Inherited system shutting off

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello,

I recently inherited a home theater system from a relative. I hooked it all up and set it up how I thought it should be. The first issue is the YPAO setup, it almost always shuts off in the process. The second issue is that when watching movies/shows that have loud segments, more often than not, the receiver turns off. I have done several things to try and troubleshoot the issue but haven't been able to resolve the problem. I am looking for suggestions on how to find out the issue and resolve it.

specs:

Yamaha HTR-5990 - 120W/ 8ohm per channel
4 x Klipsch B-2 bookshelf speakers - Nominal 75W, Max 300W, 8 ohms
1 x Klipsch C-1 center channel - Nominal 50W, Max 200W, 8 ohms
1 x Klipsch Synergy Sub-10

I see no whiskers on the wiring, all speakers are the correct polarity (black to silver, red to copper), 14-2 wire used. Sometimes, I can get through the YPAO setup, but it still will shut off during loud moments of tv/movie watching. There is no specific speaker the YPAO process fails on, sometimes it’s the first, others it’s the last or somewhere in the middle (though never the sub). I measured resistance on the speakers, and none seem to be 8 ohms, in fact all are somewhere between 4-6-ohm range. Not sure if this is an issue, but it's something I did. I should add I did not remove the speakers from the enclosure to measure, just did it from the terminals.

I am by no means an audiophile; all previous sound systems were sets with receiver and speakers. I am an elt engineer, so I understand elt, continuity, resistance, etc., but I am ignorant in any other test to determine my root cause.

Is the receiver my issue, or is there a rogue speaker? Are all of my speakers rated too low for this receiver, or is it vice versa?

Thanks
Ian
The sub does not load the receiver. What you measured is the DC resistance and not the impedance. However if you measured the DC resistance of 4 ohms it is not an 8 ohm speaker. The impedance varies with frequency, but if the DC resistance is 4 ohms, the impedance will not be 8 ohms. Manufacturers impedance specs have to be taken with a grain of salt.

That receiver was introduced in 2006 and is rated for 8 ohms. No spec is given for less than 8 ohms. I suspect that the receiver does not like the impedance presented by those speakers.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I have thought about those. But am trying to get by with what I have. I am not sure what you mean by "strand shorting" is this also referred to as whiskers, when one single strand of wire shorts out to the other terminal? I checked both ends of the wires several times, even had my wife look them over to make sure I'm not crazy.
Yes, but it can also short to the metal box itself at the base of terminal, doesn't have to reach all the way to the other wire terminal that most likely is too far to reach in the first place. May need to look with a magnifying glass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis