I think my pioneer vsx-819h receiver is dying

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Ok, so let’s say I find a Sony, pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha receiver, all have very similar features/specs, and all are within $20 of each other. Would there be any benefits to one of those over the other? Sound quality? build quality? Or not really?

Also, as for watts per channel, I realize you can’t trust marketing speak from the companies as they fudge the truth. Example, my pioneer data sheet claims 110 watts per channel. Maybe this is true and maybe not. If another receiver, say a Denon, says 75 watts per channel or 90 watts per channel. Is this going to be very noticeably different and under powered compared to my pioneer? Is it smart to aim for a similar watt rating or does it matter?

One additional question, I have only owned pioneer. The on screen setup process isn’t difficult but also not very user friendly. Are any of the other brands listed better in this regard or are they all pretty much on par?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, so let’s say I find a Sony, pioneer, Denon, and Yamaha receiver, all have very similar features/specs, and all are within $20 of each other. Would there be any benefits to one of those over the other? Sound quality? build quality? Or not really?

Also, as for watts per channel, I realize you can’t trust marketing speak from the companies as they fudge the truth. Example, my pioneer data sheet claims 110 watts per channel. Maybe this is true and maybe not. If another receiver, say a Denon, says 75 watts per channel or 90 watts per channel. Is this going to be very noticeably different and under powered compared to my pioneer? Is it smart to aim for a similar watt rating or does it matter?

One additional question, I have only owned pioneer. The on screen setup process isn’t difficult but also not very user friendly. Are any of the other brands listed better in this regard or are they all pretty much on par?
Nope, pretty much just the flavor of setup/dsp if that matters to you. I personally like to have Audyssey XT32 and the editor app.....

Differences in the power you're citing aren't significant (takes a doubling of power to get 3dB more spl). If you need more power get an avr with a full set of pre-outs and get a significant power amp (at least 200wpc at 8 ohm IMO, preferably more).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
So we rented the new Godzilla x Kong new empire movie tonight and my kids were watching at a higher volume than we might watch other shows, and it happened three times within a 20 minute period. Seems like it might be more of an issue at higher volumes if that is possible? I just turned off the subwoofer and we will finish the movie and see if it happens again with the sub off. Will let you know. Not sure if it even really matters but I guess I just want to know if this will just get progressively worse, but also I would hate to shell out $300 for a new receiver to only still have this issue somehow. I hate being forced to spend money on something that doesn’t really give me any new functionality but rather just replaces the same functionality that prior to a couple of weeks ago worked fine. So frustrating.
There is no possible way that an active sub connected to an AVR is causing it to shut down. That is totally impossible.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Nope, pretty much just the flavor of setup/dsp if that matters to you. I personally like to have Audyssey XT32 and the editor app.....

Differences in the power you're citing aren't significant (takes a doubling of power to get 3dB more spl). If you need more power get an avr with a full set of pre-outs and get a significant power amp (at least 200wpc at 8 ohm IMO, preferably more).
I think in your case, build and quality are the most important consideration for you. After recent turmoil at Onkyo Integra I would definitely stay away from that. At the lower end of the market, Yamaha might be problematic also.

I think it comes down to Denon/Marantz or Sony pretty much. Likely in your price range Denon would likely be your safest bet.

Receivers are now very complicated and tend to be the most trouble prone parts of the system.

You can only cut corners so far, without risking reliability problems.

In your situation longevity of the unit is a major issue. Unfortunately this is the hardest aspect to assess.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
I think in your case, build and quality are the most important consideration for you. After recent turmoil at Onkyo Integra I would definitely stay away from that. At the lower end of the market, Yamaha might be problematic also.

I think it comes down to Denon/Marantz or Sony pretty much. Likely in your price range Denon would likely be your safest bet.

Receivers are now very complicated and tend to be the most trouble prone parts of the system.

You can only cut corners so far, without risking reliability problems.

In your situation longevity of the unit is a major issue. Unfortunately this is the hardest aspect to assess.
I appreciate this as well. I’ve been reading and watching reviews and I’m leaning toward DENON and specifically the AVR-S760H. A4L has it for $299

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I appreciate this as well. I’ve been reading and watching reviews and I’m leaning toward DENON and specifically the AVR-S760H. A4L has it for $299
A4L are a refurb outfit. So that is a risky buy, especially for you. If you are lucky it is an open box, if not you are buying a unit with an intermittent fault like yours has.

So you have to be prepared to lose your investment if you purchase from them.

In your situation you need to buy a new unit from a reliable seller, with full warranty.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
A4L are a refurb outfit. So that is a risky buy, especially for you. If you are lucky it is an open box, if not you are buying a unit with an intermittent fault like yours has.

So you have to be prepared to lose your investment if you purchase from them.

In your situation you need to buy a new unit from a reliable seller, with full warranty.
Ohh ok thanks for that. I didn’t see a notation about it being a refurb. Yes I don’t want that.

Ok will see what kind of new receiver deals I can find. Maybe the avr-s670h will go on sale soon. I saw a good price on it the other day, I think it was new and not refurb. On this note, does it do me any good spending a bit more on the s670h over say the s570bt ($229 on Amazon)? Or what about the s660h? Amazon has it for $299. Is there much difference in these three units? Which one is best bang for the buck?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ohh ok thanks for that. I didn’t see a notation about it being a refurb. Yes I don’t want that.

Ok will see what kind of new receiver deals I can find. Maybe the avr-s670h will go on sale soon. I saw a good price on it the other day, I think it was new and not refurb. On this note, does it do me any good spending a bit more on the s670h over say the s570bt ($229 on Amazon)? Or what about the s660h? Amazon has it for $299. Is there much difference in these three units? Which one is best bang for the buck?
Can't remember if it's been mentioned here but zkelectronics has a good web site for making direct comparisons between different brands and models.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A lot of people ask the same question.

D

DJ in TX

Audioholic
Can't remember if it's been mentioned here but zkelectronics has a good web site for making direct comparisons between different brands and models.
I don’t remember seeing this link but thank you, it is super helpful! Definitely easier to compare now! I’m thinking for me the DENON s670h is the right fit. I only have 2 bookshelves and a sub so no need for the Dolby atmos, unless I just find a crazy good deal.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to A4L having new vs factory refurbs, it's noted in red just underneath the add to cart box in red lettering "Item Condition - Denon Factory Refurbished". Mostly they have refurbished units vs new, but at times they have sold new too (I bought one after a couple of refurbs failed in the return period).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis