Infinity Reference Speakers -- serious good prices

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Samsung is closing it out?
The Reference line seems to have lacked strong marketing in the USA -- they seem to put them on sale around 6 times a year -- however, most people who buy them seem to really like them

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The Reference line seems to have lacked strong marketing in the USA -- they seem to put them on sale around 6 times a year -- however, most people who buy them seem to really like them
Just seems that it's like JBL now, holes in the product line, no new products, etc...or is Infinity still more viable outside the US?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Just seems that it's like JBL now, holes in the product line, no new products, etc...or is Infinity still more viable outside the US?
I think JBL is more viable outside the USA -- I think it is more about Revel now, than Infinity in the home products -- however, Infinity is still strong in the Car audio world

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think JBL is more viable outside the USA -- I think it is more about Revel now, than Infinity in the home products -- however, Infinity is still strong in the Car audio world
I'd bet JBL car audio does well, too. That's why Samsung bought Harman for the most part in any case....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Holy hell that is a good deal. I don't think people realize just how good these speakers are and how much engineering is put into them. Its a shame that it looks like Infinity is being shutdown for home audio. Harman, and by extension Samsung, is making a big mistake here.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Holy hell that is a good deal. I don't think people realize just how good these speakers are and how much engineering is put into them. Its a shame that it looks like Infinity is being shutdown for home audio. Harman, and by extension Samsung, is making a big mistake here.
The measurements don't really look so great to me. I do tend to trust your opinion, though.

What's your take on the measurements vs. the listening tests?

These are in a way kind of the followup to the Primus line, I suppose.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The measurements don't really look so great to me. I do tend to trust your opinion, though.

What's your take on the measurements vs. the listening tests?

These are in a way kind of the followup to the Primus line, I suppose.
The measurements are very good, considering the price. Yeah, they are not on the level of high end revel or JBL M2s, but very good. For that price, absolutely unbeatable. Some measurements I trust more than others. I am sure the listening tests for these speakers came out very well. The Primus line measured very flat except for above 10 kHz, but below 10 kHz is far more important.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The contrast between these two sets of measurements are rather astonishing!

This is the chart Average Joe Audiophile got (Red is Reference 152, Blue is Infinity Primus 163):

This is the FR chart that S&V got for the Reference 162 (purple, green is center and blue is sub):

Joe shows a 5dB increase from ~3800 to ~5400Hz and stays somewhat steady as the frequency goes to 20kHz
S&V shows a 6dB increase from ~3500 to ~7000Hz and almost goes vertical as it reaches 20kHz!

Do you think these are actual differences between the 152 and the 162?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Here is brent butterworth's measurements for the R263:

This is useful to see what kind of target curve infinity was after. There are some similarities between them, mainly a slight dip around 3 kHz.

Keep in mind the measuring techniques will affect the measured responses, and these guys were not measuring in the same way. None of these graphs are a hundred percent comparable.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sad Times:(!
It looks like this is the last of Infinity Home Audio.
If you go to the Infinity webpage (link below) and click on "Home Audio" (top-middle), aside from a single in-wall/ceiling speaker and 2 accessories, every item left is from this Reference series! Note that the only floorstanding speaker left is the R253 which is not discounted much (if at all). The other items are part of this sale and it looks like they are discounting most items by roughly 60%!

Note that Hyundai has it's own link!

https://www.infinityspeakers.com/

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I wish I remember the price of the R162's when this thread started!
However, I noticed a seller has one pair of these speakers going for $364 shipped.
At that price, these are a very fine speaker!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K7CE9BW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Change of topic:
Also note that CHINA HIRA has them for $500. This is a scam! I went down this path once before (with enough skepticism to avoid getting scammed). You can identify the scam by:
1) Very good price for the product.
2) Request to bypass Amazon ordering system:
-New In Box! Contact us prior to ordering- Storetxolx @ G M A I L , C0M
When you contact them via email, they will tell you to purchase Amazon gift cards for the amount of the sale and give them the codes provided when you buy the virtual gift cards as payment. I guess some people figure they are still buying through Amazon since they are paying Amazon for the cards, but you would lose any security provided from buying through Amazon. Amazon will only provide security that the cards you buy from them are valid, the transference of the card to the scammer and delivery of the item (which you would never see) is outside of Amazon's domain.
The one I investigated involved hacking a legitimate seller's account. Thus, the seller (in my case) had a 98% positive reputation. When I looked at seller reviews, I noticed that all reviews that mentioned a product referred to tennis rackets and accessories (SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers for $500/pair new was the item being sold)!

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I wish I remember the price of the R162's when this thread started!
However, I noticed a seller has one pair of these speakers going for $364 shipped.
At that price, these are a very fine speaker!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K7CE9BW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Change of topic:
Also note that CHINA HIRA has them for $500. This is a scam! I went down this path once before (with enough skepticism to avoid getting scammed). You can identify the scam by:
1) Very good price for the product.
2) Request to bypass Amazon ordering system:

When you contact them via email, they will tell you to purchase Amazon gift cards for the amount of the sale and give them the codes provided when you buy the virtual gift cards as payment. I guess some people figure they are still buying through Amazon since they are paying Amazon for the cards, but you would lose any security provided from buying through Amazon. Amazon will only provide security that the cards you buy from them are valid, the transference of the card to the scammer and delivery of the item (which you would never see) is outside of Amazon's domain.
The one I investigated involved hacking a legitimate seller's account. Thus, the seller (in my case) had a 98% positive reputation. When I looked at seller reviews, I noticed that all reviews that mentioned a product referred to tennis rackets and accessories!
KEW, yep have seen that a Lot! on Amazon, someone selling at a much lower price, a email address was always to follow. Looks like Amazon has cleaned that mess up.

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis