Inherited system shutting off

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
Hello,

I recently inherited a home theater system from a relative. I hooked it all up and set it up how I thought it should be. The first issue is the YPAO setup, it almost always shuts off in the process. The second issue is that when watching movies/shows that have loud segments, more often than not, the receiver turns off. I have done several things to try and troubleshoot the issue but haven't been able to resolve the problem. I am looking for suggestions on how to find out the issue and resolve it.

specs:

Yamaha HTR-5990 - 120W/ 8ohm per channel
4 x Klipsch B-2 bookshelf speakers - Nominal 75W, Max 300W, 8 ohms
1 x Klipsch C-1 center channel - Nominal 50W, Max 200W, 8 ohms
1 x Klipsch Synergy Sub-10

I see no whiskers on the wiring, all speakers are the correct polarity (black to silver, red to copper), 14-2 wire used. Sometimes, I can get through the YPAO setup, but it still will shut off during loud moments of tv/movie watching. There is no specific speaker the YPAO process fails on, sometimes it’s the first, others it’s the last or somewhere in the middle (though never the sub). I measured resistance on the speakers, and none seem to be 8 ohms, in fact all are somewhere between 4-6-ohm range. Not sure if this is an issue, but it's something I did. I should add I did not remove the speakers from the enclosure to measure, just did it from the terminals.

I am by no means an audiophile; all previous sound systems were sets with receiver and speakers. I am an elt engineer, so I understand elt, continuity, resistance, etc., but I am ignorant in any other test to determine my root cause.

Is the receiver my issue, or is there a rogue speaker? Are all of my speakers rated too low for this receiver, or is it vice versa?

Thanks
Ian

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Is reciever placed in a well ventilated space?
Does it get very hot?
Does it turn off if you only have one or 2 speakers connected (and sub i guess since np there but i assume thats a line out connection)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
Is reciever placed in a well ventilated space?
Does it get very hot?
Does it turn off if you only have one or 2 speakers connected (and sub i guess since np there but i assume thats a line out connection)?

0113191723.jpg
0113191724.jpg

Its on a fairly open entertainment center shelf. About 2 in above it, speakers on either side but otherwise fairly open.

I disconnected center and rear speakers, ran YPAO again, and it shutoff on the first speaker (F/L).

Sub is an LFE connection.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If its not heat, the reciever might be faulty. Maybe someone knows more what to look for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might want to try connecting up one speaker at a time and see what happens. Seems it could be one of your fronts from just using those, but try each.

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
I went ahead and switched out the F/L and R/L speakers. I was able to get through YPAO, then I added one speaker at a time to the mix and got through YPAO setup with all speakers. I suspect when I watch something it's still going to shutoff the reciever, but, I will try and remove the rear speakers when this happens next. Will keep the sub updated on progress. Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good luck. I was thinking more about trying each speaker one at a time even at high volume, then if that goes fine, start with one and add one at a time and see if any particular channel indicates issues. Earlier when YPAO wouldn't complete did it provide a message or just simply shut off the avr?

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
Good luck. I was thinking more about trying each speaker one at a time even at high volume, then if that goes fine, start with one and add one at a time and see if any particular channel indicates issues. Earlier when YPAO wouldn't complete did it provide a message or just simply shut off the avr?
It would just shutoff.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All the wiring was new? I know you said you inspected connections and polarity....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Are you connecting bare wires to each end, receiver and speaker? If so, be very careful about one strand shorting.
May want to add spade lugs with solder on the wires or banana plugs to eliminate shorting possibility.

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
Are you connecting bare wires to each end, receiver and speaker? If so, be very careful about one strand shorting.
May want to add spade lugs with solder on the wires or banana plugs to eliminate shorting possibility.
I have thought about those. But am trying to get by with what I have. I am not sure what you mean by "strand shorting" is this also referred to as whiskers, when one single strand of wire shorts out to the other terminal? I checked both ends of the wires several times, even had my wife look them over to make sure I'm not crazy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, it is all new wire. I bought 14-2 speaker wire from Home Depot to hook it up. I know, I'm cheap.
No need to buy anything but proper gauge copper wire for the length/impedance. Just asked because if it was from the old installation and had been stapled thru or something might have compromised it....

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
No need to buy anything but proper gauge copper wire for the length/impedance. Just asked because if it was from the old installation and had been stapled thru or something might have compromised it....

I wasn't sure if I was buying the correct size, based on everything I saw online, 14 or 16 was ok, so I went 14-2 for ~20ft of wire for 8 ohm speakers.

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
Does it matter that my receiver puts out 120W/channel, but my speakers are 75W (300W max) and 50W(200W max)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not really. That sort of consideration is pretty much useless really as speaker wattage max and minimum info are mostly without definition. If you take into consideration the impedance/output capbilities of the receiver as well as the impedance and sensitivity of the speakers, and your distance from them as well as your spl (sound pressure level) requirements, then considering from there would be far more useful than wattage (which was largely unspecified, too from your example). Try this for an idea of how the relationship works but keep in mind that speakers vary in impedance by frequency as well as sensitivity specs aren't uniform. http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

ps bottom line it sounds like your receiver is likely just fine for the speakers

I

Ian762

Enthusiast
I don't suppose there is a way to tell if a speaker is bad by using a multi-meter, or other common measuring device? Assuming the speaker is not totally blown. I've been watching a movie scene on repeat for a while now, swapping speakers each time the system shuts off. I still haven't singled out an issue, unless of course I have multiple culprits. Still testing though.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't suppose there is a way to tell if a speaker is bad by using a multi-meter, or other common measuring device? Assuming the speaker is not totally blown. I've been watching a movie scene on repeat for a while now, swapping speakers each time the system shuts off. I still haven't singled out an issue, unless of course I have multiple culprits. Still testing though.
I'd think that your measurement of ohm readings on each speaker and none at "0" are significant from what I've read but I'm not the guy :) I'd think more likely an amp issue otherwise but don't know if each driver particularly needs to be measured for analysis....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis