In-wall rear surround recommendations

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, minidsp is the best option. Although @ryanosaur posted a new one from parts express that looks cool. The audyssey app MIGHT be able to help but @Pogre I think is the only one who tried to very what he did with the curve editor.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Yeah, minidsp is the best option. Although @ryanosaur posted a new one from parts express that looks cool. The audyssey app MIGHT be able to help but @Pogre I think is the only one who tried to very what he did with the curve editor.
Oh, I didn't realize Audyssey actually did anything to the sub other than adjust the level and delay.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, I didn't realize Audyssey actually did anything to the sub other than adjust the level and delay.
Yep. Which Marantz do you have again? Xt32 with subeqHT is pretty effective. Haven’t you run it?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You need Audyssey XT32 and the Audyssey App.
Best responses seem to come from learning REW, and using it in conjunction with Audyssey and a MiniDSP 2x4HD.
If you were truly never to expand beyond 1 sub, then the one from PE might be a worthwhile investment. (I am skeptical though due to its reliance on the iPhone Microphone to take measurements. Never a good thing.)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You need Audyssey XT32 and the Audyssey App.
Best responses seem to come from learning REW, and using it in conjunction with Audyssey and a MiniDSP 2x4HD.
If you were truly never to expand beyond 1 sub, then the one from PE might be a worthwhile investment. (I am skeptical though due to its reliance on the iPhone Microphone to take measurements. Never a good thing.)
Yes. Good point. It’s a big reason I don’t like the Elac subs. In my dream world, PE addresses this and took the phone mics response profile into account.

Not which ones these are but it’s plain to see some of the issues. Another reason I dislike phase spl apps. They could be calibrated for individual mic capabilities but....I doubt it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
SR5012. Don't see any advanced sub settings at all. Just level, distance, and LFE crossover.
Right. Sorry I didn’t clarify. Audyssey xt32 does a good job on its own. But as pointed out, you’d need the audyssey app to manipulate the curve editor. It’s usefulness isn’t well documented while the minidsp has miles of ink dedicated to it.

If your serious about the minidsp and rew and. Mic, I applaud you. It’s eye opening! And powerful.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Right. Sorry I didn’t clarify. Audyssey xt32 does a good job on its own. But as pointed out, you’d need the audyssey app to manipulate the curve editor. It’s usefulness isn’t well documented while the minidsp has miles of ink dedicated to it.

If your serious about the minidsp and rew and. Mic, I applaud you. It’s eye opening! And powerful.
For sure.

Can the SR5012 Audyssey software be updated to xt32?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Cool. I'll pick one up. Once I have a plot of the room, how do I attenuate peaks in the response if the sub doesn't have an adjustable parametric equalizer? Do they make external ones that can be connected in line with the receiver/sub?
Yeeee-haw! You're about to stumble down the rabbit hole with the rest of us!
tenor (6).gif

I think once you do some measuring and see few graphs you'll understand so much better what we talk about with the peaks and nulls, how much of a difference some of the little things can make, etc. It was an eye opener for me and really helped me dial my bass in. These are examples of my before and after. The "before" is with no Audyssey, no eq or anything and the after is when I was done tweaking what Audyssey did with my Mini.
10-07 no dsp.jpg
10-06 SPL.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeeee-haw! You're about to stumble down the rabbit hole with the rest of us!
View attachment 34644

I think once you do some measuring and see few graphs you'll understand so much better what we talk about with the peaks and nulls, how much of a difference some of the little things can make, etc. It was an eye opener for me and really helped me dial my bass in. These are examples of my before and after. The "before" is with no Audyssey, no eq or anything and the after is when I was done tweaking what Audyssey did with my Mini.View attachment 34642View attachment 34643
MAN!!! Ya know, every time I see that graph I just twitch! I like the house curve one a little better but damn...

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
So I'd get the Umik mic to measure my room response, then use that information to correct peaks and valleys using a 2x4 DSP connected between my receiver and sub, then run Audyssey? If I use the mini DSP, then I don't need Audyssey xt32?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So I'd get the Umik mic to measure my room response, then use that information to correct peaks and valleys using a 2x4 DSP connected between my receiver and sub, then run Audyssey? If I use the mini DSP, then I don't need Audyssey xt32?
Yes! Almost...

I use both. I let Audyssey work its magic then use the Mini to dial it the rest of the way.

Here's a link to my latest foray into it.

Last edited:
mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
Yes! Almost...

I use both. I let Audyssey work its magic then use the Mini to dial it the rest of the way.

Here's a link to my latest foray into it.

Okay, I'll check it out. So I don't necessarily need xt32?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I say just start out with the mic and download REW. There's a learning curve so do some homework. Then you can see where you're at and make a decision from there. The Audyssey version in your 5012 might be enough for you to tweak the rest of the way there with a Mini.

mossman77

mossman77

Full Audioholic
I say just start out with the mic and download REW. There's a learning curve so do some homework. Then you can see where you're at and make a decision from there. The Audyssey version in your 5012 might be enough for you to tweak the rest of the way there with a Mini.
I thought you adjusted with the mini first then run audyssey.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis