In wall in ceiling speakers

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
But have you ever compared/listened to/measured With vs Without rear foam enclosure?
I Absolutely have Compared and Listened with and without.
A properly Engineered Enclosures works just like any other properly designed Speaker Cabinet.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I Absolutely have Compared and Listened with and without.
A properly Engineered Enclosures works just like any other properly designed Speaker Cabinet.
Oh, you're talking about ACTUAL MDF enclosures, not these $75 FOAM boxes that LOOSELY fit around the speakers.

Yeah, I can see the benefits here. But these actual real MDF enclosures will cost A LOT more than $75.

The OP is talking about $250 in-wall speakers. So I doubt any of them will come with real engineered enclosures.

I was talking about these $75 typical loosely made foam enclosures:

But you are talking this:

This is the RBH SI-831R Reference in-wall used in Gene's new house, which is equivalent to the SV-831/R free standing cabinet of the $45K SVTRS towers that Gene has. Definitely not $250. :D

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That's why I stated $250 doesn't get you "Performance" in In-Ceilings. Ya you can just throw up any speaker with a Name Plate. But will it Sound Good :rolleyes:

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Look at Triad. They Engineer their In-ceiling/In-Walls with Enclosures. They are not just open Drivers installed into Ceiling or Wall cavities

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, you're talking about ACTUAL MDF enclosures, not these $75 FOAM boxes that LOOSELY fit around the speakers.

Yeah, I can see the benefits here. But these actual real MDF enclosures will cost A LOT more than $75.

The OP is talking about $250 in-wall speakers. So I doubt any of them will come with real engineered enclosures.

I was talking about these $75 typical loosely made foam enclosures:

But you are talking this:

This is the RBH SI-831R Reference in-wall used in Gene's new house, which is equivalent to the SV-831/R free standing cabinet of the $45K SVTRS towers that Gene has. Definitely not $250. :D
Where can you get those foam enclosures? I at least need to get something behind my mains in the theater. Losing a lot of bass.

Not trying to derail.

I do have an all in-ceiling/in-wall Speakercraft setup and love it. I would go cabinet speakers if I could, but I can't in my room. It sounds much better than I thought it could.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where can you get those foam enclosures? I at least need to get something behind my mains in the theater. Losing a lot of bass.

Not trying to derail.

I do have an all in-ceiling/in-wall Speakercraft setup and love it. I would go cabinet speakers if I could, but I can't in my room. It sounds much better than I thought it could.
I know RBH sells them.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I know RBH sells them.
I saw that on their site. They're specific to their speakers so I'm not sure if they'd work for me. I may just get a big roll of acoustic foam and make them myself. If not, I'll PM you and see if we can find some that might fit.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I saw that on their site. They're specific to their speakers so I'm not sure if they'd work for me. I may just get a big roll of acoustic foam and make them myself. If not, I'll PM you and see if we can find some that might fit.
Yeah, these foams are pretty basic. The in-ceiling sizes are more standard since they are all round shaped. And you can use the 8" or 6.5" foams to fit all the sizes that even smaller.

The RBH FB-W (in-wall) enclosures are 31" H x 14" W x 3.5" D. So as long as your in-wall speakers are no bigger than that, it should work.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Speakercraft made their own Enclosures. Not sure if they still do.
SpeakerCraft_ASM90901_8_Ceiling_Speaker_Enclosure_1304341904000_578229.jpg

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Speakercraft made their own Enclosures. Not sure if they still do.
View attachment 38768
Haven't been able to find them for the large in-wall cinema speakers. Going to have to just build something. Don't have much space behind, but the roll up foam should work to at least contain the sound and prevent it from getting to the outside.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Which Speakercrafts in your In-Ceilings?

I have Aim 8 Fives
I have the Aim 5 three series 2 with the line array tweeters for Atmos speakers.

I also have the in wall Aim Cinema Five which are pretty big, but don't have the bass I think they should. Then I have the Aim LCR3 five for surrounds.

I also have a 5.0 setup in my living room with the cheaper 8" aim zero. Those are shockingly good speakers for how cheap they are.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis