Improve Your Loudspeakers Sound with this Tweak?

Do IsoAcoustics Isolators Really Work?

• Yes. It's a great tweak and must have despite their cost.

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Not sure. Sounds like snake oil to me.

Votes: 32 78.0%
  • No. I tried them and heard no difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I call BS and shame on Audioholics. Where are the blind listening tests? Any conflict of interest?
But, but the manufacturer's data shows that they reduced the velocity of cabinet vibrations down from 7 micrometers/s to 3 micrometers/s. :rolleyes: (a human hair measures between 17 to 180 micrometers)

I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, the article is all subjective opinion with no objective measurements to back them up.

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Decoupling speakers and subs from floor can actually help a lot depending on your floor material. I personally have DIY platforms under my speakers made of Auralex platfoam and it improved the sound quality significantly. Originally I wanted to make these when I was still living in apartment so that the low frequencies wouldn't travel to neighbors so easily and I was surprised how much the sound improved in the process. For the price those sell for I could improve many other things that would make bigger change in sound quality though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For the price those sell for I could improve many other things that would make bigger change in sound quality though.
Exactly where my head's at. There are a lot of things a guy could spend a grand on for tweaks and improvements that I think would be more tangible than thousand dollar footsies.

B

beaRA

Audioholic Intern
But, but the manufacturer's data shows that they reduced the velocity of cabinet vibrations down from 7 micrometers/s to 3 micrometers/s. :rolleyes: (a human hair measures between 17 to 180 micrometers)

I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, the article is all subjective opinion with no objective measurements to back them up.
And they still didn't outperform bungees. So I guess I learned that for maximum sound quality, I need to rig up a bungee suspension system. Would be much cheaper too.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Nice thick carpets over concrete/tiles are good enough for my seven RBH towers. :cool:

No way I would spend another $1K+ for that last bit of 1% sound. :D

Now if people have creaky wooden floors that are very prone to vibrations (instead of concrete + tile + thick carpet), I could maybe see the use of these.
And the thought of dismantling the SVTRS, hell noooo.... :oops:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There's so much to unpack in this...
Admittedly, I am a believer in combination coupling and decoupling to address vibration concerns.
But this? I'm highly skeptical.

First, friends here will know I use the Soundpath Feet on my two Subs and the Bass Cabinets of my Phil3s. Each of these cabinets with feet sit on top of a damping pad (mine are concrete from an architectural concrete specialty shop that does counters, fireplaces and such; salvaged from their boneyard of rejected parts.) which is coupled directly to my floorboard via spiked outriggers.
My own research led me to this solution, aiding in my solving for energy transfer through a very spongy suspended wood floor.
When listening to music with my Subs, stock feet, there was clear transference of energy to the structure, evidenced by vibrations felt directly through my seat and structural and decorative items rattling.
Subs (stock feet) on Concrete Pads (alone) on carpet still produced noticeable energy conduction. Subs with Soundpath Feet on carpeted floor or on Concrete Pad (alone) produced some energy conduction still, but it was lessened slightly.
It wasn't until my Outriggers were delivered and installed on the Concrete Pads that I felt and heard a noticeable change in the environment. In my previous posts, I think I quantified an approximate 85% reduction in signs of energy conduction to the structure of the house. It is only in the most extreme situations that the wavefronts themselves wreak havoc with my environment.
You cannot isolate your way beyond the effect of Acoustic Energy: simple physics. :)
This methodology works both ways and is suitable for those with sensitive electronics too. This is the idea behind the sand-filled box or "butcher block" board, but the implementation I described above should still be followed according to my research with the damping platform coupled to the surface its on, and the item on top of it decoupled from the platform.
(As an aside, here, the Phil 3s have sorbothane bumpers on the upper cabinet to help isolate it from the bass cabinet. In describing my room's structure to Dennis, he even recommended that the bass cabinet could possibly benefit from it's own isolation, too.)

*Note: Spikes couple... they do not decouple or isolate as many claim.

So, my first nit to pick...
The packaging should NEVER be a pro for the performance of the item.

Second... $500+ per Speaker treated. (I did mine for less than half that cost! And much like Gene admitting his Kimbers are audio Jewelry, I say the same about the Outriggers on my platforms... Spikes alone would do the job. Without the Outriggers, my complete solution would be between 1/5 and 1/4 the cost of IsoAcoustics.)

Next... Directional? No mechanical drawing, no dice. Pics or it didn't happen. Which then leads me to ask how do you install these on a unit like the SVS Ultra Towers with Side-Firing Drivers? What about Down-Firing Drivers?

Another... Improves Imaging And Focus? Shall we add Soundstage Dept and Width, too? Pace, Rhythm and Timing? Ooh... CHOCALATELY MIDS!!! C'mon...

Look, I'll give this much: By reducing the conductive energy transferred through to the structure of the house, I noticed what could be called a "tightening" of the Bass output. This would stand to reason if you are reducing other vibrations in the structure of the house: the acoustic output will sound cleaner.
But on a Concrete Floor? How much conductive energy can be transferred to the structure of the house?

The rest of this? I call shenanigans.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And the thought of dismantling the SVTRS, hell noooo.... :oops:
Somehow I doubt you will hear any kind of vibrational sounds with FOUR SV-1212NR subs playing. :D

Plus that Bohmer Room Correction (same one used for the $90K Legacy Audio flagship towers) will surely iron out any kind of "vibrational" frequency responses. :D

Although you might need these isolation feet for your Denon X8500 so that you can reduce the THD+N from 0.0007% to 0.0006%. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
There's so much to unpack in this...
Admittedly, I am a believer in combination coupling and decoupling to address vibration concerns.
But this? I'm highly skeptical.

First, friends here will know I use the Soundpath Feet on my two Subs and the Bass Cabinets of my Phil3s. Each of these cabinets with feet sit on top of a damping pad (mine are concrete from an architectural concrete specialty shop that does counters, fireplaces and such; salvaged from their boneyard of rejected parts.) which is coupled directly to my floorboard via spiked outriggers.
My own research led me to this solution, aiding in my solving for energy transfer through a very spongy suspended wood floor.
When listening to music with my Subs, stock feet, there was clear transference of energy to the structure, evidenced by vibrations felt directly through my seat and structural and decorative items rattling.
Subs (stock feet) on Concrete Pads (alone) on carpet still produced noticeable energy conduction. Subs with Soundpath Feet on carpeted floor or on Concrete Pad (alone) produced some energy conduction still, but it was lessened slightly.
It wasn't until my Outriggers were delivered and installed on the Concrete Pads that I felt and heard a noticeable change in the environment. In my previous posts, I think I quantified an approximate 85% reduction in signs of energy conduction to the structure of the house. It is only in the most extreme situations that the wavefronts themselves wreak havoc with my environment.
You cannot isolate your way beyond the effect of Acoustic Energy: simple physics. :)
This methodology works both ways and is suitable for those with sensitive electronics too. This is the idea behind the sand-filled box or "butcher block" board, but the implementation I described above should still be followed according to my research with the damping platform coupled to the surface its on, and the item on top of it decoupled from the platform.
(As an aside, here, the Phil 3s have sorbothane bumpers on the upper cabinet to help isolate it from the bass cabinet. In describing my room's structure to Dennis, he even recommended that the bass cabinet could possibly benefit from it's own isolation, too.)

*Note: Spikes couple... they do not decouple or isolate as many claim.

So, my first nit to pick...
The packaging should NEVER be a pro for the performance of the item.

Second... $500+ per Speaker treated. (I did mine for less than half that cost! And much like Gene admitting his Kimbers are audio Jewelry, I say the same about the Outriggers on my platforms... Spikes alone would do the job. Without the Outriggers, my complete solution would be between 1/5 and 1/4 the cost of IsoAcoustics.)

Next... Directional? No mechanical drawing, no dice. Pics or it didn't happen. Which then leads me to ask how do you install these on a unit like the SVS Ultra Towers with Side-Firing Drivers? What about Down-Firing Drivers?

Another... Improves Imaging And Focus? Shall we add Soundstage Dept and Width, too? Pace, Rhythm and Timing? Ooh... CHOCALATELY MIDS!!! C'mon...

Look, I'll give this much: By reducing the conductive energy transferred through to the structure of the house, I noticed what could be called a "tightening" of the Bass output. This would stand to reason if you are reducing other vibrations in the structure of the house: the acoustic output will sound cleaner.
But on a Concrete Floor? How much conductive energy can be transferred to the structure of the house?

The rest of this? I call shenanigans.
I agree with this . Originally I had subfloor with thick carpet wall to wall I had my sandbox risers spiked to the floor with towers and subs setting on top on just rubber feet all was fine . Then we had a waterline brake and flooded half our house . Then the wife chose vinyl flooring to replace it all threw out every room with a sound deadening foam layer sandwiched between the subfloor and the new top flooring . No spikes on the new floor so went to rubber feet worked on every thing but the subs had major vibration threw out my room. So upgraded both subs and used the SVS feet on top of the sand boxes very little vibrating on our walls now . My opinion they work in some situations but I’d never pay that kind of money for those in the review when with a little research and work you can diy the solution yourself for a 1/4 the cost and your time .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I could see how zero impact on the anechoic response could be spun as a benefit. You'd have to show some impact on the in-room response for me to believe these do anything audible at all.
It better prove that it can take a FR of +/-4dB and improves it to +/-1dB! :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It seems like they are chasing the less than 1% improvement here. JMHO. :)

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
When the guy stated he heard a "stunning" improvement I knew he was just another audioquack. IMO however the bigger issue here is Audioholics' credibility. It seems there are two competing forums within a forum. On the one hand James and Matt produce objective, highly credible test reports that we can all use in our buying decisions. On the other hand there is this guy and Jacob Green who just put out "gotta have it" bullshit about new products with no objective testing whatsoever. With all the advertising evident on this site one has to wonder about conflicts of interest. If there has been a statement from Delasalla regarding this matter please LMK but to my knowledge it has never been clarified.
Whatever you think of ASR (I have no personal involvement in any site) the forum does not accept advertising and Amir has certainly called out hundreds of products for poor quality with spirited debate from the membership. He has made his association with Harmon clear with each and every review of a Harmon related product. I have to think "reviews" like this one will drive more serious enthusiasts to ASR and other sites that are not influenced by commercial interests.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When the guy stated he heard a "stunning" improvement I knew he was just another audioquack. IMO however the bigger issue here is Audioholics' credibility. It seems there are two competing forums within a forum. On the one hand James and Matt produce objective, highly credible test reports that we can all use in our buying decisions. On the other hand there is this guy and Jacob Green who just put out "gotta have it" bullshit about new products with no objective testing whatsoever. With all the advertising evident on this site one has to wonder about conflicts of interest. If there has been a statement from Delasalla regarding this matter please LMK but to my knowledge it has never been clarified.
Whatever you think of ASR (I have no personal involvement in any site) the forum does not accept advertising and Amir has certainly called out hundreds of products for poor quality with spirited debate from the membership. He has made his association with Harmon clear with each and every review of a Harmon related product. I have to think "reviews" like this one will drive more serious enthusiasts to ASR and other sites that are not influenced by commercial interests.
Well, nothing is black-and-white.

If we want to be "all practical and realistic down-to-earth", then there is probably not much to talk about other than features.

What I mean is that most measurements are 100% INAUDIBLE anyway. But for years and years, we all talk about SNR, THD+N, Crosstalk, FR, etc. Now with ASR and AH, we are focused on THD+N (SINAD). All these THD+N are INAUDIBLE. Do they improve reliability? Do they reduce heat production? But we still talk about them.

The same goes for Video (projectors, TV, displays). We talk about specs all the time that don't really say the WHOLE STORY at the end of the day.

So this is just another thing we can talk about or MAKE FUN of. :D

You wonder how the rest of the world view audio/video enthusiasts like all of us. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Somehow I doubt you will hear any kind of vibrational sounds with FOUR SV-1212NR subs playing. :D

Plus that Bohmer Room Correction (same one used for the $90K Legacy Audio flagship towers) will surely iron out any kind of "vibrational" frequency responses. :D

Although you might need these isolation feet for your Denon X8500 so that you can reduce the THD+N from 0.0007% to 0.0006%. :eek: :D

Wow! What an improvement!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think you are being overly harsh and bombastic with this line.
It’s one thing to question Theo’s review, challenge it even. But the hyperbole?… don’t get me wrong, I love hyperbole… but seriously, counter his statements with something meaningful rather than just saying it’s BS.

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic

If we want to be "all practical and realistic down-to-earth", then there is probably not much to talk about other than features.

What I mean is that most measurements are 100% INAUDIBLE anyway. But for years and years, we all talk about SNR, THD+N, Crosstalk, FR, etc. Now with ASR and AH, we are focused on THD+N (SINAD). All these THD+N are INAUDIBLE. Do they improve reliability? Do they reduce heat production? But we still talk about them.

The same goes for Video (projectors, TV, displays). We talk about specs all the time that don't really say the WHOLE STORY at the end of the day.

You wonder how the rest of the world view audio/video enthusiasts like all of us. :D
This report states that there was a stunning improvement in sound without credible evidence. Seems pretty clear to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have all my speakers on stands separated from the stand by MoPads. They work. I've done this in my setup for years after trying it out.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

I get flack all the time when friends come over, they go man that sounds great how much I'll get something like that. Then I tell them how much I have invested in my mediocre setup. They go, umm wow your crazy you could've gotten a used car or a nice motorcycle secondhand at least. When they pull out their 1500 buck cellphone I go wow! You could've had a nice system in your home instead of that soundbar from Walmart. They get this bewildered looking in their eyes, priceless. :D

bombadil

bombadil

Junior Audioholic
I think you are being overly harsh and bombastic with this line.
It’s one thing to question Theo’s review, challenge it even. But the hyperbole?… don’t get me wrong, I love hyperbole… but seriously, counter his statements with something meaningful rather than just saying it’s BS.
I didn't write the article, I don't have anything to prove or disprove. This guy stated there was a stunning improvement in sound based only his listening. Dont' we hear enough of this crap in all the forums and youtube videos? I expect it from Darko and his ilk but not from Audioholics.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis