I need help to make speakers bright.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not sure it works that way!
Maybe @TLSGuy can comment.
I know I don't hear much above 14kHz anymore, but I don't feel any need to turn up those frequencies when listening to a speaker with a good solid tweeter like the Ultras or RAAL, etc!
I just can't imagine adding a pair of supertweeters to any speaker and still think it not bright enough. Then again, I've never listened to a supertweeter and am just assuming that they're made to pump out hf sound.

N

Nana A.

Junior Audioholic
Examples of source would be CD player, FM, etc. Where ever the audio signal comes from! If you listen on headphones, that by-passes the amplifier in your receiver and the speakers.
If the headphones sound good, you would know the problem is with either the amp or the speakers.
If the headphones sound similar to the speakers, then you would know the problem is either with the source or with the receiver before the amplifier.
If your source is a CD player, many have headphone outputs so you can plug into the CD player and that will determine if the problem is at the CD player or with the receiver.
Basically, we are using the headphones to test at different points along the signal chain to see where things go bad.
It is through Youtube ,Amazon music and flash drive.

N

Nana A.

Junior Audioholic
I did see “nana” listed (her?) age as 120yo. Just as a hunch there’s some hearing loss at work. Lol.
Ohh no i dont have a hearing problem because i really like how two of neighbors speakers sound but i havent get the chance to ask them what kind of equipment they have.

N

Nana A.

Junior Audioholic
Ohh no i dont have a hearing problem because i really like how two of neighbors speakers sound but i havent get the chance to ask them what kind of equipment they have.
Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol.

N

Nana A.

Junior Audioholic
It sounds like maybe you prefer the sound of horns? A brighter more forward aggressive type of speaker with usually an aggressive high end would be right up your alley

Something like Klipsch or JBL would be right up your alley I'd imagine you could try listening to them
I think so

N

Nana A.

Junior Audioholic
Thanks a lot for the help.You guys are really helpful.God bless you all.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just can't imagine adding a pair of supertweeters to any speaker and still think it not bright enough. Then again, I've never listened to a supertweeter and am just assuming that they're made to pump out hf sound.
It depends!
I looked at the product and as best I can tell, you only have -3dB adjustment for the volume (via a jumper on the back) of the supertweeter. I'm used to seeing speakers with sensitivities from 82 to 92 dB so a range of 3dB is not much compared to the 10dB range it would need to be truly balanced!
Also, I remember asking Dennis Murphy about the supertweeter on the Sony Core speakers and he said that was more about dispersion than extension - the smaller dome has wider dispersion than higher notes on teh larger dome.
But if they made this super tweeter for a reasonable price in the 60's and 70's, it would have been the hot ticket with the tweeters of that period!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Find out what speakers they have. The rest is not that important.
It is long odds that you receiver could be the problem, but it is a possibility and the fact that your neighbor's system sounds fine to you suggests it may be a possibility.
First check on something that was mentioned earlier.
Play your speakers at a moderate level, remove teh grills and put your ear at the tweeter to see if you hear anything coming from them. By your description of not getting enough treble no matter what, the tweeter may not be working.
If the tweeter makes little or no sound, look at where the speaker wires are connected. Do you see the metal pieces going from the lower to the upper terminals as shown in this image? If not, that is your problem.
If they are there, your speakers are likely damaged or defective in some way (it is strange for both to be)!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks a lot for the help.You guys are really helpful.God bless you all.
It's not about you!
We are all dysfunctionally obsessed with sound quality and thrive on "enabling" our addiction on others so we feel better about ourselves!o_O:D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's not about you!
We are all dysfunctionally obsessed with sound quality and thrive on "enabling" our addiction on others so we feel better about ourselves!o_O:D
I clicked "funny" but it's also true! We really do love watching folks learn and build awesome systems. I know I really enjoy mine and I put it all together with help from these guys.

If you like what you hear over at the neighbors you need to find out what speakers they have asap! That's where you're going to find the sound you're looking for is through the speakers, and you're fortunate enough to have heard some that you like. Find good ones that you like and you shouldn't have to add anything else to them outside of proper power and maybe some room eq.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's not about you!
Actually, at this point, I am hooked with "solving the mystery"!
The ML 40's may have less or more treble than a person's taste might prefer, but the ML 40 +10dB treble plus a super tweeter should have more than enough treble for anyone. I have to believe there is something more to it!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, at this point, I am hooked with "solving the mystery"!
The ML 40's may have less or more treble than a person's taste might prefer, but the ML 40 +10dB treble plus a super tweeter should have more than enough treble for anyone. I have to believe there is something more to it!
Aaaannnd we're right back to, "you sure you don't have a hearing problem..?". :p

Funky room acoustics and setup issues perhaps?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I honestly just think the op may prefer a brighter more forward balanced speaker I definetly think they should debut a few horn loaded speakers

The motions and other speakers with those type of tweeters are known for having a very detailed and very quick high end but it's very laid back and smooth with some people like and some don't

I believe in a review of Emotiva over on AVS comparing them to golden ears it was shown in measurements that golden ear actually puts in a boost in those tweeters at the end of the frequency response to give them an artificial sparkle or a little zing so to speak the Emotivas actually measured flatter in the high end

I like horns a lot I like these other types of speakers as well generally if a speaker measures well on and off axis I'm goimg to like it no matter how it's designed I just might like different speakers with different build for different readons

but a good horn will not be fatiguing at all if well designed they are very dynamic but one thing even with my JBL and Klipsch I've owned is they are not a laid back speaker horns are usually way more in your face not in a bad way type of speaker

Some people like that maybe the OP should trial some of these types of speakers

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes i am in the states.I have been adjusting but still thats why i went ahead to add the Aperion super tweeter. The level for the front speakers is + 3 now.The front treble treble is +10 and bass is +8.
Perhaps you have a hearing loss in the upper band? Super tweeters are not the way to go in reality.
Try to dial back on the bass. perhaps that is masking?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Then, that is the speakers you need to get. Simple. I think your eyes fooled you to get those speakers instead of how it sounds. ;)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis