I want to upgrade to Martin Logan 60XT

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
If you can get the RP 8000 to play well with placement Id keep them any day all day it's not just about size or power they are very efficient at 92db as measured here and what you lucky dog have with those beautiful beasts combined with those pb 3000's is something most people won't is HEADROOM it won't take much on your volume knob to get that whole room to SING which means no distortion at any playback level you want

I'd take big badass efficient towers any day they'll have much more power to the crossover point that your subs take over here's how I had them set up in my old place

View attachment 34061View attachment 34062
That's a nice looking room, similar to my upstairs. Boy I messed up, Why didn't I think of getting a rack rather than a cabinet. I know when I started my project I didn't have a clear picture of the end result or how far I was gonna go with it. Pretty much why I've made so many upgrades. I have to consider ditching the cabinet. But what to do with the center 504c?

What's in your rack and why do you have 3 8000's?

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
For the amount of subwoofage you are already sporting, you don't need huge bass-heavy towers. Speakers that can dip into the mid or low 30Hz range serve you no good when they're hi-passed at 80Hz. All my setups are 2.0 so bass extension is more of a concern to someone like me.

It would be interesting if someone auditioned several tower speakers set at 80Hz hi-pass (but no sub running) instead of full range, and then offered their insights based on the bandwidth they'd actually be using in their homes.
I had a gf, it ran it's course. She moved to Florida. She liked to spend money on herself, She'd get her hair done, manicures, pedicures, nice clothes. lots of jewelry and watches. And I would spend money for both of us to enjoy. Tv's, speakers, avr's amp's …. :cool:

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Agree. I just think for the cost now, discounted ML Motion 60XTs became a reasonable option. At full retail price, not so much.
But the caveat is that OP has not actually heard many speakers and is living on YouTube reviews, it seems.

Watching Youthman can only take you so far, I'm afraid.
Shopping for a new pair of loudspeaker is gonna take some time. I did some reading on your Focal Aria 936. French, everything made in house, a little pricey. Your thoughts on Elac Kef, B&W?
Elac versus Focal

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've gotten a lot of feed back. And I agree with all of you. I do have limitations in that room, but I will move the center speaker and the 8000's. I made quite a few improvements last night changing the crossovers. And yes, I am looking for a different sound, the Klipsch have a sound of there own like most speakers. So, I think what I have decided, I'm gonna make a second theater room. This one will be upstairs and a 5.1. With that said, I'll post some pics of this room and request some new feedback on what to do in this space. It's about the same size, but more open and airy with tall cathedral ceilings. This is an addictive hobby. And a lot of fun. It seems I'm shopping every other month for a new upgrade. So this second room will take a few months. One piece at a time.
Klipsch has been doing this for quite some time and you're exactly right...they do have their own sound identity, they probably make their own drivers and we obviously know they are famous for their horn tweeters.

I've been a B&W 804m series owner for over 20 yrs...for the 1st 15 yrs or so it was strictly a 2 ch system. As I was thinking about transitioning to a new system, naturally I wanted to hear the new B&Ws and that was probably the 1st time I heard the term "warm" associated with B&W speakers. Truthfully, to me warm was the norm...I didn't really know what it meant. I just knew that I liked it.

Then I started demoing speakers noted to be neutral and in comparison with my speakers I started to pick up on the differences.

I still like B&W 800 series but I'm glad the D3 series was way out of my price range. I understand you don't have the option of demoing many speakers which makes this much more difficult, but I bought my Salks without hearing the exact model I ended up with, but I was so impressed with the 2 way Salk I had heard, the reputation, and feedback from Salk owners...I was sold.

I budgeted and saved for a year and a half before I bought anything and when I did start spending I was pretty much fully funded, it still took almost a year to complete the system.

Building new systems and upgrading can be addictive, but I think you know when you've finally hit the nail squarely on the head and your system more or less gets out of the way and let the music/movie content flow as the people that created it intended...that was my goal, and I feel like I've attained it...from this point forward I expect some tweaks here and there.

Jim Salk said with your subs, you could probably spend double the money and not really improve your SQ...To put that to the test, I've gone out and listened to some heavy weight speakers (B&W 803d3 - $15k, Paradigm Persona 3F - $10k, notably). To date, he's been correct 2.0 to 2.0 those speakers have more low end, higher SPL, but 2.0 to 2.1...I'm content. Music is my passion, I'm not a big enough movie guy to chase the "next" surround mode whatever it may be.

Said that to say...by all means don't rush it. Wish you the best with it.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
If you are thinking of doing a Music only system, why not just focus on killing a true 2.1 rig. No need for surrounds really, unless you are chasing 5.1 recordings.
I received a reply from Safe and Sound in regards to my $1000 offer for the refurbed XTI's. They came back with $1140 his offer expires in 6 hours. I'm betting I can get him to knock another $60 off. I'm gonna head over to the magnolia store and take a look and listen to them. Kinda liking those Canton and Focal now. So it's obvious I'm gonna make a second room....

In the meantime maybe you and danzilla can help me with my dedicated 13 speaker Klipsch theatre room. Something went amiss the other night when I was playing around....damn booz….This morning I pulled the 8000's away from the corners 4". It blocks me from going upstairs, but no big deal, I live alone, I can work with it. I may swap around the subs with the 8000's, it's an option. For now, my center is gonna stay put in the cabinet. Before I run Audyssey again, 13 speakers, 8 positions, it takes a while, can I pick your brain a bit, please.
I have my Crown set up as follows:
Amp=stereo
input sensitivity=1.4
crossover=no
On the Marantz sr7012 I set all speakers to small and the 8000's and the center at 80hz all other speakers are at 100hz.
Under the audio/audyssey menu:
Multi EQ=flat
Dynamic EQ=on
level 0
Dynamic volume=medium
Thanks for all the help.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Neither did I! o_O:oops::oops:
I didn't say you had the Focal, I meant it was something you had suggested I take a look at. And look I did. They look really nice. Aesthetically the nicest in my opinion.

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
I was going to get mad at you for not telling me about it, when I was auditioning those ;-)
My original intentions, before I watched youthman demo the 60XTI, was to upgrade my 65"oled to the 77"oled. Well, now that I can't find a deal, I been waiting patiently to see $3200 for a 77"oled, I have $3200 to spend on something else. I see world wide stereo has focal 936 for $1400 each. I'm headed to the magnolia store now. I will take a look at see how far I can take $3200

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My original intentions, before I watched youthman demo the 60XTI, was to upgrade my 65"oled to the 77"oled. Well, now that I can't find a deal, I been waiting patiently to see $3200 for a 77"oled, I have $3200 to spend on something else. I see world wide stereo has focal 936 for $1400 each. I'm headed to the magnolia store now. I will take a look at see how far I can take $3200
Where about do you call home?

Best Buy / Magnolia is a decent place for finding a reference point, but not a great place to learn, rarely to buy.

Just please, for the love of all that's holy, don't come away with DefTech or B&Ws! :p

AVUser001

AVUser001

Full Audioholic
Like I had mentioned earlier in my thread, based on my auditioning these different speakers, the Focal Aria 936 , to me , is at a level above the ML60s..
For the reduced price the ML60XTs are a great value, fantastic performers, very lively, will awaken your senses and will impress you on multiple dimensions ...,but the Arias had one of the best immersive soundstages , I've heard ,smooth like a butter but still very accurate (DynAudio's soft-dome tweeters are another example) and transport you elsewhere.
I have the ML35XT bookshelves, which have the same folded motion XT tweeters as in 60XT..they're in my family room and serve me well, everyday. Beautiful reproduction. Obviously they lack the bass of the tower brothers, but I'm not planning to add a sub yet..maybe in the future , once I take care of the more pressing things in my office & HT.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's a nice looking room, similar to my upstairs. Boy I messed up, Why didn't I think of getting a rack rather than a cabinet. I know when I started my project I didn't have a clear picture of the end result or how far I was gonna go with it. Pretty much why I've made so many upgrades. I have to consider ditching the cabinet. But what to do with the center 504c?

What's in your rack and why do you have 3 8000's?
Bro after joining this site I had to make so many upgrades like you to fix stuff Id done wrong

But some of those mistakes are what we need to do to learn

NOBODY gets it right at first we all make mistakes and we all pay for them it's just part of the learning and let's face it we are audioholics it's part of the fun we love us some upgrades! :p

Why I have the 3 towers in the front is I thanks to being single will never compromise if I can get away with it

3 identical towers I c r is the best way to set up your front stage for movies PERIOD. I've never seen a center channel match what a tower can do in the center position

The way the sound seamlessly moves across the front vocals perfectly clear dynamics imaging soundstage it's addicting it's why I do it here's a shot of my bedroom setup
20191221_170636.jpg

I get the best of both worlds for movies amazing if I setup my left right correctly when I switch to 2 channel music listening amazing

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I received a reply from Safe and Sound in regards to my $1000 offer for the refurbed XTI's. They came back with $1140 his offer expires in 6 hours. I'm betting I can get him to knock another $60 off. I'm gonna head over to the magnolia store and take a look and listen to them. Kinda liking those Canton and Focal now. So it's obvious I'm gonna make a second room....

In the meantime maybe you and danzilla can help me with my dedicated 13 speaker Klipsch theatre room. Something went amiss the other night when I was playing around....damn booz….This morning I pulled the 8000's away from the corners 4". It blocks me from going upstairs, but no big deal, I live alone, I can work with it. I may swap around the subs with the 8000's, it's an option. For now, my center is gonna stay put in the cabinet. Before I run Audyssey again, 13 speakers, 8 positions, it takes a while, can I pick your brain a bit, please.
Amp=stereo
input sensitivity=1.4
crossover=no
On the Marantz sr7012 I set all speakers to small and the 8000's and the center at 80hz all other speakers are at 100hz.
Multi EQ=flat
Dynamic EQ=on
level 0
Dynamic volume=medium
Thanks for all the help.
I'm going to run into some controversy but it's hard for me to tell you what to set there.

I don't use auto eq as I don't like it I calibrate everything with a good old fashioned laser ruler and spl meter and I turn all that dynamic eq and volume crap off

Both in my avr and on my 4k player or in the theater room in my prepro LOL

I've always been much happier dialing the results in myself

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Amp=stereo
input sensitivity=1.4
crossover=no
Multi EQ=flat
Dynamic EQ=on
level 0
Dynamic volume=medium
Thanks for all the help.
On my crown 1502 I have the sensitivity set at .775 the gain knobs turned down to the 2 or 3 o'clock position closer to halfway but past it then I calibrate from there

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I personally think some of your issues with your klipsch are from the auto eq but that's my personal experiences and I have nothing to back it on

Many people get excellent results with room correction software

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On my crown 1502 I have the sensitivity set at .775 the gain knobs turned down to the 2 or 3 o'clock position closer to halfway but past it then I calibrate from there
Oh and yes no crossover is set on each channel I run it full range on the crowns that's how you set it

C

chrysler82000

Full Audioholic
Where about do you call home?

Best Buy / Magnolia is a decent place for finding a reference point, but not a great place to learn, rarely to buy.

Just please, for the love of all that's holy, don't come away with DefTech or B&Ws! :p
Suburbs of Chicago. I would never buy from Best Buy, there is always a better deal somewhere else. I would never buy B&W, they stuck a penis on top of there speakers. I did listen to the 700's tho, they sound pretty good. I also stopped at the ABT, demo'd ML60XT and 60XTI. They sound ok. I did not have a WOW until I stopped at Simply Stereo and sat down to hear the Paradigm 7F. WOW WOW WOW, those are the ones. And there on sale, only $17,000.00 a pair.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Suburbs of Chicago. I would never buy from Best Buy, there is always a better deal somewhere else. I would never buy B&W, they stuck a penis on top of there speakers. I did listen to the 700's tho, they sound pretty good. I also stopped at the ABT, demo'd ML60XT and 60XTI. They sound ok. I did not have a WOW until I stopped at Simply Stereo and sat down to hear the Paradigm 7F. WOW WOW WOW, those are the ones. And there on sale, only $17,000.00 a pair.
have you had an opportunity to listen to any of the electrostatic Martin Logans ? I know your listening space is not presently configured to use them but if you changed things around ............

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Amp=stereo
input sensitivity=1.4
crossover=no
Multi EQ=flat
Dynamic EQ=on
level 0
Dynamic volume=medium
Thanks for all the help.
Curious, what do you like about Dynamic volume? The others sound fine. What do you use for gain on the Crown?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis