Inside An Ultra Bookshelf Speaker

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I had some time on my hands this afternoon and took one of my speakers apart just to get a good look inside. I snapped off some pics to share for anyone interested.

20170515_151535-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145530-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145706-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145646-1305x734.jpg

I learned quickly that the tweeter is in 2 pieces. When I took the center bolts off it fell apart and the magnet fell inside the cabinet. 'Bout gave me a heart attack! The next few pics are of the tweeter from different angles and a good shot of the numbers on the side of it. It's a 4 ohm tweeter.

20170515_145624-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145440-1305x734.jpg

Fortunately I didn't destroy it by dropping the magnet in the cabinet. I also grabbed some good pics of the woofer.

20170515_145058-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145132-1305x734.jpg
20170515_145150-1305x734.jpg

20170515_145554-1305x734.jpg

Both drivers are quite heavy with appropriately sized magnets. Just handling them feels like quality. I love doing stuff like this. In the next post I'll put some pics up of the inside and crossovers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
20170515_150222-1305x734.jpg

I don't know jack about crossover design or building one, but these are pretty. To me, they look like quality parts were used. I know these speakers sure do sound nice. I'll post a few more showing the stuffing and internal bracing.

20170515_150342-1305x734.jpg

20170515_150412-1305x734.jpg

Even padded wires (which look to be 14awg) that I assume are for eliminating vibrations. This cabinet is well braced and padded.

20170515_150527-1305x734.jpg

That's pretty much it. I didn't go into review mode or get very wordy. I have more to learn before I can competently do a review. Hope you guys enjoy the pics!

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There's actually a really good video or set of videos on YouTube of a guy taking apart ultra bookshelf and prime bookshelf speakers. It's very interesting and something I would never have the nerve to do.
You have more balls than me because I would have the nerve to do that with any of my speakers. If I did I'd never get them back together right, and if I did get them back together right I'd always hear something and think I ruined then. Good job on your part for having the nerve to do that. Please say they are back together already and sound as they did before?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have no problem taking my speakers apart.

I don't think that tweeter is "2 pieces" exactly. You have to remove only the outer screws to remove from cabinet. Assemble the tweeter as a unit and verify it still works correctly before you drop it back in the cabinet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's actually a really good video or set of videos on YouTube of a guy taking apart ultra bookshelf and prime bookshelf speakers. It's very interesting and something I would never have the nerve to do.
You have more balls than me because I would have the nerve to do that with any of my speakers. If I did I'd never get them back together right, and if I did get them back together right I'd always hear something and think I ruined then. Good job on your part for having the nerve to do that. Please say they are back together already and sound as they did before?

Watching a video wouldn't have been nearly as much fun!

I have quite a bit of experience with handling drivers from my car audio days, so I was pretty comfortable doing it. Yes, it's back together and working just as before. I didn't even chip the paint on the screws.

20170515_165320-734x1305.jpg

Hell, I didn't even get any fingerprints on it!

20170515_165431-1305x734.jpg

:p

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no problem taking my speakers apart.

I don't think that tweeter is "2 pieces" exactly. You have to remove only the outer screws to remove from cabinet. Assemble the tweeter as a unit and verify it still works correctly before you drop it back in the cabinet.
It's good. I didn't scratch, tear or dent anything. I'm listening to it right now.

Not gonna lie though... it scared the crap out of me. I was NOT expecting it...

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Interesting dissection, looks to me like a solid speaker.

If you are thinking about doing something like this to your VTF-3s, contact Hsu first to make sure it does not void your warranty!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like someone was bored.:) -- I have opened up around 85 sets of speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting dissection, looks to me like a solid speaker.

If you are thinking about doing something like this to your VTF-3s, contact Hsu first to make sure it does not void your warranty!
Thanks shady. I forgot to mention the 1" thick baffle. It's a really solid cabinet.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
It just goes to show how much variability and difference exists on the forum. Except for DIY speakers I built, I have never opened or disassembled a set of speakers that werent broke or had a problem.

Kudos to Pogre for his curiosity and skills. I would never have seen this post coming. What a refreshing thing to read. Thanks.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the courage. No way I would have done that.
Not only that but if my wife walked in the room and my hands were full of screws, and the tweeter and drivers were strewn about the floor I think she'd have a stroke after all the money I've spent. I literally think she'd faint.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not only that but if my wife walked in the room and my hands were full of screws, and the tweeter and drivers were strewn about the floor I think she'd have a stroke after all the money I've spent. I literally think she'd faint.

Lol. My wife was a little nervous, but she sat on the couch and watched me. I was explaining the different parts to her while she nodded and pretended to be cool.

She's seen me do stuff like this a hundred times so she didn't have an aneurysm, but I think she held her breath whIle i put it back together...

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Lol. My wife was a little nervous, but she sat on the couch and watched me. I was explaining the different parts to her while she nodded and pretended to be cool.

She's seen me do stuff like this a hundred times so she didn't have an aneurysm, but I think she held her breath whIle i put it back together...
I give you credit, you did it, had the nerve to do it and put it back together perfectly. I wouldn't even have come close to doing that. I try not to even touch my speakers. I rarely take off the speaker grills even. I treat them like babies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like someone was bored.:) -- I have opened up around 85 sets of speakers.
Ziegl have you done any measurements of some of the speakers that have passed through your hands?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I give you credit, you did it, had the nerve to do it and put it back together perfectly. I wouldn't even have come close to doing that. I try not to even touch my speakers. I rarely take off the speaker grills even. I treat them like babies.

I was very careful. No power tools of any kind. I wasn't kidding with the white gloves either. I have yet to touch them with my bare hands. I've never cleaned them with anything but a swiffer or water and a soft cloth if necessary. I love my speakers. I'm also very inquisitive and comfortable with tools.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have done about 50-75% of the mods on my Infinity Primus Towers. Some of the guys on this thread likely haven't been around AH long enough to know what I refer to. But, I did the magnetic shield caulking and the peal-and-seal additions. I haven't done any of the extra bracing, etc (yet, maybe eventually).

But, I don't take my speakers apart just to have a look-see. If I'm taking something apart, it is for repairs or mods only. I have no problems voiding warranties ;)

I note that there seems to be open slots on those crossover boards for components. I would guess that they use the same boards for the towers too, and maybe even for the Prime line too. That is a very wise manufacturing decision: Only produce 1 model of universal crossover board, that will help to drive the cost of manufacturing down and eliminate the possibility of getting the wrong board. Then, you simply populate the components needed for the particular speaker, maybe need a jumper here and there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis