In wall in ceiling speakers

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Looking for recommendations for in wall and ceiling speakers. Number one concern is WAF and second is cost but I still want performance. I plan to shop Accessories for Less, Safe and Sound and maybe Ebay if I find a good seller.

My walls aren’t particularly deep so a shallow mount will be necessary but I’m virtually unrestricted on ceiling depth.

On paper I have a few ideas but I’m open.

Martin Logan with folded ribbon tweeter, I would think they could make the soundstage feel bigger.

Focal, there are deals on discontinued Electra dearies with BE tweeters.

KEF, there propriety tweeters sound very good and have great off axis sound, I would think it would blend the surround sound well.

Dynaudio, virtually indestructible woofers and I already enjoy their tweeters.

Anyway I’m open to suggestions but I’m looking for quality and deals where I can find them.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it comes down to what kind of price you can get.

RBH, KEF, Monitor Audio, Revel, Focal, Dynaudio.

I also prefer bigger drivers - like 1" tweeter + 8" woofers for higher dynamics/sensitivity.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Looking for recommendations for in wall and ceiling speakers. Number one concern is WAF and second is cost but I still want performance. I plan to shop Accessories for Less, Safe and Sound and maybe Ebay if I find a good seller.

My walls aren’t particularly deep so a shallow mount will be necessary but I’m virtually unrestricted on ceiling depth.

Martin Logan with folded ribbon tweeter, I would think they could make the soundstage feel bigger.

KEF, there propriety tweeters sound very good and have great off axis sound, I would think it would blend the surround sound well.

Anyway I’m open to suggestions but I’m looking for quality and deals where I can find them.
What is your speaker budget?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Bowers and Wilkins, KEF and RBH have some very nice in-wall speakers.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
What is your speaker budget?
currently zero, I’m in sales! But that changes regularly, I want a good idea of what to look for when personal funds match online sales. That said, probably something along the lines of $250 per speaker, $1,000 for surrounds and $1,000 for height.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
You stated you wanted "performance". $250 a Speaker Does Not get you Performace in a In-Ceiling System.
There are tons of in wall and in ceiling speakers for sale in the price range, maybe a few dollars more. Perhaps not the flagship speaker from the manufacturer but several KEF with uni-Q tweeters and Focal Flax cone speakers to name a few (those are a couple $$$ more but close.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
currently zero, I’m in sales! But that changes regularly, I want a good idea of what to look for when personal funds match online sales. That said, probably something along the lines of $250 per speaker, $1,000 for surrounds and $1,000 for height.
Adjust that with 60% for the LCR. No need to drop equal coin in the effects channels. If back boxes are required, that'll drive the price but also increase performance.

Something like these

Also Dawn has Triad, which make excellent speakers with top notch drivers. She can really point you in the right direction.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Adjust that with 60% for the LCR. No need to drop equal coin in the effects channels. If back boxes are required, that'll drive the price but also increase performance.

Something like these

Also Dawn has Triad, which make excellent speakers with top notch drivers. She can really point you in the right direction.
Currently running Dynaudio Special 40’s in a 2.1 system and I’d really like to find a single Special 40 as a center channel. Probably would have been important information for the performance needed out of the surrounds. I recently tried a Mirage dipole surround and it was a complete fail.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic

Something like these

Thanks Everett.

The only problem is that Triad, even with my discount, is going to be close to double the price of what the OP can afford.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Make sure you purchase Speaker Enclosures
Those rear box enclosures aren't cheap either. I think they retail about $75 each. When people want to spend $150 per speaker, adding another $75 seems a lot to them. So I think a lot of people won't even buy those rear enclosure boxes.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Check out the RBH VM610 In-wall and VM615 In-ceiling.

Also KEF Ci200QL in-wall and Ci200ER in-ceiling.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Those rear box enclosures aren't cheap either. I think they retail about $75 each. When people want to spend $150 per speaker, adding another $75 seems a lot to them. So I think a lot of people won't even buy those rear enclosure boxes.
But they do Work

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But they do Work
You believe these rear enclosure foam boxes improve the sound quality or improve the frequency responses? Or that they provide soundproofing so the sound doesn't leak all over the adjacent room?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You believe these rear enclosure foam boxes improve the sound quality or improve the frequency responses? Or that they provide soundproofing so the sound doesn't leak all over the adjacent room?
My recommendation has Nothing to do with Sound Leaking. But they do provide a level of Sound Proofing.

A proper Enclosure provides better Sound Quality. They also provide a level of Protection for your Speakers.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My recommendation has Nothing to do with Sound Leaking. But they do provide a level of Sound Proofing.

A proper Enclosure provides better Sound Quality. They also provide a level of Protection for your Speakers.
People can see the point for soundproofing and physical protection.

But have you ever compared/listened to/measured With vs Without rear foam enclosure?

I can't hear any differences.

But I do tell my clients that they are "supposed to improve sound quality" - even if some people can't tell the difference, which is the case for many things in life. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis