If you had to buy HD or Blue Ray tommorow,which one

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I picked up a PS3 on opening day.

Why? Because of studio support and CE support. Mostly due to studio support though. Since about 85% of the movies that exist come from studios that support Blu-ray, right now it will give me far more choices. The price is excellent and the quality has been outstanding. I have only a few movies at this time and have rented a few from BB Online.

I have been following the format war closely and the PS3 at $500 just seems to make sense. The $600 is not needed for most people who want mostly movies, but it is a fairly cheap upgrade to enjoy.

My biggest concern is how many people still think that Blu-ray is putting out films that look anything less than top notch compared to HD DVD. Blu-ray films are just incredible looking... as are HD DVD films.

For quality? Pick either format! They both look phenomenal.

For selection and consumer choice? Blu-ray is ahead right now and has far more titles slated for release.

For winning the format war? Tough call. But, there has not been a response to PS3 being released by HD DVD other than an announcement of cheap Asian players coming at some point this year. PS3 has drastically impacted Blu-ray sales over the past 2 months, basically more than quintupling sales of discs.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
Sheep said:
Can I wait until the sound and video formats are settled with?

SheepStar

i agree even at that dont get caught in the hipe.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
BMXTRIX said:
I picked up a PS3 on opening day.

Why? Because of studio support and CE support. Mostly due to studio support though. Since about 85% of the movies that exist come from studios that support Blu-ray, right now it will give me far more choices. The price is excellent and the quality has been outstanding. I have only a few movies at this time and have rented a few from BB Online.

I have been following the format war closely and the PS3 at $500 just seems to make sense. The $600 is not needed for most people who want mostly movies, but it is a fairly cheap upgrade to enjoy.

My biggest concern is how many people still think that Blu-ray is putting out films that look anything less than top notch compared to HD DVD. Blu-ray films are just incredible looking... as are HD DVD films.

For quality? Pick either format! They both look phenomenal.

For selection and consumer choice? Blu-ray is ahead right now and has far more titles slated for release.

For winning the format war? Tough call. But, there has not been a response to PS3 being released by HD DVD other than an announcement of cheap Asian players coming at some point this year. PS3 has drastically impacted Blu-ray sales over the past 2 months, basically more than quintupling sales of discs.

Well, that is what I was thinking, picking this up at $500 if I could find it. Costco is bundling it as does WalMart, I think.
The question is, have you had playback issues, player stopping or freezing in middle, etc. Have read reports of such issues.
It does offer 1080p and all the audio format capability. But, there are films on HD that I want as well and the Hd players so far don't output 1080p, that I have seen.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
mtrycrafts said:
Well, that is what I was thinking, picking this up at $500 if I could find it. Costco is bundling it as does WalMart, I think.
The question is, have you had playback issues, player stopping or freezing in middle, etc. Have read reports of such issues.
It does offer 1080p and all the audio format capability. But, there are films on HD that I want as well and the Hd players so far don't output 1080p, that I have seen.
I believe the Toshiba HD-XA2 does 1080p, the only one from the HD-DVD camp that does. I would hope the LG dual format player will do 1080p for both formats, but I am not sure what they are doing with that player. I would like to see a dual format Denon or Integra, that would be nice.:)

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
RainMan said:
If you had to buy HD or Blue Ray tommorow,which one
I don't know why all the rest of you guys are answering when he's askin' me. ;)

HD-DVD! Anyone who can afford Blu-ray has too much money to spare.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Tomorrow said:
I don't know why all the rest of you guys are answering when he's askin' me. ;)

HD-DVD! Anyone who can afford Blu-ray has too much money to spare.
Or they prefer to back a company that isn't taking huge hits on every sale of a player....

....or that...

SheepStar

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep said:
Or they prefer to back a company that isn't taking huge hits on every sale of a player....

....or that...

SheepStar
So very serious Sheep. Are you turning over a new leaf or just chasing me around trying to "get even"? LOL. :D

L

LEVESQUE

Junior Audioholic
I already have both.

HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2 (1080p), 2X X-Box 360 add-on.

Blu-ray: Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 (1080p).

All I want is HD movies, and I don't care about the "war" at all. I have over 100 tiltes (76 HD-DVDs and 26 Blu-rays) and around 20 more coming in the next weeks.

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Wow. 76 HD-DVD movies and 26 Blue-ray!
Why do you have so many more HD-DVD movies vs Blue-ray?

Beware the sales people. Even though the article below is 4-5 months old, many thing still hold true. It's a good read.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/retailing_HD-DVD_Blu-ray.htm

Personally, I am waiting until HDMI, and receivers get straightened out.
Hopefully someone will have won by then as well.

Reorx

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
I have about 5 titles and haven't had an issue with any of them causing issues or anything. I think if I was seeing regular issues on any disc, that wasn't attributable to a faulty disc, I would take my PS3 back. I got it for Blu-ray playback, and that's what it's giving me.

All for my wasted money price of $600 (got the premium one).

Really, while HD DVD is excellent in quality and has some great titles, there are just going to be more current release movies that I don't already have on DVD coming out for Blu-ray... and that just excites the heck out of me. I imagine I may someday end up with a dual format player or HD DVD player though if Universal doesn't start releasing Blu-ray titles. They have to many great movies to ignore.

For getting the 20GB model: Try CircuitCity.com as they may have a store in your area with them in stock.

EB Games also seems to have them in stock (non bundled) : http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?N=141+83

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't had anything freeze in my PS3 either. I do have the latest firmware also though.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
The answer to the question: Do yourself a favor and wait, you've got nothing to lose, but your money.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, wait and get into it just as they come out with something else...

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
j_garcia said:
Yeah, wait and get into it just as they come out with something else...
That something else is going to be a long ways coming.;)

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i'm waiting until they release LOTR on HD ... or some other favorite movie of mine. why haven't I seen spiderman on blu-ray?

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
If I had to buy HD-DVD or Blu-ray tomorrow, I would choose HD-DVD, because I already have Blu-ray in my PS3.

I wonder if Microsoft will bring out another version of the Xbox 360, with the HD-DVD drive built-in, and sell it for $499.00???

K

KrisJ

Junior Audioholic
If I had to buy tomorrow, I'd get HD-DVD becuase I already own a BD player

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

BMXTRIX said:
I have about 5 titles and haven't had an issue with any of them causing issues or anything. I think if I was seeing regular issues on any disc, that wasn't attributable to a faulty disc, I would take my PS3 back. I got it for Blu-ray playback, and that's what it's giving me.

All for my wasted money price of $600 (got the premium one).

Really, while HD DVD is excellent in quality and has some great titles, there are just going to be more current release movies that I don't already have on DVD coming out for Blu-ray... and that just excites the heck out of me. I imagine I may someday end up with a dual format player or HD DVD player though if Universal doesn't start releasing Blu-ray titles. They have to many great movies to ignore.

For getting the 20GB model: Try CircuitCity.com as they may have a store in your area with them in stock.

EB Games also seems to have them in stock (non bundled) : http://www.ebgames.com/search.asp?N=141+83
Great, thanks. I did visit CC the other day but were out. I think I will wait until it is in stock locally so I can return or exchange just in case. But, it is getting harder and harder to wait.
Do you need a HDMI switcher or have just 1 source or an accommodating receiver. I'd need a switcher as the HD would be coming as well in the near future.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

j_garcia said:
I haven't had anything freeze in my PS3 either. I do have the latest firmware also though.

Also good news. Some at AVS had problems that may have been disc related. Who knows.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
mtrycrafts said:
Great, thanks. I did visit CC the other day but were out. I think I will wait until it is in stock locally so I can return or exchange just in case. But, it is getting harder and harder to wait.
Do you need a HDMI switcher or have just 1 source or an accommodating receiver. I'd need a switcher as the HD would be coming as well in the near future.
Not sure if you have a EB Games or Gamestop near your home, but if you buy online from EB Games you are allowed to return it to a B&M store that is near to you! Very cool of them to allow this. Kind of like buying from Circuit City online and returning your purchase to a local store.

I'm not sure what your setup is, but you can play PS3 in HD resolutions including 720p and 1080i via component video if you want. If you feel the need for HDMI then you can go with resolutions up to 1080p (if your TV supports it). Do you need a switcher? Not really. If you only have the PS3 as your HD source and only HDMI source, then just connect it straight to your display. Once you add more sources that use HDMI (or DVI) you may want to get at least a switcher (www.monoprice.com) Some point later down the road you may up the ante and get a HDMI 1.3 capable A/V receiver like the Denon products coming out later this year.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis