Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be good with 1080p....and am, altho I do have a bluray player capable of 4k....but streaming 4k not possible with my internet service and the blurays I rent from Netflix aren't 4k either. So I don't think I'm going to worry about it :) Especially if you sit at a long distance from the screen....
Well, I meant to say all the new tvs out now are all 4k. It'd be nice if would make "budget" versions up to 1080p and skip the 4k to keep costs down.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
There's a place locally called "Best Deals In Town" with a few 75" HDR TVs in that $800 range.

CLICKY

Anything there look like a good deal? Scroll down for the larger sizes.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I meant to say all the new tvs out now are all 4k. It'd be nice if would make "budget" versions up to 1080p and skip the 4k to keep costs down.
Meant more about the used market choices. What, you want only a 5.1 avr, too? :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
[QUOTE="lovinthehd, post: 1342453, member: 61636"What, you want only a 5.1 avr, too? :)[/QUOTE]
Exactly, lol.

Used market for TVs that large is pretty lean. Nothing I've found locally under 7-800 bucks. Not sure what the deal is with the place I just linked above, but everything has at least a 90 day warranty. I'm assuming new.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There's a place locally called "Best Deals In Town" with a few 75" HDR TVs in that $800 range.

CLICKY

Anything there look like a good deal? Scroll down for the larger sizes.
I didn't do a lot of research for new when I got the used but seems TCL and Vizio offer a lot of value for the $. I wasn't looking for anything that large either but yeah everything was 4k and some sort of hdr. Are they refurbs at this place?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn't do a lot of research for new when I got the used but seems TCL and Vizio offer a lot of value for the $. I wasn't looking for anything that large either but yeah everything was 4k and some sort of hdr. Are they refurbs at this place?
Okay, yeah. I've been seeing TCL pop up and I do know about Vizio being a good brand too. I'll keep digging. I have time, not in a huge hurry.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Found a LG for $899 at Walmart on clearance. I'm ready to get a new tv. I wanna make sure I get something I plan to keep for a good long time. Don't need a smart tv either. Just a straight up monitor. Would really like to get one with HDR, tho I don't know much about it...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, this Samsung NU6900 has my attention right now.
They also have a LG UK6190 that looks pretty good.
There's this TCL 4 Series
Then for a little bit more, this LG UM6970PUB
Pretty much what I look for is size, if it has HDR and at least 120 hz refresh rate. After that the rest of the specs don't mean much to me. This range seems to be the sweet spot for what I'm looking for.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think the RCAs are HDR. I don't see it listed anyway. Same with the TCL.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't really follow TV's too closely, but can offer some thoughts:
1) Only two months until Black Friday sales! Develop a sense of what models and features interest you and be ready to buy on BF if you can wait.
2) Good luck finding a TV without "Smart" for less! I don't think they make them, and if they do, I expect they would cost more just like a integrated amp costs more than an equivalent AVR. One advantage of TCL is they use ROKU for their streaming interface making it the rare TV that is as easy to use as a fire stick or Roku! But I would still plan to buy a Roku or firestick in about 3 years after the built-in system started to get old. Anything else (like my Vizio) just "say no" to the built-in streaming service and buy a Roku (or Amazon Fire).
3) Check Dealnews.com for deals on TV's. Here is a link. Note that I included expired deals (so you can get a sense of what types of deals you can expect) and specified "70 inches or over" and sorted from low to high price.
https://www.dealnews.com/c159/Electronics/TVs/?e=1&r=122&search=tv&sort=price
4) CostCo, Sam's Club, and BJ's Wholesale club consistently have some of the best deals available!
5) Walmart.com also has some great deals, but note that their best deals tend not to be available if you go to the store. Order online for delivery to your local store, this way you avoid shipping costs and, more importantly, you can inspect for shipping damage at the store - these are large and thin, making them inherently fragile!
6) Dell has some great deals (I assume you saw that I got a 70" Vizio with a $250 Dell GC for $850) as long as you can take advantage of the Dell GC. Seems like the GC involved some "gamification" (attempt to have it not be used) along the lines of it did not become active until a week after you get the TV then it expires 4 weeks later. Nothing really "wrong", but it is not like you have 6 months to use it. But if you have use for the Dell GC and are good about following through with stuff like this, my deal was hard to beat.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
None of the TCLs I'm running across seem to have HDR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
None of the TCLs I'm running across seem to have HDR.
I take that back. This one has HDR and is "like new". The name of the seller is "Mancave Entertainment". Looks like an electronics place. I'll bet it's a return or open box. They have 4 of them for $700/ea. That's the best price I've found all day on a tv that size, with HDR. I s'pose I could wait til BF, but will I find anything better than that? If I knew a little more about this crap...

Seems like every time I get a new tv I miss something. Last time it was HDR. It would be just the way if I got one with HDR and a week later I'll read a post about how HDR sucks and you need to get HDR Supreme V2.3 or some shitt because they had to fix crappy regular old HDR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So a bigger tv might mean that my bookshelf center might not fit anymore. I talked to SVS and they said they'd honor the 1 year trade up even tho its been over 2 1/2 years (I can't believe it was that long ago!) for a dedicated center. That works out to about a $200 credit. Actually $300 credit, but I pay shipping for both.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So a bigger tv might mean that my bookshelf center might not fit anymore. I talked to SVS and they said they'd honor the 1 year trade up even tho its been over 2 1/2 years (I can't believe it was that long ago!) for a dedicated center. That works out to about a $200 credit. Actually $300 credit, but I pay shipping for both.
So are you looking at the Ultra Center?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So are you looking at the Ultra Center?
I am. Only if needed. I've determined I'm getting a bigger tv one way or the other. If I can make it work with my current bookshelf I will. Just checking my options.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I take that back. This one has HDR and is "like new". The name of the seller is "Mancave Entertainment". Looks like an electronics place. I'll bet it's a return or open box. They have 4 of them for $700/ea. That's the best price I've found all day on a tv that size, with HDR. I s'pose I could wait til BF, but will I find anything better than that? If I knew a little more about this crap...

Seems like every time I get a new tv I miss something. Last time it was HDR. It would be just the way if I got one with HDR and a week later I'll read a post about how HDR sucks and you need to get HDR Supreme V2.3 or some shitt because they had to fix crappy regular old HDR.
That's because you guys are looking at not only budget brands, but their low end models :)

For TCL, you really need to stay with the 5 series at minimum for passable picture, preferably the 6 series if you're more serious.

For Vizio, look at M series (non quantum dot is 2018) since P appears more than what you want.

For better build quality, polish, reliability, QC etc. Sony would be the best followed by Samsung but the price reflects it. LG is only good with OLED so they'll be out of your price.

The same reason it's hard for you to recommend HTIB or crappy sound bar even for people that say they don't care about audio :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's because you guys are looking at not only budget brands, but their low end models :)

For TCL, you really need to stay with the 5 series at minimum for passable picture, preferably the 6 series if you're more serious.

For Vizio, look at M series (non quantum dot is 2018) since P appears more than what you want.

For better build quality, polish, reliability, QC etc. Sony would be the best followed by Samsung but the price reflects it. LG is only good with OLED so they'll be out of your price.

The same reason it's hard for you to recommend HTIB or crappy sound bar even for people that say they don't care about audio :)
Great. Got any helpful suggestions for anything 75" or bigger in the $7-900 range? When I recommend not going with sound bars I usually offer similarly priced alternatives along with my lecture...

*Edit: What about the one linked for $700??

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This Vizio D58u-D3 58" is what I have currently. I've always been music first so a tv is where I tend to sacrifice for better sound. My problem is that I sit over 14' from the screen and I have trouble seeing smaller details, especially for gaming. Stuff is just too small at my distance. Now based on what I have right now I think everything I've looked at so far would be a step up in PQ and definitely screen size. Budget is a factor. Period. I wish it wasn't but it is. I'm pretty firm on a minimum of 75" screen too so...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis