I Don’t Understand This Forum...

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
B

Because I just like all things audio just because it doesn't measure well or just because I'd never buy it doesn't mean I can't enjoy getting to know about it. Or getting a kick out of people getting excited about it.

But I also appreciate people with knowledge like yourself that keep things in perspective and help me make informed decisions

But still there's nothing wrong with getting a kick out of seeing expensive gear. Or getting to know the people a little that are enjoying it.

That's just me I'm pretty laid back by nature and just don't get worked up about stuff

But I do agree with your perspective on needing to make sure that no matter how nice the product it needs to meet established criteria that research has found yields promising results for our passion.

But still ya can't blame me for thinking some of that expensive stuff looks pretty cool.
Lol. Nothing wrong with window looking :D
Laid back, you must be from California:)

Nothing wrong with being happy for others. Anyway, I'm not knowledgeable at all, I come here to learn from more knowledgeable people.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Nothing wrong with being happy for others. Anyway, I'm not knowledgeable at all, I come here to learn from more knowledgeable people.
The way I look at it is if you have the money to match the budget there's nothing wrong with going for the more expensive gear whether it measures better or not. Most of what we talk about when it comes to stuff like that I think is pretty much inaudible. Better materials, attention to detail, ergonomics and overall looks does matter tho. The message I think most of us (at least I do) try to get across is go ahead and get what makes you happy, but understand what you're paying for. By the same token, I have to admit I can be known to take a little offense when someone comes on here and craps all over what I can afford on the assumption that I don't know what good sound is or have inferior hearing because there's no way that stuff can compete.

If I had the dough you can bet I'd have the gear to go with it. I personally love the way McIntosh gear looks and would proudly display it if I had it, or any other high end gear.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd give you a dumb rating, Alex, but you do make me laugh. You have the sense of humor of a middle-schooler.
There was a point there! :D

Seriously, if you like something you can afford ... why not?

Why do you admire people that own expensive equipment that you can't afford
Because they figured out how to make a sh!t-ton more money than me.

I can be known to take a little offense when someone comes on here and craps all over what I can afford
Those people never stick around. Some manners do seem to be required ... unless you're a Mark. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So has he
I still remember that line about love being something you felt for somebody that made your insecurities go away.

... not gonna watch the clip but I recall liking Gordon in a platonic sort of way.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
We have to remember this is the internet, and unless we as members of this forum have actually met someone in-person or by photo or over a phone conversation. I've actually spoke with Andrew, AudioRX. ADTG. Even seen photos of him that he sent covered up with a hat, mask over his face sunglasses to fight a nest of wasps that infested his house. Lol. Dude look like a Ninja warrior.. lolo. Anyways my point is I'm sure just like any other forum, or website there are lots of fake profiles. Not saying the OP is one. Now I haven't read every post on this Thread. Guess what I'm trying to convey, take posts on here with caution or grain of salt.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One reason and one reason only. $$$. If I had the money you can bet I'd have a pair of PB16 Ultras up there! I'm very happy with the VTF 3 MK5's tho. They're legit good subs.

It's funny, I watched gene's video not too long ago on sub placement and thought the same thing. However, when I'm getting measurements like this.

View attachment 30594View attachment 30596

I'm not gonna sweat it.
Man that's some nice measurements how flat do they extend down to? It looks like pretty far down.

I'm just curious is all but that's a great measurement bro you did an excellent job getting them set up well

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Irv,
I have spent most of my life on a very tight budget for extras like audio so I get the value orientation. I also don't advocate expensive equipment, but, love the fact that it exists. I will probably not invest in it simply because I have made it this far without it and I really, really enjoy what I have. But, knowing that really expensive stuff exists makes me happy just to know "I could".

So, you think Gene leans towards objectivity? There's the understatement of the day. I joined the AH, and I keep coming back, because it is based in science and measurement not fluff n stuff. Everyone makes choices based on personal preference and some emotional nonsense. But, those choices can still be well informed and backed up beforehand with good science and measurement. That's what makes this place work.

I read the original post, a marathon post, and think the same thing. That post was a provocative post pretty much designed to get a negative response. The Ah brethren didn't respond in much of a negative fashion however and I thought did a pretty nice job of keeping the thread out of the mud. I must say I don't grasp fully why the OP went on that bit of a rant, but, I liked the general level of the AH responses. Anytime somebody comes in boasting and braggin about spending a lot of money, it kinda turns me sour.

@Pogre , so you're an SVS fanboy? Who Knew ? Ha ! You got 13 feet of awesomeness in your living room.
If I had 13 feet of awesomeness, I would be a fanboy too! Oh wait, I am a fanboy. A Salk fanboy. I think the OP insulted those too as being internet kooks.
Just in case, here's 13 feet of SVS awesomeness NOT POSTED by an SVS fanboy. I'm a Salk fanboy.
View attachment 30590
Well I fall into your category with this hobby. I've worked. My butt off to get audio/video gear. People with the resources to afford the higher end stuff like to brag just as much as the one's who have middle to lower end gear. Seeking approval from a forum full of audio-nuts isn't going to win anyone's opinion over on what gear they buy no matter how little or how much was spent. I've been just as happy with bottom feeder stuff and higher end gear. Now there are the elite gear people. Talking wealthy people gear. When was the last time any members saw a pair of 200K speakers that a member purchased or posted up photos of their gear that anyone on this forum has actually seen or been to their home? Wealthy people with the resources to purchase a 500K setup, I don't believe would even post up..cause i feel they would be cautious that somebody would break in and steal it..lol

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief

Or from people who can Google or quote, or post up better specs,.. I'm somewhat lazy, so I come in here to cheat a little..lol:D. to get my learn on. But than does it really matter? When the end results is to enjoy the music in the first place whether it be on a $20,000 speaker system or Walmart $10 CD box.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Man that's some nice measurements how flat do they extend down to? It looks like pretty far down.

I'm just curious is all but that's a great measurement bro you did an excellent job getting them set up well
I'm +/- 3db down to about 15 or 16 hz. It took a lot of work and experimenting to get there. There's a 30 page thread floating around here somewhere where I chronicled everything. It was fun. It was frustrating. I laughed and I cried. In the end I'm pretty happy with the results.

When it starts cooling off a little and I can turn the hvac off again I'm considering blowing the dust off everything and try what Gene is doing. Get some dsp on the bass sections of my towers along with the subs. I haven't done it yet because after all the work I put into it and got things sounding good I was kinda burnt out on all the measuring and tweaking so I just left it. To achieve that I had to set my crossovers pretty high (120 hz) and would like to drop that down a little more.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
On BTW, Gene and company are not a fans of your sub placement.
Those are my subs!
I think he was referring to bukks near field sub.
Well, he quoted Buck's post with the pic of my system so...
I think he was and thought buck posted an image of his own system.
hmmm, to sum this up, I'm not sure who was not a fan of which sub setup. Not clear to me at all. I would actually be flattered if Gene had any idea of what my humble little music room is setup like.
Let's comment on both aspects.
IF its Pogres 13 feet of awesomeness somebody doesn't like, well, they should withhold their judgement until they listen to it. @Pogre spent a fair amount of time and lugging subs around to get his room response flat and free from sub bumps. Plus, the whole thing sounds friggin' awesome. If somebody wants to poke at a flaw let's make sure its a legitimate flaw. Some classic sub placement model might be ignored here, but, good sound isn't.

IF its my own nearfield sub placement that somebody doesn't like, well, that dislike came out of a clear blue sky since nowhere in this thread are we talking about my stuff. But, just like in Pogres case, I spent a lot of freakin' time draggin' subs around the room looking for that just right place to put it. In a 10x10x10 cube, there are no "great choices" or "classic layouts" that will give you anything but bad sound. Experimentation and moving things by hand until the soup tastes just right is the only way to make a nearfield setup sing. I have it pegged to the best of my ability.

Anybody that actually wants to come out to the desert and listen to my sorely misplaced sub is welcome to do so. So far, @Pogre has made the trek and I think he can speak for himself whether my sub is misplaced or not. I love where its at.

And if we have this whole thing misconstrued and someone doesn't like somebody ELSES sub placement, I apologize for taking up valuable forum posting space. I would be pretty impressed if @gene made any comment at all about my little nearfield room. Especially if he wanted to come visit it and hear it for himself. That would be a hoot.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
When was the last time any members saw a pair of 200K speakers that a member purchased or posted up photos of their gear that anyone on this forum has actually seen or been to their home? Wealthy people with the resources to purchase a 500K setup,
Phase2
I agree with your entire post. I'm in the same frame of mind. But, since you asked, the last time somebody with several hundred thousand dollars worth of speakers offered to show them off, I thought of this morning. Not an exact parallel, but close enough.
Paul McGowan of PS Audio built a helluva music room for a muliti hundred thousand dollar set of speakers. He's made a set of videos on the build and the finished product. He plays Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to demo the finished room. He's my kind of guy for musical tastes.
Anyway, the point of me writing all this jibberish is that he sources his digital music through a humble Mac Mini just like I do. A guy who can, and has, spent a fortune on audio gear ( a real freakin fortune) chose a humble Mac Mini just like mine. He has other digital sources too and he has one of those super high end star trek looking turntables for vinyl so its not an exclusive thing.

But a guy who can spend anything he wants made the same choice as me in my little music room. I'm very happy with that . Oh, and BTW, Paul has an open invitation to come to Boulder and listen to his setup. He is in the audio business so his agenda isn't entirely platonic.

Enjoyed your post

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anybody that actually wants to come out to the desert and listen to my sorely misplaced sub is welcome to do so. So far, @Pogre has made the trek and I think he can speak for himself whether my sub is misplaced or not. I love where its at.

And if we have this whole thing misconstrued and someone doesn't like somebody ELSES sub placement, I apologize for taking up valuable forum posting space. I would be pretty impressed if @gene made any comment at all about my little nearfield room. Especially if he wanted to come visit it and hear it for himself. That would be a hoot.
You're the reason I've considered making one of mine nearfield.

When I sat down and listened I said "I know you have a sub in here somewhere...". I couldn't locate where it was tho. It was until Buck showed me that it was right against the back of my chair that I knew where it was. That sold me. It wasn't like sitting in a vibrating chair or muffled. Tight, clean and articulate. And that was with a budget sub! I'll bet your new one makes you love your system even more now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
hmmm, to sum this up, I'm not sure who was not a fan of which sub setup. Not clear to me at all. I would actually be flattered if Gene had any idea of what my humble little music room is setup like.
Let's comment on both aspects.
IF its Pogres 13 feet of awesomeness somebody doesn't like, well, they should withhold their judgement until they listen to it. @Pogre spent a fair amount of time and lugging subs around to get his room response flat and free from sub bumps. Plus, the whole thing sounds friggin' awesome. If somebody wants to poke at a flaw let's make sure its a legitimate flaw. Some classic sub placement model might be ignored here, but, good sound isn't.

IF its my own nearfield sub placement that somebody doesn't like, well, that dislike came out of a clear blue sky since nowhere in this thread are we talking about my stuff. But, just like in Pogres case, I spent a lot of freakin' time draggin' subs around the room looking for that just right place to put it. In a 10x10x10 cube, there are no "great choices" or "classic layouts" that will give you anything but bad sound. Experimentation and moving things by hand until the soup tastes just right is the only way to make a nearfield setup sing. I have it pegged to the best of my ability.

Near-field placement can be fine. I don't think that Gene or anyone else here discourages it. They generally advocate corner placement for those who have no way to optimize placement vie measurements, but measurements should serve as the guide to placement above all else. There are rules of thumb in placement, and one can follow guidelines by fellows like Tod Welti or Earl Geddes, but room acoustics are really just chaos until get in there and start experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. The spot in my room that nets the flattest response is actually right behind my seat, and that is the primary placement for subs for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Phase2
I agree with your entire post. I'm in the same frame of mind. But, since you asked, the last time somebody with several hundred thousand dollars worth of speakers offered to show them off, I thought of this morning. Not an exact parallel, but close enough.
Paul McGowan of PS Audio built a helluva music room for a muliti hundred thousand dollar set of speakers. He's made a set of videos on the build and the finished product. He plays Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon to demo the finished room. He's my kind of guy for musical tastes.
Anyway, the point of me writing all this jibberish is that he sources his digital music through a humble Mac Mini just like I do. A guy who can, and has, spent a fortune on audio gear ( a real freakin fortune) chose a humble Mac Mini just like mine. He has other digital sources too and he has one of those super high end star trek looking turntables for vinyl so its not an exclusive thing.

But a guy who can spend anything he wants made the same choice as me in my little music room. I'm very happy with that . Oh, and BTW, Paul has an open invitation to come to Boulder and listen to his setup. He is in the audio business so his agenda isn't entirely platonic.

Enjoyed your post
Yeah, but Paul probably has a superior power cord and interconnects compared to you :) LOL

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm +/- 3db down to about 15 or 16 hz. It took a lot of work and experimenting to get there. There's a 30 page thread floating around here somewhere where I chronicled everything. It was fun. It was frustrating. I laughed and I cried. In the end I'm pretty happy with the results.
Having been "tuned in" on that thread as it was happening, I had a little chuckle when Auditor55 said you were lucky (as if you had just put them there to start with and volia, it was perfect!). You definitely put serious effort into getting things right, and in my book you earned that fine response!
I also wonder where your end result sits among more expensive systems which did not benefit from proper setup! I'm betting that the time you put in paid fairly well in that sense!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis