking my time with this. It's been an excellent journey so far. Getting to hear the SVS subs was a great find especially seeing what a change in the settings makes. They had both the 4000 and 16 ultras and I like the 4000's better with the way they were configured and they definitely seem to have enough punch for my space with running dual. I will find out for sure once they are delivered and I get everything setup. Since I am doing some flooring work this weekend they won't be delivered for another 2 weeks or so but I am patient lol. Put out a call to a couple more boutique shops to see if they have anything to audition and waiting for a call back now.
Well I think you did great for sub choice (and AVR, tho the 4500 posted above would easily equal it). I think a pair of 4000s wouldn't make me miss my MK5s at all. In fact I wanted SVS, but my budget just didn't have the room.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
@Pogre Best part was I got both subs for $3200 :) vs the $3600 offered from SVS directly.

I just got off the phone with one of the shops and get to go audition some more speakers including the Revel F206 and Concerta series and several other brands. The F35's in white specifically are on sale for about $500 per speaker at his shop. He said he also has a few used speakers from the older Focal lineup. This should be a fun trip. Odd that it's going to be over 80 degree's today and it feels like Christmas lol.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre Best part was I got both subs for $3200 :) vs the $3600 offered from SVS directly.

I just got off the phone with one of the shops and get to go audition some more speakers including the Revel F206 and Concerta series and several other brands. The F35's in white specifically are on sale for about $500 per speaker at his shop. He said he also has a few used speakers from the older Focal lineup. This should be a fun trip. Odd that it's going to be over 80 degree's today and it feels like Christmas lol.
That's awesome. If I had the money I'd have a pair of either PB4000s or PB16 Ultras. It's nice to see that you're not missing out on the part of this journey that some folks do. Having some fun!

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
So that visit was definitely fun. His "Shop" is basically a man cave made out of a giant storage unit. It has 2 levels. The upper level; has a few small offices and a Theater room. The Theater room is where he has the Revel F206 as his mains with a matching center. 2 Rel 10 inch subs. The front stage are hooked up to a 250w per channel Paradigm amp. I forget the receiver brand but I believe it was either Threshold or Transparent. The entire room was setup as a 11.2.4. After watching some movie clips the only issue I had was the center seemed a little on the weak side for vocals. That could have easily been a configuration issue. The other thing that did shock me was the dual personality of the F206's he had. I was sampling different songs in 2 channel mode and those speakers really liked power. At low volumes the high end seemed to roll off and sound almost flat. Once you kicked the volume up they sounded amazing. You almost get a feeling like you are insulting the speakers and they are taking it personal when you don't turn them up lol. I will be meeting with him again in the next few days and this time will have the wife along. He wants to setup some of the speakers in a more appropriate 2 channel configuration and will be bringing in some of the other speakers he has to offer including some discontinued Focal Profile speakers although he didn't remember the exact model number. He said he will also have some numbers to what he could offer me as well. Said he should be able to let the Focals go for a really good price as they are not in use at his home and he would rather they go to someone where they will get some use. He said they are used but have very low hours. He also said he thinks the Focal Profile speakers he has are better for music than the Revels but also acknowledges it's his personal preference. I did get to listen to another speaker I was interested in even though the wife took 1 look at a photo of them and said Hell no lol. He had a setup like the old Memorex commercials (yes I am starting to date myself). The one with the guy lounging in a chair with his hair blowing back and the JBL L100's blasting at him. They do sound good and I wouldn't mind owning some lol. His company normally does custom installations and home theater design. From what I can see they do some amazing work in the Twin Cities area.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
Interesting twist. I never thought I would start with a used st of speakers but at the prices being offered I can't take it into serious consideration. I will be setting up a time soon for the listening session with the wife but know that the loos are all approved. I found that he is offering a set of his own Focal Profile 928 towers with a Focal 908 center for just under $2900 or a set of Revel Performa3 F206 with a C205 for $3900 which are in his Theater Demo room. Can't wait to see how the Focals compare to the Revel's.

S

SimplyEpic

Audioholic
Patience is the name of the game in these days and times. My listening has been postponed due to the idiots in Minneapolis burning businesses and looting. I really do understand the protesting and the sheer anger but taking it out on other peoples businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with the situation especially privately owned small mom and pop shops is ridiculous.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Patience is the name of the game in these days and times. My listening has been postponed due to the idiots in Minneapolis burning businesses and looting. I really do understand the protesting and the sheer anger but taking it out on other peoples businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with the situation especially privately owned small mom and pop shops is ridiculous.
With the obvious evidence provided with the video scene, I know they were fired but I don't understand why the city did not arrest the murder perpetrator and the policemen team accompanying him as well. They are accomplices and responsible for not having prevented that homicide. I believe that is one big factor in the riots which are happening.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
With the obvious evidence provided with the video scene, I know they were fired but I don't understand why the city did not arrest the murder perpetrator and the policemen team accompanying him as well. They are accomplices and responsible for not having prevented that homicide. I believe that is one big factor in the riots which are happening.
My understanding is that the murder perpetrator was charged with 3rd degree murder!

My police Lt. GF attended some training today where they showed a full 10 minute video and her response was "he just needs to be gone" (talking about the officer who did he knee/neck thing). That is not any part of police training and once someone is handcuffed and on the ground, they do not pose a threat and this guy was not being combative.

Sad times.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My understanding is that the murder perpetrator was charged with 3rd degree murder!

My police Lt. GF attended some training today where they showed a full 10 minute video and her response was "he just needs to be gone" (talking about the officer who did he knee/neck thing). That is not any part of police training and once someone is handcuffed and on the ground, they do not pose a threat and this guy was not being combative.

Sad times.
It just popped up on my radar that they knew each other. They worked security at a night club for years I guess. Something is definitely fishy...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It just popped up on my radar that they knew each other. They worked security at a night club for years I guess. Something is definitely fishy...
Yeah. Seems like someone had an axe to grind...
I agree, that cop, and the ACCOMPLICES that stood there with their thumbs up their asses, should all be arrested. Should’ve been days ago.
What I can’t figure out is how destroying your neighborhood proves anything, except how fukking stupid you are.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Though I hope we can avoid the political implications involved here... I am reminded of some lyrics:
“One is in the air, one is in the chamber,
Y’all ask me what the fcuk I’m doin’,
I’m releasin’ anger...”

And a Famous Revolution in Europe:
"Liberté, égalité, fraternité"

Please know, I am not condoning this, but having grown up within 20 minutes of Ferguson Mo where the riots hit hard a few years ago, I understand very, very well.

And no, rioting is not an answer. I do not condone this.
This pattern...
Needs.
To.
Stop.

Unfortunately, it is a passionate response to an inflamed situation. That the causes of such passionate responses continue to occur is the problem. Sadly, this will continue, I'm afraid. It hasn't changed, yet, even though it d@mn well should have.

*sighs

This, however, is not the place to discuss this. Please to return to our regularly scheduled programming. :) Further "Convo" should move to the 'Vent.

Thank you for your time.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Though I hope we can avoid the political implications involved here... I am reminded of some lyrics:
I’m releasin’ anger...”

Please know, I am not condoning this, but having grown up within 20 minutes of Ferguson Mo where the riots hit hard a few years ago, I understand very, very well.

This pattern...
Needs.
To.
Stop.

Unfortunately, it is a passionate response to an inflamed situation. That the causes of such passionate responses continue to occur is the problem. Sadly, this will continue, I'm afraid. It hasn't changed, yet, even though it d@mn well should have.

*sighs

This, however, is not the place to discuss this. Please to return to our regularly scheduled programming. :) Further "Convo" should move to the 'Vent.

Thank you for your time.
Agreed. I don’t know how to do that, or have the wherewithal to start a thread on it. If someone wants to though, I’ll stop by!
Just wanted to add, my wife read that some buses of protesters/rioters were on there way to Mpls, and even St. Cloud which is between Mpls and Brainerd. St cloud is a smaller sized metro, and stores have already closed and warnings been issued.
Smfh.......
Sorry Ryan, back to schedule...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’m releasin’ anger...”

This pattern...
Needs.
To.
Stop.

*sighs

Thank you for your time.
Trevor Noah said it well (I am paraphrasing and probably not saying it so well as he did).
Society is an unspoken agreement to be civil, respect one another, and abide by the rules, because that is better than the alternative.
However, when it becomes obvious that the people who are responsible for enforcing the rules casually violate those rules and target a particular subset of the population, this unspoken agreement is no longer being honored. He was not celebrating the violence, merely "rationalizing" it.
He also made the point that it wasn't just about Floyd, but also a culmination of events with Cooper in central park, and Arbrey in Georgia. Not to mention the impact of Covid-19 to peoples' general security.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis