If you had to buy HD or Blue Ray tommorow,which one

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Hi all ,I was wondering what the recent thought's were on HD or Blue ray ?
I may take my Yamaha 2700 DVD player back to the dealership tommorow ,and was debating to order Pioneer's blue ray player ,although I think it's priced a little high .
I have alway's had good luck with Pioneer's player's ,so my option is really only blue ray if I stay with there brand.I just know if I dive in right now that Blue ray will fade away (sony alway's screw's thing's up) and I will be stuck with a player that has no product .
I looked at a toshiba HD player ,and I don't like the asthetic's of it at all.
I would be very grateful on any input on this subject ,but I think maybe a person should wait a year or two though .

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Can I wait until the sound and video formats are settled with?

SheepStar

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
j_garcia said:
Blu Ray. Oh wait, I already did.
Are you having any problem's at all ,little dot's or anything ?
Which brand did you buy ,and thank's for the reply!

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
If I had to buy one tomorrow it would be a HD-DVD player.

cheers:)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought a PS3. What do you mean little dots? You mean pixelation? Yes, on Sleepy Hollow, on one scene there is some pixelation. I haven't watched all of Kingdom of Heaven yet, but it looked quite excellent.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I wouldn't buy right now - I'd wait till the dust settles a little more and the player get better (i.e. 4th and 5th gen).

but hypothetically speaking – HD-DVD

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just say no to war for HD-formats!!

:D

I'm going to do my best Switzerland, and wait until I can buy 1 universal player. I hear LG electronics is planning to make one.

J

Jeff HDDVD

Enthusiast
Got Last night

I just hooked up my new Toshiba HD-AX2 to my new Sony SXRD KDS-50A2000 1080p TV and WOW!!! Go away BLU-RAY!!!:D

R

RockRover

Audiophyte
Have to say I'd go with the HD-AX2...MANY good reviews and with Time Warner going AC/DC on the formating (ie. flipper disks) price becomes the primary driver, and no longer the "which studio supports what" question.

That said, I'm gonna' wait...as painful as that is.

--D

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
I purchased a PS3 and I couldn't be happier.

More studios support Blu-ray and they have about the same amount of movies currently available. Blu-ray.com claims there are 161 out right now but that seems a little high. I have found on a couple of review sites that both Blu-ray and HD DVD have around 130 titles available. Some one should come out with an accurate list :)

Though Blu-ray players and movies are a little more expensive I do think it will be worth purchasing a Blu-ray player. Blu-ray movies were released 2 months later and they have about the same amount of movie titles out right now, pretty impressive, and just surpassed HD DVD in sales last month.

I currently own 5 Blu-ray movies (and Saw 3 is on it's way), and only one is all but spectacular, but it is still better quality than a DVD. If you are leaning toward Blu-ray and it is about price, just buy the $499.99 PS3 (just keep in mind there is no DVD upscaling...yet), otherwise just wait for the Combo players. It does suck that I have Terminator 1 and 2 on Blu-ray and Terminator 3 is only available on HD DVD...:( Just my 2 cents.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I too will wait for the "ultra" universal players capable of both formats with fully supported HDMI 1.3. I suspect it will still be a couple of years before I'm confident enough in the technology of these new universal players before I would buy one however.

J

Jacksmyname

Audioholic
I have both the A2 and XA2 Toshibas.
Both are absolutely terrific.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
apatel25314 said:
best buy has a combo player out for 1300
Holy crap, I had no idea those existed.

And it's only $1200.

That's nuts.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Guess you haven't been reading on here much....It was announced at CES.

R

RainMan

Junior Audioholic
Thank's for the reply's Guy's

I guess my mind got made up for me today .
I am going to have to cope with my Yamaha DVD 2700 for a while I guess . I wasnt to pleased with it,but my dealer doesn't seem like he want's to take it back at this point . So I guess I will wait till the Pioneer one come's down in price next year ,and hopefully the format's will be figures out .
I hate to buy Pioneer's blue ray ,only to find out thay HD becomes the only format in the future. Interesting to see what happend's in the next few year's

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
j_garcia said:
I bought a PS3. What do you mean little dots? You mean pixelation? Yes, on Sleepy Hollow, on one scene there is some pixelation. I haven't watched all of Kingdom of Heaven yet, but it looked quite excellent.

How is it with the BD DVDs? Some complain that it doesn't play some of the discs and returned the ps3. But, that 20g is a good buy at $499, or less. Then, an HD and have both for less than the new LG.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
RainMan said:
Hi all ,I was wondering what the recent thought's were on HD or Blue ray ?
I may take my Yamaha 2700 DVD player back to the dealership tommorow ,and was debating to order Pioneer's blue ray player ,although I think it's priced a little high .
I have alway's had good luck with Pioneer's player's ,so my option is really only blue ray if I stay with there brand.I just know if I dive in right now that Blue ray will fade away (sony alway's screw's thing's up) and I will be stuck with a player that has no product .
I looked at a toshiba HD player ,and I don't like the asthetic's of it at all.
I would be very grateful on any input on this subject ,but I think maybe a person should wait a year or two though .

A very big gamble to pick just one and hope it is the sole survivor. There may be a dual format player besides the LG which has issues, $1200, and no HD DVD logo on it. So, I would just not pick one today. :mad: I thought I had to have them but, I took a cold shower.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis