I Don’t Understand This Forum...

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Phase2
I agree with your entire post. I'm in the same frame of mind. But, since you asked, the last time somebody with several hundred thousand dollars worth of speakers offered to show them off, I thought of this morning. Not an exact parallel, but close enough.
Paul McGowan of PS Audio built a helluva music room for a muliti hundred thousand dollar set of speakers. He's made a set of videos on the build and the finished product. He plays Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to demo the finished room. He's my kind of guy for musical tastes.
Anyway, the point of me writing all this jibberish is that he sources his digital music through a humble Mac Mini just like I do. A guy who can, and has, spent a fortune on audio gear ( a real freakin fortune) chose a humble Mac Mini just like mine. He has other digital sources too and he has one of those super high end star trek looking turntables for vinyl so its not an exclusive thing.

But a guy who can spend anything he wants made the same choice as me in my little music room. I'm very happy with that . Oh, and BTW, Paul has an open invitation to come to Boulder and listen to his setup. He is in the audio business so his agenda isn't entirely platonic.

Enjoyed your post
Boulder Colorado huh? You think with the higher elevation from sea level that since the air is thinner that sound waves travel faster? Joke, One day I really would like to see and hear those 6f+ tall speakers that look like a hour glass, just to see those driver diaphragms if that's the correct terminology move. They are hand built. I watched a video once but can't remember the manufacturer all the name speaker brand that is.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Boulder Colorado huh? You think with the higher elevation from sea level that since the air is thinner that sound waves travel faster? Joke, One day I really would like to see and hear those 6f+ tall speakers that look like a hour glass, just to see those driver diaphragms if that's the correct terminology move. They are hand built. I watched a video once but can't remember the manufacturer all the name speaker brand that is.
MBL speakers?

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
If you make anything an put a really high price on it, rich people will buy it just so they can tell their rich friends they have one doesn't matter if its crap.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, but Paul probably has a superior power cord and interconnects compared to you :) LOL
He does mention in his recent video about the Mac Mini that he is using a fairly standard, no frills, not expensive USB cable to his DAC from the Mac Mini. It only cost $400 for the USB cable. It even had a brand name. So, yeah, you're right. He didn't elaborate on the power cords but in the build video for his room, the power feed and the layout for A/C power is pretty extraordinary. It has to be. He is powering a ton of amp and speaker.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have seen a set of those here in Phoenix at a high end audio place. The kind of place where they only do audio consulting and they stay in business by placing just one or two of those types of systems a year. It was the first time I had the chance to hear something like that . I was not at all sure what to expect. I was actually blown away. Totally, absolutely, blown away. If you have a chance to see and hear something like that on a regular basis it would totally ruin you for the stuff that mere mortals listen to. Thankfully, nobody has the coin to have those just hanging around. And once installed in a home, well, you gotta get passed the front door with a better excuse that your Uber is here.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He does mention in his recent video about the Mac Mini that he is using a fairly standard, no frills, not expensive USB cable to his DAC from the Mac Mini. It only cost $400 for the USB cable. It even had a brand name. So, yeah, you're right. He didn't elaborate on the power cords but in the build video for his room, the power feed and the layout for A/C power is pretty extraordinary. It has to be. He is powering a ton of amp and speaker.
Yeah he sells some power generator thing too. I fondly think of them as BS Audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis