Improve Your Loudspeakers Sound with this Tweak?

Do IsoAcoustics Isolators Really Work?

• Yes. It's a great tweak and must have despite their cost.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Not sure. Sounds like snake oil to me.

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No. I tried them and heard no difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My main speakers 350 lb. That is before you add the five drivers. So I won' be tempted. The center is fixed to the house studs.

I have to call BS, when it is stated that these dubious devices are directional. It is true that the acceleration forces on speakers chassis a large. With drivers I reckon my speaker weight around 400 lb. The point is that the forces are reversing in every cycle. It is really a vibration, which is hopefully adsorbed in the cabinet. The take home is that the cabinet is much heavier than the speaker cones. So it is certainly possible vibrations could be transmitted to a wooden floor. Any carpet though I would have thought would dampen the vibration except in the lowest frequencies. However I think the pressure changes created by the sound waves in the air, which really get the room vibrating, and your internal organs as well. I would bet air pressure changes are dominant, as they are applied over such a large area.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not Gene… Theo.
It's Gene's post where in the first person he wrote "I never thought that decoupling my loudspeakers from the floor would have such a profound impact on their sound...... I tried the GAIA isolators on both of my reference systems featuring Revel Salon 2s and RBH Sound SVTR speakers. What I heard was nothing short of marvelous" . Since Gene has those speakers....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's Gene's post where in the first person he wrote "I never thought that decoupling my loudspeakers from the floor would have such a profound impact on their sound...... I tried the GAIA isolators on both of my reference systems featuring Revel Salon 2s and RBH Sound SVTR speakers. What I heard was nothing short of marvelous" . Since Gene has those speakers....
Yeah that's what I thought too, but Theo is who authored the article and appears to have the same speakers? He references them in the article. It is a little confusing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah that's what I thought too, but Theo is who authored the article and appears to have the same speakers? He references them in the article. It is a little confusing.
Or he has access to the AH house where they exist? Dunno. Would still prefer some objective analysis, have already seen the marketed approach several times. I don't care much for Norman Varney type stuff :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, but usually that is a quote from the review itself. Besides, Gene doesn't have Salon2s... which are apparently one of Theo's Speakers. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but usually that is a quote from the review itself. Besides, Gene doesn't have Salon2s... which are apparently one of Theo's Speakers. ;)
I thought Gene did have a pair, in his office or something? What speakers am I thinking of if not? Still, the post says it's from Gene, Theo should post under his own name or Gene could use some indication he's quoting someone else?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know I think you're right. Doesn't Gene have the Performa Be's?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'll stick with my Penn Elcom 9106's. They may not have any magical properties but they make for great support and don't break the bank!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Don't know what to say about this one. I've used isolation pads under my subwoofers and speakers before, but that was in a home with hardwood floors house off the ground foot and a half. But they didn't cost 2k! Come on man really.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
I thought Gene did have a pair, in his office or something? What speakers am I thinking of if not? Still, the post says it's from Gene, Theo should post under his own name or Gene could use some indication he's quoting someone else?
He does.
We’ve been discussing this. So I have a piece of software that was designed for researchers to use in capturing something audible and reproducing it in binaural fully calibrated to the individual listener. It has full head tracking and allows you to believably recreate what you would have heard in the room. This module was specially designed to allow A/B comparisons. As you can imagine, actual AB comparisons would be near impossible, so this would be the next best thing.

I would maybe like to head up to Genes and do exactly this. Capture a pair of his speakers in his room with and without these. Then apply the(distortion) of each to tracks for rapid AB comparisons. I think that would be the best and most valid way to objectively test sound quality.

I do have an acoustic accelerometer somewhere around here and numerous very good microphones. We could do a full sweet of measurements. I think the problem however is that these measurements may not tell us much. Let’s say we don’t measure anything. It is completely possible that the benefit these have is related to improvements in transient performance. This may happen in a way that is swamped by reflections in a room. Our brain might tease this out, but the mic wont. This is why we don’t typically measure the transient performance of a speaker in a room. It’s not accurate. The room tends to dominate it.

what if we measure and we get a frequency response difference in the steady state amplitude measurement? Which one is right? The flatter looking one? I wouldn’t trust such a measurement either way. Again,too much room for error. I can’t think of a good reason that a decoupler would change the amplitude response much. I can think of lots of reasons a change in position or height would.

what about vibrations? What if I show less vibrations being transferred to the floor? As they do. Is that good? Here is the thing, the vibrational energy created by the speaker is fixed. Coupling or decoupling doesn’t change that. If we reduce the transfer to the ground, where did it go? If all you do is decouple, then the energy stays in the speaker until it eventually dissipated as heat. Isn’t the floor a far better place for that to happen. Think of the mass of the floor, the energy in the speaker will do very little to it as compared to the cabinet. So if that’s the goal, I question why. If those feet are actually damping the vibrations out by converting them to thermal energy, then I think they are made wrong for that. A series of steel plates and elastomers would make more sense. Someone already made that. No idea if it works or is desirable but it’s a better way to dissipate energy.

even the idea that you don’t want the vibrations to transfer to the floor bugs me. Why not? You know that research has shown that we perceive the bass of headphones as being 10dB less than for speakers with the same response because we can’t feel the pressure. The tactile piece is huge. So why not let it transfer to the floor.

min any case, I feel like this is a tough thing to talk facts about. I don’t think we have much science to explain what is better and why. I am not aware of any great research on this. My hunch is that this is dealing with the .0001% of sound perfection if at all. There are so many bigger fish to fry.

On the other hand. Nothing wrong with a little audio jewelry. I know some folks who have very nice and expensive speakers. They need their speakers to sit higher by a few inches. This is a nice option. I am sure it at least does no harm.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I understand that decoupling the speaker from the floor would result in audible reduction of room rattles such as paintings and pictures hanging on walls. Thats a great thing. However, if one removed the rattles from the walls and floors, would these isolators make a sonic difference in the speaker's presentation? I'm very sceptical that they would make an audible difference. The absence of blind listening test resultss in the article and that the presentation of the graphs are very convaluted and confusing raises my level of skeptism even higher. Sadly, selling the idea that mechanical feedback from speakers can some how add noise to amplifiers is utter BS. They did mention tube amps which I can understand because of the mechanical coupling of tubes to their sockets but the article never went out of its way to exclude solid state amps. Clean this article up with blind controlled listening tests results and some clear description of the graphs and measurements and you may make me a believer. Until then, Im not buying into this snake oil.

Last edited:
flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Somehow I doubt you will hear any kind of vibrational sounds with FOUR SV-1212NR subs playing. :D

Plus that Bohmer Room Correction (same one used for the $90K Legacy Audio flagship towers) will surely iron out any kind of "vibrational" frequency responses. :D

Although you might need these isolation feet for your Denon X8500 so that you can reduce the THD+N from 0.0007% to 0.0006%. :eek: :D

You’re right. That Denon is the weakest link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
There's a reason why most quality speaker manufacturers add things like shelf bracing and thick front baffles. Rather than the cabinet absorbing the energy and vibrating from the speaker drivers the acoustic energy is directed into the air. If you put any cushion under a speaker which in effect makes it less rigid wouldn't that cause distortion?
Speaker manufacturers could supply something equivalent with their speakers if they thought there was this incredible improvement of their products creating more sales. Something like these things could be made by the millions for cheap too. I'd love to see an abx test with these. There's already too much snake oil in the world.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't know what to say about this one. I've used isolation pads under my subwoofers and speakers before, but that was in a home with hardwood floors house off the ground foot and a half. But they didn't cost 2k! Come on man really.
Maybe the only reason to include this article was to create some traffic/interest by causing a feeding frenzy on this snake oil topic. :D

Topic for the next article: darn, my new amp sounds absolutely better than my old amp - it’s day and night different. :D

Then: darn, my new Processor sounds so much better than everyone else’s processors, especially their AVR’s. That’s because it has Dirac Live. :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe the only reason to include this article was to create some traffic/interest by causing a feeding frenzy on this snake oil topic. :D

Topic for the next article: darn, my new amp sounds absolutely better than my old amp - it’s day and night different. :D

Then: darn, my new Processor sounds so much better than everyone else’s processors, especially their AVR’s. That’s because it has Dirac Live. :D
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. You think Gene got attacked by one of those body snatcher creatures? :D;) In the end all that really matters, if Gene likes what those insulator, risers do for his setup that's all that matters.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Gene isn't the author of this article, he is just making a link to the article for the forum.
I hadn't read the article when I posted the question, just the comment in Gene's post and I don't see that text anywhere in the article, now that I have read it. If it had been meant as a quote, it should have been made obvious but using quotation marks. Not discounting the possibility that I missed it in my quick read, though. If I did, I'll admit that I did (first cup, eyes aren't fully open, etc).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis