Infinity Primus P363 Floorstanding Loudspeaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Nice review Gene, how do these compare with the Fluance XL7F that you just reviewed? Are they pretty similar or is one sonically better than the other?
I didn't do controlled listening tests between the Fluance and Infinity's as I was packing them up at the time but I did give a brief listen for what it's worth. The Infinity's are about 3 dB more efficient than the Fluance. So they will play louder with the same wattage applied to either speaker. The Fluance have nicer aesthetics and have MUCH better connectors too :) Also the Fluance are bi-ampable meaning you can even use the bottom woofers as a poor mans subwoofer if you have external amplification.

Tonally, the Fluance are very different than the Infinity's from my experience. The Fluance are way more laid back and have a lot more bass. The Infinity's however, seem more tonally balanced but at times can be a bit bright. It really depends on your room acoustics and musical listening preferences.

• Team Fluance If your taste favors more bass and more laid back sound and better aesthetics.
  • Team Infinity if you want a forward and detailed upper mid/treble sound.

Either speaker is a heck of a bargain at $400-500/pr and it just goes to show you how competitive things have become online in the last few years.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I have been driving some p362s with an Onkyo TX-SR707, which isn't recommended to use with 4 ohm speakers, and so far I have not had any problems. I haven't heard of p360/2/3 speakers causing any problems thus far, so I wouldn't worry too much about their impedance dips. Of course, any extra heat isn't good for the electronics long-term, but the way technology is moving in receivers these days, that wouldn't seem to be a big problem.
The 707 is rated for 4ohms.

From Onkyo:
Certified 4ohms performance ...................

Onkyo TX-SR707 - THX

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Either speaker is a heck of a bargain at $400-500/pr and it just goes to show you how competitive things have become online in the last few years.
I do recollect this paragraph from 3 years ago by Tom:
I wasn’t concerned about the RBH TK-5CT's bass response compared to the tSc’s since both have nice deep bass. In fact, I didn't have to worry about much unless you count the number of times I had to run back and forth switching cables and level match. If the eD comparison was unusually quick, the TK-5CT comparison was proportionally long. I switched back and forth over and over trying to discover the subtle differences between the two. Yes, I said subtle. Where I expected to find a few glaring differences, I found two speakers that sounded remarkably similar.
Not bad for $449/pr (msrp) - Too Bad 2008 happened and tSt didn't survive :(

But - yeah - Internet allowed creating products with very small margins or cheaper products, but still to have good profits :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like the P363 will be back on sale in some Fry's stores again this weekend this time for $199/pr.

Edit: I put a link in the deals area.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The 707 is rated for 4ohms.

From Onkyo:
Certified 4ohms performance ...................

Onkyo TX-SR707 - THX
Huh, I could have sworn I read that the receiver was not recommended for 4 ohm speakers in the manual, thanks for the heads up. I rechecked the manual after your post and it confirms it is rated for 4 ohms. It says there is a setting for 4 to 6 ohm speakers and 6 ohm and above, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that using 4 ohm settings in such receivers can cause more problems then they solve. Can anyone tell me why this might be?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Receivers that have impedance selector switches such as 6 or 4 ohm, what happens when you engage them is it typically current limits the maximum draw from the power supply. It decreases headroom and max power output.

From looking at the impedance graph, the impedance dips below 4 ohms between 100hz-200hz is where a lot of musical and movie content will be and it can't be avoided through bass management. I don't think the dips above 10kHz would pose too much of a problem on an amp though.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Receivers that have impedance selector switches such as 6 or 4 ohm, what happens when you engage them is it typically current limits the maximum draw from the power supply. It decreases headroom and max power output.

From looking at the impedance graph, the impedance dips below 4 ohms between 100hz-200hz is where a lot of musical and movie content will be and it can't be avoided through bass management. I don't think the dips above 10kHz would pose too much of a problem on an amp though.
Great post and couldn't have said it better myself.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I doubt they would implement a current limit scheme in such entry/mid level model. I think with 4ohm selector engaged it just drops the rail voltage. For example, if you half the maximum voltage, it would deliver the same current to a 4ohm resistor as it would at the normal voltage to an 8ohm resistor. You may say in efffect it limits the current but current limiting typically means it limits the current to a preset maximum value regardless of the impedance, including a short circuit, i.e. 0ohm. Current limiting can also get complicated if you have to allow for high short duration peaks. For an AVR, IMO it is actually better to lower the maximum voltage so if you have 4 ohm speaker you simply have the same or slighly less power and accept a 3dB drop in SPL (compared to 8ohm with the same sensitivity) but you don't have to worry about any current limits imposed by potentially not well designed current limiting scheme. Now I am only talking in terms of theory and guessing the scenario, I do not know exactly what Onkyo's 4/6 ohm selector does.

Moutee

Moutee

Junior Audioholic
I have a pair of Primus P360s driven by an Onkyo SR805. On the receiver, I have the option of choosing "4 ohm speaker or 6 ohm speaker." Which setting is most appropriate for these towers and why?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have a pair of Primus P360s driven by an Onkyo SR805. On the receiver, I have the option of choosing "4 ohm speaker or 6 ohm speaker." Which setting is most appropriate for these towers and why?
This question is basically answered in the above posts. Setting it to 4 ohm will reduce output headroom but ensure your speakers do not tax your amplifier as hard. 6 Ohm will be harder on the amp but will let your speakers play louder. If you set your receiver to 6 ohm and let your speakers blaze it can cause thermal issues- your receiver may shut down if it gets too hot, and also heat can reduce the receiver's lifespan and reliability. I suppose the answer depends on how loud you like it, and how much you care about possible heat-related issues.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for the great review on these much discussed speakers!

For the benefit of those on a tight budget, would it be feasible to employ a good value budget receiver in low-cost speaker evaluation? The Infinities are a great deal at $400 or less, but the bargain quickly disappears if external amplification is required!

One of the things that elevates Audioholics reviews from the crowd, IMHO, is honestly reviewing budget items. Many reviewers for other magazines get overly snide in the context of the reference gear they have exposure to; as if the low cost item exuded a bad odor the whole time it was in their room.

Thanks for providing factual, impartial reviews!!!

picture_shooter

picture_shooter

Full Audioholic
I was pretty excited to see / listen to these on sale for $199 @ my local Frys.

Once I finally got to demo them, they reminded me a lot of the sound quality of the Polk Monitor 50's.

Very nice for $200 a pair, but never for $500 or even close to $800 :rolleyes:

Matt34

Matt34

Once I finally got to demo them, they reminded me a lot of the sound quality of the Polk Monitor 50's.

Really?

I compared them to Monitor 70's in my room and didn't think they were even close. In fact I had them and the AV123 X-sls way ahead of the M70's and Bic Acoustechs in side by side comparisons.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
For the benefit of those on a tight budget, would it be feasible to employ a good value budget receiver in low-cost speaker evaluation? The Infinities are a great deal at $400 or less, but the bargain quickly disappears if external amplification is required!
As it was mentioned above - Onkyo 707 successfully used to power 363's
ac4l have Onkyo HT-RC370 which is essentially same AVR minus 10wpc and some CI features

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
While Infinity would not be my first choice in budget towers.
I still consider them a step above Polk Monitor, entry level
Klipsch, and Bic speakers.:)

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

The P362 sounds a lot better than any Polk tower I've ever listened to.

My brother bought some Polk M70 on sale from Amazon. No matter what he did, the M70 just sounded a little muddy. When he came over my house, he said the P362 sounded so "clear and realistic, with pretty good bass without a subwoofer".

And this was AFTER he listened to the Salon2, KEF 201/2, & Orion!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Sometimes the Primus speakers get knocked on for not having the sturdiest and most heavily braced cabinet. I suppose the consequence of this is having resonant cabinet panels. What does that sound like, and how does it mess up the intended sound? Is it something that is easily audible if one did A/B comparing of the Primus speakers to say, something that is heavily damped like some of the much higher end speakers?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Sometimes the Primus speakers get knocked on for not having the sturdiest and most heavily braced cabinet. I suppose the consequence of this is having resonant cabinet panels. What does that sound like, and how does it mess up the intended sound? Is it something that is easily audible if one did A/B comparing of the Primus speakers to say, something that is heavily damped like some of the much higher end speakers?
It definitly is in my opinion. Of course, it depends on how loud you listen.
I believe this is what Gene mentioned as bass bloom.
Performing the mods Alex linked would be an economical solution to having an amazing pair of speakers with little investment.
If you are very concerned with cabinet resonance, I think the best remedy is bookshelves (aside from the mods) if you need to stay around this pricepoint. I'd suggest the Beringer B2031p, which is a larger, but solidly made bookshelf speaker. If you plan to mate with a sub, get the 2030p, which has a smaller woofer. Not many other options in the ~$300 range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis