I think my pioneer vsx-819h receiver is dying

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I took a look at the 660 on Amazon, does indicate new. Sometimes that's the best way to get an avr, wait until newer models come out and get a slightly older one being cleared out.

Personally I just prefer having at least a full set of pre-outs on an avr, and a decent eq setup, but they charge a premium for that these days. For basic setups the 660H is probably fine.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Isn’t that a very expensive brand?
OP, Quote: "I would not be opposed to a receiver that had a much more elegant info display on the front".

Yes it isn't cheap, he stated he would not be opposed to a unit with a elegant display. It is only 7 channels which would be all I'd need. 100 X 7 rms @ 8 Ohm load continuously. I came very close to getting that Rotel 1580 myself. But I'm saving up for a Sony Braiva 65 A95L OLED soo..

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
OP, Quote: "I would not be opposed to a receiver that had a much more elegant info display on the front".

Yes it isn't cheap, he stated he would not be opposed to a unit with a elegant display. It is only 7 channels which would be all I'd need. 100 X 7 rms @ 8 Ohm load continuously. I came very close to getting that Rotel 1580 myself. But I'm saving up for a Sony Braiva 65 A95L OLED soo..
Rotel is just overpriced compared to bigger players....they just don't have the economies of scale nor do they offer anything of importance outside of typical major players' feature sets.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Yeah that rotel link was posted a few days ago, and my exact reaction to the price was “Yikes!” That is no where near my budget, it that’s pretty clear from all my posts. $350 max here. I would love a nice display but I will be doing without that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yeah that rotel link was posted a few days ago, and my exact reaction to the price was “Yikes!” That is no where near my budget, it that’s pretty clear from all my posts. $350 max here. I would love a nice display but I will be doing without that.
I think you should stick to a brand with a reasonable reputation like Denon. I think you should make eARC a must. Whether it is 75 or 100 watts is essentially irrelevant. It would be nice to have pre-outs, as that would allow you to add power amps as funds permit. However that would likely blow your budget.
Receivers are complicated and so problems can occur. So longevity is impossible to predict. Just for one reason the manufacturer does not make the components.
One thing I do know is that power kills. So playing at sensible moderate volumes and leaving plenty of space for ventilation will tend to longer life.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Your options will be severely limited at that price point as has been mentioned for a new unit. If only running 2.1 and have no need for network features, take a look at the Pioneer VSX-535. You can get it new and on sale for below $350.00. If it sucks, return it. If $350.00 is the budget ceiling, stop f#%king around with higher priced new units or refurbs.

Don’t cram any new unit in a cabinet. Leave it out in the open and use a sensible crossover so the sub handles the low end and any new unit should last awhile unless it’s a lemon out of the box.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, if only 2.1, just use an optical cable from the TV to any new receiver especially if the TV supports ARC but not eARC. It’s been nearly a month and five pages of this thread. Just pick a new unit in your price range and get it. Nobody around here will have any experience with a new unit in that price range anyway so don’t worry about it.

Last edited:
isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Just pick a new unit in your price range and get it. Nobody around here will have any experience with a new unit in that price range anyway so don’t worry about it.
Amen....you would think this thread is about a wedding planning. :)
Of course, it would have been 543 pages on AVS !!
(I would take a cheap Pioneer over a cheap Denon too)

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Well you did state you'd like a Really nice OSD. "Yikes" lol. Was really trying to bring Things back more into perspective according to your budget so basically it was Pun Intended. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been thinking about this, and your budget is actually totally unrealistic.

Your current receiver in 2009 cost $299.00 at that time. I have researched for inflation and that receiver would now cost $425.00 in today's money.

Receivers are now more complex and HDCP and Audyssey licencing fees have increased. So replacing like with like is now, this is what I reckon is replacing like with like to get comparable quality now.

I have said many time here that buying junk are the most expensive purchases you ever make.

What I have suggested above is essentially replacing like with like allowing for both inflation and current practice.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally if I am buying a cheapass AVR, I would get the cheapest Yamaha AVR with MusicCast.

You get what you pay for. Can’t expect nice Pretty OSD, LCD, high power, or any fancy features like Audyssey XT32, etc.

But I will say this. Yamaha’s MusicCast is second to NONE in terms of what it does - among the BEST music streaming, the BEST WiFi remote control app there is. I would put MusicCast up with any standalone streamer in terms of what it does for me in music streaming and WiFi app streaming and WiFi remote.

Yamaha put big bucks into MusicCast and the benefits trickle down to even the cheapest Yamaha’s that come with MusicCast.

I don’t think there is a streaming app in a $25,000 AVP/AVR from Trinnov or anyone else that can match MusicCast.

Last edited:
Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
@AcuDefTechGuy That TSR-Yamaha 7710 I picked on A4L for 309 bucks back in 2015 still going strong my grandson is using it now. He uses it with his PS5 set-up. In a 5.1.

Last edited:
ban25

ban25

Audioholic
Personally if I am buying a cheapass AVR, I would get the cheapest Yamaha AVR with MusicCast.

You get what you pay for. Can’t expect nice Pretty OSD, LCD, high power, or any fancy features like Audyssey XT32, etc.

But I will say this. Yamaha’s MusicCast is second to NONE in terms of what it does - among the BEST music streaming, the BEST WiFi remote control app there is. I would put MusicCast up with any standalone streamer in terms of what it does for me in music streaming and WiFi app streaming and WiFi remote.

Yamaha put big bucks into MusicCast and the benefits trickle down to even the cheapest Yamaha’s that come with MusicCast.

I don’t think there is a streaming app in a $25,000 AVP/AVR from Trinnov or anyone else that can match MusicCast.
Trinnov is Roon Ready, which frankly crushes MusicCast like an egg. But for $300 beggars can't be choosers and I agree, he should buy the cheapest Yamaha, Denon or whatever can be found at that price.

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
Trinnov is Roon Ready, which frankly crushes MusicCast like an egg. But for $300 beggars can't be choosers and I agree, he should buy the cheapest Yamaha, Denon or whatever can be found at that price.
True, but price! :oops: One man's garbage is another man's treasure.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Some people think MusicCast crushes Roon like a bug. So I guess everyone has their own opinion about what destroys or annihilates what.

However, I am not sure if Roon Ready vs MusicCast is apples to apples.

MusicCast isn’t just about network streaming music. MusicCast is also an awesome WiFi Remote Control App that can control your AVR/AVP even when you don’t have Internet - it can do it by just local network only.

Can you use the Roon Ready app to flawlessly WiFi Remote Control your Trinnov AVP (like a Universal Remote Control) and stream music from your home network or phone 100% of the time even without internet?

Is Roon service free or do you have to pay a subscription? MusicCast is 100% free on all Yamaha that has MusicCast.

I’ve heard people complain about Roon not working consistently for them at times with network issues. I’ve never had any network issues with MusicCast. As I’ve said, MusicCast has worked 100% for me even without internet.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis