I'm so angry with the U.S. and Chinese governments right now!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Ninja
A funny as well as an informative opinion piece!

No doubt there have been previous presidents and high ranking politicians (of both parties) that where racist, but as you wrote they where not as open and blatant about it as Trump, while they cynically played the race card.

In my opinion, Trump goes far further with his open racism as well as inciting his own base with it where they now are chanting "Send her back" with his approval, and words have consequences. I wonder when a Trump supporter tries to murder one of the four female coloured members of the House that Trump has attacked with his racist tweets.
It's hard to be shocked by much anymore, but hearing thousands of people yell "Send her back!" in unison made my jaw drop.

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
I'm onboard with simplifying tax laws. Even for individual taxpayers, the difference between when I started working and now, is dramatic. It used to be pretty straightforward - not anymore. If I needed to call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) multiple times with the same question, I could get a different answer each time, depending on who you speak with.

And, the more complicated tax laws are for corporations, the more opportunities there are to game them.
That's "the cap", referring to the cap on income subject to FICA tax. For 2019 it's $132,900. I'm not convinced that raising the cap would help the program, because benefits would go up too for higher income people. I just haven't seen the math; maybe raising the cap would benefit the program.
While it would be unfair to those who pay more, using a different scale for their max payout would help. As it is, there's no guarantee that the person will live long enough to receive whet they paid in and assuming similar life expectancy (for the sake of discussion),the program will retain more than it could have before- some do, some don't. This is based on Congress leaving the trust alone and not looking at it as an entitlement, of course.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Ninja
It's hard to be shocked by much anymore, but hearing thousands of people yell "Send her back!" in unison made my jaw drop.

Group mentality is very much a thing. I'm willing to bet those people individually think differently than when they're in a rally type situation. It's easy to get sucked into that sort of thing and come out thinking "wait a minute".

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord

Group mentality is very much a thing. I'm willing to bet those people individually think differently than when they're in a rally type situation. It's easy to get sucked into that sort of thing and come out thinking "wait a minute".
I 'herd' that.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Ninja
So, it's been a year and how has Meng Wanzhou been coping with house arrest? Just fine, apparently:

Meanwhile, the two Canadians arrested (read: kidnapped) in retaliation are still sitting in dank Chinese cells as prisoners (read: hostages).

As I stated in a previous post, I'm over my initial anger, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about these guys. They are facing another Christmas away from their families, with no end in sight to their predicament.

We've - the west, that is, not just Canada - become so dependant on Chinese products, that we have very little leverage over the Chinese government.

So, what can the west do - in the big picture sense - about facing down the Chinese regime and their belligerent behaviour?

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Overlord
So, it's been a year and how has Meng Wanzhou been coping with house arrest? Just fine, apparently:

Meanwhile, the two Canadians arrested (read: kidnapped) in retaliation are still sitting in dank Chinese cells as prisoners (read: hostages).

As I stated in a previous post, I'm over my initial anger, but that doesn't mean I've forgotten about these guys. They are facing another Christmas away from their families, with no end in sight to their predicament.

We've - the west, that is, not just Canada - become so dependant on Chinese products, that we have very little leverage over the Chinese government.

So, what can the west do - in the big picture sense - about facing down the Chinese regime and their belligerent behaviour?
Suck it up and stop buying so much crap, save for better goods and start buying things that were made closer to home.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Ninja
Suck it up and stop buying so much crap, save for better goods and start buying things that were made closer to home.
While I don't disagree with your suggestion, there isn't much that isn't made in China, or contain Chinese-made components.

For example:

"...a watch is considered Swiss if its movement is Swiss, if the movement has been assembled in the Swiss region, its final inspection occurred in Switzerland, and at least 60% of manufacturing costs are domestic.[3] Besides the Swiss made requirements, watches may carry the Swiss movement ("Swiss Movt") marker if at least half of the assembled parts are of Swiss manufacture.[3]"

A significant number of Swiss watch components are actually made in China. When western companies started investing in China, I think there was a mistaken belief that a natural by-product would be a gradual democratization of China. All that really happened was an enabling of the regime to maintain and, indeed, tighten control of the country. They are using our money against us.

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis