Infinity Reference Speakers -- serious good prices

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I wish I remember the price of the R162's when this thread started!
However, I noticed a seller has one pair of these speakers going for $364 shipped.
At that price, these are a very fine speaker!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00K7CE9BW/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Change of topic:
Also note that CHINA HIRA has them for $500. This is a scam! I went down this path once before (with enough skepticism to avoid getting scammed). You can identify the scam by:
1) Very good price for the product.
2) Request to bypass Amazon ordering system:

When you contact them via email, they will tell you to purchase Amazon gift cards for the amount of the sale and give them the codes provided when you buy the virtual gift cards as payment. I guess some people figure they are still buying through Amazon since they are paying Amazon for the cards, but you would lose any security provided from buying through Amazon. Amazon will only provide security that the cards you buy from them are valid, the transference of the card to the scammer and delivery of the item (which you would never see) is outside of Amazon's domain.
The one I investigated involved hacking a legitimate seller's account. Thus, the seller (in my case) had a 98% positive reputation. When I looked at seller reviews, I noticed that all reviews that mentioned a product referred to tennis rackets and accessories!
I got a pair of the 162's and the 263 center for under 400 shipped when they were on sale. Using them in my living room

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I got a pair of the 162's and the 263 center for under 400 shipped when they were on sale. Using them in my living room
Sweet! That was probably the deal going when this thread was started.
I'm thinking you are more than a little happy with them (I still consider $364/pr. a bargain)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah!
My guess is they hack into the account and figure they have a few days to "sell" as much as they can before Amazon shuts them down.
I wish Amazon had a "report seller" link like we have here ('report poster") to call attention to dubious situations.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Sad to see the Infinity name in home speakers going away. Back in the early 80s the IRS speakers were state of the art. I currently own some Primus 363s and 163s. Not as musical (to me) as my old DCM Time Windows but at least close or better the Polk Model 7Bs and New Advents that I owned back in the day. Time marches on (I guess)
Dave

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The R162's are back for $200/pr!
I have heard these, and I don't think you can get a better pair of speakers (new) for $200!
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?CJPID=CJ&cjevent=a28b2aecde4f11e88199011a0a24060e

R152 are $170/pr!
https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/REFERENCE+152.html?cgid=speakers&dwvar_REFERENCE 152_color=Black-USA-Current

Unfortunately, no current discount on center speakers. However, using a single R162 at $200 (assuming you have no purpose for the second speaker) for your center makes for a $570 5.0 system that beats anything I can think of at that price point.

Not deep enough for HT, but for music, adding the matching 10" SUB R10 (31Hz) discounted from $400MSRP to $175 would make for a very nice, high-value 2.1 music system for $375 total.
I have not heard this sub, but think Infinity/Harman knows how to make a good woofer (SUB R10 spec is 31Hz, and R162 is 49Hz).

https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/REFERENCE+SUB+R10.html?cgid=speakers&dwvar_REFERENCE SUB R10_color=Black-USA-Current#prefn1=brand&prefn2=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&prefv1=Infinity&prefv2=false&prefn3=isSupport&start=1

Alternately, the Dayton Audio SUB 1200 (which I have heard) from Parts Express is a fine option that will save a few dollars over the Infinity (if you are not interested in the matching aesthetic of sticking with Infinity), and do a decent job with HT.
https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

Either way, the R162's are an incredible deal at $200/Pr!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The R162's are back for $200/pr!
I have heard these, and I don't think you can get a better pair of speakers (new) for $200!
https://www.harmanaudio.com/R162BK.html?CJPID=CJ&cjevent=a28b2aecde4f11e88199011a0a24060e

R152 are $170/pr!
https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/REFERENCE+152.html?cgid=speakers&dwvar_REFERENCE 152_color=Black-USA-Current

Unfortunately, no current discount on center speakers. However, using a single R162 at $200 (assuming you have no purpose for the second speaker) for your center makes for a $570 5.0 system that beats anything I can think of at that price point.

Not deep enough for HT, but for music, adding the matching 10" SUB R10 (31Hz) discounted from $400MSRP to $175 would make for a very nice, high-value 2.1 music system for $375 total.
I have not heard this sub, but think Infinity/Harman knows how to make a good woofer (SUB R10 spec is 31Hz, and R162 is 49Hz).

https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers/REFERENCE+SUB+R10.html?cgid=speakers&dwvar_REFERENCE SUB R10_color=Black-USA-Current#prefn1=brand&prefn2=isRefurbished&prefv3=false&prefv1=Infinity&prefv2=false&prefn3=isSupport&start=1

Alternately, the Dayton Audio SUB 1200 (which I have heard) from Parts Express is a fine option that will save a few dollars over the Infinity (if you are not interested in the matching aesthetic of sticking with Infinity), and do a decent job with HT.
https://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/speaker-subwoofer-reviews/71766-dayton-audio-sub-1200-subwoofer-review.html

Either way, the R162's are an incredible deal at $200/Pr!
Considering the engineering put into these speakers, that is a screaming good deal. The old Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers measured incredibly well considering their prices, and these promise to be even better. The shame of it all is that there are speakers of much lesser performance that get a lot more attention, but Harman's miserable marketing of these and their abandonment of this audio sector just killed them. Samsung's acquisition might very well be the death of Harman's 50+ years of being one of the leaders of high-fidelity home audio.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Considering the engineering put into these speakers, that is a screaming good deal. The old Infinity Primus bookshelf speakers measured incredibly well considering their prices, and these promise to be even better. The shame of it all is that there are speakers of much lesser performance that get a lot more attention, but Harman's miserable marketing of these and their abandonment of this audio sector just killed them. Samsung's acquisition might very well be the death of Harman's 50+ years of being one of the leaders of high-fidelity home audio.
True that, but I'm excited to see these speakers are still in circulation! If Samsung/Infinity continues to offer them for $200/pr. every-so-often it gives a lot of people the opportunity to get really great sound on the cheap!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The Reference line seems to have lacked strong marketing in the USA -- they seem to put them on sale around 6 times a year -- however, most people who buy them seem to really like them
Just a general FYI, I suspect this is still the case. It was just dumb luck that I happened to stumble across this!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well, back to original pricing - the party is over...until next time.
The R162 is listed as in stock and ready to ship (at $450/pr), so it does not seem to be a clearance sale.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Well, back to original pricing - the party is over...until next time.
The R162 is listed as in stock and ready to ship (at $450/pr), so it does not seem to be a clearance sale.
They built some more

G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Anyone have any experience with these Infinity's yet? Just curious to how they stack up with the new Jamo S803, KEF Q150, or even the Elac UB5. There are some serious good sales out there right now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone have any experience with these Infinity's yet? Just curious to how they stack up with the new Jamo S803, KEF Q150, or even the Elac UB5. There are some serious good sales out there right now.
Of those, I have heard the Infinity R162 and the UB5. The Infinity impressed me as being a very good deal at full MSRP! YMMV, but I was not at all impressed by the UB5 it sounded a bit dull.
I say at these prices, just get the Infinity! I have yet to find anywhere near as good of a speaker as the R162 for the discounted price of $180/pr. It is a very good $449/pr speaker, but at $180, if you are looking for speakers, just get them. I have to believe the other discounted models are equal values. Harman/Infinity has too much good science/experience/engineering to do something dumb and screw up one of the other variants of their Infinity Reference line (if they did, they would catch it in the prototype phase)!

Last edited:
G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
Of those, I have heard the Infinity R162 and the UB5. The Infinity impressed me as being a very good deal at full MSRP! YMMV, but I was not at all impressed by the UB5 it sounded a bit dull.
I say at these prices, just get the Infinity! I have yet to find anywhere near as good of a speaker as the R162 for the discounted price of $180/pr. It is a very good $449/pr speaker, but at $180, if you are looking for speakers, just get them. I have to believe the other discounted models are equal values. Harman/Infinity has too much good science/experience/engineering to do something dumb and screw up one of the other variants of their Infinity Reference line (if they did, they would catch it in the prototype phase)!
Thanks for your advice Kew. Those Elac's weren't really on my list to begin with, but I have been hearing so many good things about them on Reddit(because of the sale price) I thought I would throw those up there with the other ones.
I've also been looking at the Klipsch RP-160M's, JBL Studio 230's, and Monitor Audio Bronze 2's, but I haven't seen any decent sales for those yet except an okay sale for the JBL's. Do you have any experience with those.

By the way, this is for desktop use at the moment and I'm coming from Polk S15's.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I've also been looking at the Klipsch RP-160M's, JBL Studio 230's, and Monitor Audio Bronze 2's, but I haven't seen any decent sales for those yet except an okay sale for the JBL's. Do you have any experience with those.
I have compared the Infinity R162 directly with the Klipsch RP-160m (which I think is a pretty nice speaker for the $350 - you can buy it on ebay from companies like Sound Distributors as "open box" - they are actually new (most often, but no guarantee),they just say they are open box to abide by Klipsch's price controls.
In any case, I found the R162 to be very competitive with an overall slight edge over the RP-160m - this was highlighted when listening to Fairfield Four (well recorded vocal quartet) and the midrange of the R162 sounded a bit more natural and fuller.
I have never heard the JBL Studio 230, but I do have the Studio 580's. I would put the R162 in very much the same class as the Studio 500 series. If we can assume that the 500 series is better than the less expensive 200 series, that would give the Infinity the nod over the 230.
HTH!

The only real competition I can think of for the R162 on sale would be the new version of the Philharmonic AA's. I have not heard them yet, but I know that Dennis would not have adopted a tweeter that would increase the price by ~$90 unless it was a significant improvement. The old tweeter was good, but it was the weakest link in the AA's. The AA's have deeper bass (which is significant if you plan a 2.0 system). Even so, you are talking $180 vs $300 and the tweeter of the R162 is probably not going to be bested by a significant measure. I suspect the biggest difference between these two is the Infinity has a wave guide and the AA does not. Which you might prefer is largely a matter of your room and personal preference.
IME, any wave guide alters the sound for most acoustic instruments (such as piano, strings, woodwinds - including sax, etc) slightly. (although for directional instruments such as a trumpet where the wave guide better mimics the trumpets directional character)!
Unless you really like a "warm, laid-back" speaker, you can't lose with the Infinity at $180. I would consider the R162 slightly on the forward side of neutral! I would avoid the R263 center and the 12" subwoofer as they are barely discounted, but I assume you recognized that.
Good luck.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I would consider the R162 slightly on the forward side of neutral! I would avoid the R263 center and the 12" subwoofer as they are barely discounted, but I assume you recognized that.
Good luck.
The R263 center is on sale for $179
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/cyber-monday-sale/REFERENCE+RC263.html?cgid=cyber-monday-sale&dwvar_REFERENCE RC263_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

The R12 sub is on back-order, but the R10 sub is on sale for $149
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/cyber-monday-sale/REFERENCE+SUB+R10.html?cgid=cyber-monday-sale&dwvar_REFERENCE SUB R10_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cool!
I had not refreshed the page this morning. I guess they decided to add those for Cyber Monday! They were not on sale earlier!
The R12 is a back-order item, but with expected availability of 12/1/18 and $180 (as opposed to $150 for the R10), I'd still go with the 12!

Last edited:
G

geniusmusicman

Junior Audioholic
I have compared the Infinity R162 directly with the Klipsch RP-160m (which I think is a pretty nice speaker for the $350 - you can buy it on ebay from companies like Sound Distributors as "open box" - they are actually new (most often, but no guarantee),they just say they are open box to abide by Klipsch's price controls.
In any case, I found the R162 to be very competitive with an overall slight edge over the RP-160m - this was highlighted when listening to Fairfield Four (well recorded vocal quartet) and the midrange of the R162 sounded a bit more natural and fuller.
I have never heard the JBL Studio 230, but I do have the Studio 580's. I would put the R162 in very much the same class as the Studio 500 series. If we can assume that the 500 series is better than the less expensive 200 series, that would give the Infinity the nod over the 230.
HTH!

The only real competition I can think of for the R162 on sale would be the new version of the Philharmonic AA's. I have not heard them yet, but I know that Dennis would not have adopted a tweeter that would increase the price by ~$90 unless it was a significant improvement. The old tweeter was good, but it was the weakest link in the AA's. The AA's have deeper bass (which is significant if you plan a 2.0 system). Even so, you are talking $180 vs $300 and the tweeter of the R162 is probably not going to be bested by a significant measure. I suspect the biggest difference between these two is the Infinity has a wave guide and the AA does not. Which you might prefer is largely a matter of your room and personal preference.
IME, any wave guide alters the sound for most acoustic instruments (such as piano, strings, woodwinds - including sax, etc) slightly. (although for directional instruments such as a trumpet where the wave guide better mimics the trumpets directional character)!
Unless you really like a "warm, laid-back" speaker, you can't lose with the Infinity at $180. I would consider the R162 slightly on the forward side of neutral! I would avoid the R263 center and the 12" subwoofer as they are barely discounted, but I assume you recognized that.
Good luck.

Kew(or Kurt), thank you so much for your detailed response! This helps a lot. Now I know where these place a little better. Am I right to assume the R152 will sound just as good, but with less bass due to the low end of the frequency response being a little higher then the R162?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kew(or Kurt),thank you so much for your detailed response! This helps a lot. Now I know where these place a little better. Am I right to assume the R152 will sound just as good, but with less bass due to the low end of the frequency response being a little higher then the R162?
Generally, I would consider that a very good assumption.
There is actually some reason to believe the R152 may sound slightly better!
The reason for this is if you have a 1" tweeter crossing to a 5.25" woofer, the 5.25" woofer is going to do a better job of playing at the higher frequencies in the crossover region than the 6.5" woofer of the R162, resulting in a more seamless crossover. However, it may well be the case that the 6.5" driver is not being stressed at all.
One way to check (again no guarantees) is to see if the designer crossed the 5.25" higher than the 6.5", This would indicate that they felt the need to make the 1" driver play into lower frequencies rather than make the woofer play into a region where it might be subject to beaming or other issues. I looked at the specification sheets to see, but they do not specify the crossover frequency.
That is a theoretical argument for the benefit of a smaller woofer. Whether it is relevant to this specific speaker is a different issue (I would feel pretty confident if we were talking a 5" vs a 8" woofer)! The argument for the larger woofer is lower frequency response, greater efficiency (87dB for the 152 vs 88dB for the 162) and (typically) a higher max SPL. Since you are planning to use this as a desktop system, I don't see efficiency or max SPL being a concern!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis