I have a doubt to choose a subwoofer

C

carlos61162

Enthusiast
I have the budget of $ 500 to upgrade my audio system, I have a very good 12 inch velodyne, but I want to buy a new one. And I have 2 options. the first is to buy one and join it with my velodyne, and the second is to buy the subwoofer and discard the velodyne. Now, the 2 options to buy a subwoofer that I have in mind are these two.

Rythmik L12 sealed 18-100hz +/- 3db (servo subwoofer)
SVS PB12 vented 18-150hz +/- 3db

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Which Velodyne sub do you have? Is it sealed also?

I think a second sub that performs similarly to the one you have would be your best bet. 2 subs are always better than one when it comes to having a good response over a wider area.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might as well try to mix the Velodyne sub in to see what happens.

If movies or deep bass is a criterion, go for the SVS sub. The Rythmik's +/-3 dB window is a big stretch for that kind of sub. If this is just music, it probably won't make too much of a difference.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
While I'd prefer generally to use matched subs, I'd probably prefer two to one, depending on the room. What are the details of your room? What's causing the itch particularly? Upgraditis? Just $500 burning a hole in your pocket? :) You can get the Rythmik for $500?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
While I'd prefer generally to use matched subs, I'd probably prefer two to one, depending on the room. What are the details of your room? What's causing the itch particularly? Upgraditis? Just $500 burning a hole in your pocket? :) You can get the Rythmik for $500?
His 2 choices are one sealed and one ported. I'd go with whichever one matches the Velodyne the closest, yes?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
His 2 choices are one sealed and one ported. I'd go with whichever one matches the Velodyne the closest, yes?
Maybe a sub that can easily run in either mode such as the Monolith or Hsu VTF subs would be better.

C

carlos61162

Enthusiast
ok, my velodyne is a vented CHT12, and yes, the rythmik costs 559, so, it is about the 500 that I have, my room is about 16x14x8, but one of the four walls widens greatly and the roof tilts and it opens up a lot

C

carlos61162

Enthusiast
Could it be that since the velodyne is vented, will I need a ventd subwoofer too?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then the Rythmik LVF12 is just $40 more....and I thought Rythmik didn't include shipping but running a cart seems they do, except they penalize you $6.50 if you insist on a signature delivery....

C

carlos61162

Enthusiast
So the best option is to join the velodyne with the Rythmik L12?

C

carlos61162

Enthusiast
The problem is that one is vented, the other is sealed, I will not have problems with that?

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Also, I’d consider the HSU VTF 2 mk 5 at that price point. $600 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
A few things I missed

I wouldn’t mix the two different subs, but some have done so to varying lengths of success; but again, not my advice. That Rythmik spec is a stretch, not buying it, but I could be wrong. If your Velodyne is ported I definitely would pass on the sealed Rythmik.

I’d somehow steal an extra $100 to get that HSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis