Infinity Primus P363 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
Where did you buy them?

50% off is a good deal!!

I've read the Scott 390R can handle 4 ohms. I'm not really sure how true that is. You're probably gonna be ok.
Oh whoops. Amazon has them at 47% off (I rounded up) per speaker.

I believe the Scott does handle the 4ohm load. Its been a while since I've taken a look at the back-side. If I retain my old speakers into the B and C channels until I can sell them, I'll have to keep it at 8. I usually get confused about the load switch when it comes to 'mismatching' the setup. Stepping down to 4 on an 8 ohm speaker isn't deadly IIRC.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Oh whoops. Amazon has them at 47% off (I rounded up) per speaker.

I believe the Scott does handle the 4ohm load. Its been a while since I've taken a look at the back-side. If I retain my old speakers into the B and C channels until I can sell them, I'll have to keep it at 8. I usually get confused about the load switch when it comes to 'mismatching' the setup. Stepping down to 4 on an 8 ohm speaker isn't deadly IIRC.
Always leave the load switch to 8ohm! :D

http://www.audioholics.com/education/frequently-asked-questions/connecting-4-ohm-speakers-to-an-8-ohm-receiver-or-amplifier

http://www.audioholics.com/education/amplifier-technology/impedance-selector-switch-1

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm jumping into this conversation a bit late but...
I just ordered a pair of Infinity Primus 363s a few days ago...The only ones I've really ever owned were good for loud volumes and that is about it.
If, by this you mean you want speakers you can listen to at lower levels, the P363 are probably one of the better candidates. The little extra bass they have will sound rich and full whereas a totally flat speakers will sound anemic in the bass department at low volume.
As you can see in the chart below, at lower levels, the bass really needs to be much louder for us to perceive it as being the same volume:

Now the thing that concerns me is that they are advertised as an 8 ohm speaker but this review clearly concluded it as a 4 ohm speaker. I have a Scott 390R receiver that will be powering these speakers. Anyone think this would be a good match or did I mess up?
I don't know that particular receiver, but I do know the Scott gear from the late 60's and early 70's was very nice. Late 70's may have been very good as well, but I know by the late 80's the brand was producing crap and milking the good name for all they could get out of it!
However, you are talking about 35-40 year old gear, so unless you have replaced the capacitors, it may not be well suited any more.

Moreover, about this statement you made:
If I retain my old speakers into the B and C channels
That is pretty unique to have provisions to connect three pairs of speakers to a receiver! Unless you have details on the rigor of the amp section, I would discourage you running 2 pairs of speakers at once. If you do this, you are cutting the impedance in half, so that place where the P363 drop to 4 ohms, the receiver may see as low as 2-3 ohms!

I love the look of the old gear. Wish we could get new gear in silver in the States!

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
Those pictures of the Scott are really nice. Here's mine. Tomorrow my 363s come in. I've got everything setup and ready for me to just set them down, hook up the cables and let er rip.

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
Speakers just got here. Just hooked them up and they're singing. I'd take time to post a more useful review but you'll have to excuse me for now as I need to go change my pants.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's pretty cool how the P363 wins against Martin Logan, Klipsch, Polk in the light weight division.....but let's see a REAL heavy weight match between the Revel Studio2 vs B&W 802D2. :D

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
Well this is long overdue. Sorry for the poor cable management but here are the new speakers! I absolutely love them.

M

monotonous15

Audiophyte
Not bad. What turntable and cart are you running?
I've got a Technics SL-1900 with a Shure M44-7 cart. I bought this cart. 6 or so years ago for its low-end response to be perfectly honest. I've have since grown out of my need for this type of cart and am looking to find a lower-output/warm cart. to put on here. Its served me very well though and I've no complaints.

Actually if anyone wants to weigh in, my TT is in dire need of being serviced in the rising/lowering platform for the arm. I think it uses some sort of viscous fluid to apply friction to this motion and I need to replace it but I'm not sure how. If anyone has any tips it would be highly appreciated.

For those who are interested, this is an older video (with the old speakers) of my equipment. And I don't want to hear about the TT placement because it was temporary for the video :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6YvgzBUhXs

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a Technics SL-1900 with a Shure M44-7 cart. I bought this cart. 6 or so years ago for its low-end response to be perfectly honest. I've have since grown out of my need for this type of cart and am looking to find a lower-output/warm cart. to put on here. Its served me very well though and I've no complaints.

Actually if anyone wants to weigh in, my TT is in dire need of being serviced in the rising/lowering platform for the arm. I think it uses some sort of viscous fluid to apply friction to this motion and I need to replace it but I'm not sure how. If anyone has any tips it would be highly appreciated.

For those who are interested, this is an older video (with the old speakers) of my equipment. And I don't want to hear about the TT placement because it was temporary for the video :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6YvgzBUhXs
You should PM TLSguy about the TT. He can almost certainly point you in the right direction.

I thought it looked like a Technics, but smaller. I run the SL-1210 with Shure M97xE

A

audio0412

Audiophyte
hi

i read the review and from what i read, i had a pair of these for about a year..the weak link for this system is the tweeter. Though very efficient at high frequency it could use some upgrade down the road with a better unit. Any recommendations are appreciated!!!

-

O

ooobbbccc

Audiophyte
Are you serious these caps are glued on? Because I have similar caps at the back of my Denon 2312 and I was able to pull them off using my thumbnail.

D

Dapitas

Audiophyte
Being I have a the Primus line home theater speaker setup and the 363's were on your agenda, I had to read. I agree with a lot of what was written. I took your recommendations for better insulation for the speakers. I used the mountain Mist Poly, wow I can honestly say this was the best tweek I have made to the 363's, repacked the plastic chamber for the mid-range speaker as well. The vocals and the high end cleaned up surprisingly well. Changed out the originals screws with brass ones, using 10 gauge speaker wire as per Audioholics advise, treated my room with acoustic panels (Home-made) and I am very Pleased with the results. I also did this tweek with the rest of my speakers and found that all were lacking a good packing, o_O. Using Denon 3310ci for receiver and using it in 7.1. The sub is the 312 12", with it I also found a lack of stuffing. The back wall of the sub was bare. Packed it and it has helped tighten it up. This will hold me over until I can step up to the next level, Thanks for the article and advise.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks good review and I pretty much agree having owned these since 2013 and am happy with them. Thanks again for the informative review and sorry about posting to an old thread.
Dave

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis