I'm not sure I can read Stereophile any longer, even for JA's measurements

sfseay

sfseay

Enthusiast
I’m not most people, but I have two PS Audio Statement power Cords I use. They came with some used PS Audio equipment I bought then later sold, but I kept the power cords. One goes to the ML 585 and one to the Lumin.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I’m not most people, but I have two PS Audio Statement power Cords I use. They came with some used PS Audio equipment I bought then later sold, but I kept the power cords. One goes to the ML 585 and one to the Lumin.
so long as you happy that's all that matters. I too utilize aftermarket PC's (Signal Cable), I have to , the run from my outlet to my amps exceeds what came with the amps.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Most people that don’t like after market power cords have never heard them or can’t afford them.
And you came up with this based on what survey of audio enthusiasts? Or did you simply pull it out of your ...?

I think I know the answer.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Most people that don’t like after market power cords have never heard them or can’t afford them.
Can you give any valid arguments for how 3 or so feet of a fancy/expensive power cable could possibly (magically) improve your audio accuracy, when your power is already coming through 30 feet of run-of-the-mill Romex in your walls from the breaker to the power outlet?

Anything beyond "adequate" is a waste of resources. Resources that would be better allocated to other items like better speakers, measurement gear, or room treatments, or beer!

If power cords were critical, then obviously the electrical lab instrumentation and medical equipment would require these, but the fact is that they do not.

Don't drink that Kool-Aid! :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
LOL, I was completely sober when a demo was performed on IC's and a discernible difference was heard. The point being made is that wire 'can be made' to influence the sound, I'm not saying it's right.
OK, but was the cause of the difference determined or revealed?

highfigh

highfigh

Exactly, what does an expensive power cord do to improve the sound?

Anyone who can answer and prove this will get me to change my mind but the effect needs to be audible and visible, at the speaker output. If it's not, it's not helping.

Saying "it's experiential" and the comment about not being able to afford them are bullcrap. I have worked on Ferraris and other expensive cars, but that doesn't mean I like everything about them. I work on very expensive homes and there's plenty to dislike- what's your point? Telling people they can't dislike something because they can't afford it? Really?

If something changes enough to make an audible difference, it should be measurable.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I'm old enough to remember when high end cables were a new thing. I didn't buy the premise then or now. Nor did I buy into "Magic bricks"(both kinds), pebbles, capacitor beds(I don't remember the right name), and all the other stuff that some people buy into. I love reading bizarre "crazy" claims about anything from flat earth to "crisis actors"(Poor faceblind people believe this) to high dollar cables. When I read in a forum where someone connects up their $1000 HT receiver with interconnects and speaker cables that cost more than the receiver itself, it's just too funny. Obviously, enough people believe in the cable religion that it keeps all the companies making them in business. I know a guy who makes his own cables, and they are very pretty and well made, but do they sound better than 12 gauge copper wire and banana plugs I crimp and solder on? Nope, but they are impressive, and in pretty colors. I like the blue jacketed with the silver bananas myself. Not enough to buy an 8' set for $50, but I think they are neat looking. Same goes for the braided cables, lit ones, etc.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I've had Pangea and Shunyata in my rig. Didn't do anything that Belden shielded twisted pair 600v rated cable didn't do.

I would say most people that have after market power cords have never submitted themselves to a bias controlled listening session.

Look up the McGurk effect on youtube sometime.

jinjuku

jinjuku

On the Stereophile front: They dumped Michael Lavorgna. This is a guy that heard all sorts of differences in Ethernet cables.

I'm amazed that they kept someone around for so long that patently just made stuff up.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

On the Stereophile front: They dumped Michael Lavorgna. This is a guy that heard all sorts of differences in Ethernet cables.

I'm amazed that they kept someone around for so long that patently just made stuff up.
This is his setup:
https://positive-feedback.com/Issue16/lavigneroom.htm

And, I think this is his performance under DBT cable comparison of his 5 figure cable and monster 12ga:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ultra-hi-end-ht-gear-20-000/941184-observations-controlled-cable-test.html

Of course he was making stuff up.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Mike Lavigne and Mike Lavorgna are two different people, right? That's Lavigne's room, not Lavorgna's, right?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Mike Lavigne and Mike Lavorgna are two different people, right? That's Lavigne's room, not Lavorgna's, right?
Could be but the one who took the DBT, I believe was talking about his setup posted at AA at one time. And the cables were $30k +.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis