I am addicted to Symphonic Metal

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
While I'm totally unfamiliar with this music, I wouldn't use that example! Power chords are just parallel fifths, right? If so, that is probably the most known thing of all to avoid with CPP writing. I suppose you might find more parallel fifths with quintal music, like maybe barber shop quartets, and I guess minimalist music. Ok, I guess in the reeeeallly olden days there was more usage of P5s.

In classical music, when the same chord structure/form is moved in parallel, it is by far most of the time done in 3rd and 6ths. If a triad, it's done in the first inversion (ex. CEG becomes EGC), which is also called a 6-3 chord. Yep, it comprises of a 3rd and 6th on top of the E; no more parallel fifth.

Even putting theory aside, I have the impression that the classical musicians who I have met who really loved rock music favored more complex riffs, ostinatos, fills, really just about anything that is more creative as background than a power chord.

Eh, I just wanted to chime in on that. Of the videos posted, if anyone has an opinion on which is the most classical of the bunch, I'd be interested in knowing.
Yeah yeah yeah Get all technical on me!:D

Remember that I said "rocking back and forth". I don't want to imply that it's the same as more complex playing. Far from it. :)

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I just think the two styles complement each other very well. Maybe because they are so different. I do know that I hate jazz or pop when they mix in classical.

I mean honestly does this kick a$$ or what? Did I mention Sharon is HOT, HOT, HOT? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
You bastard, I just broke into the post office and took your package back:p

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I don't know that this really qualifies for metal...but it's a pretty damn cool song I keep playing over and over...and maybe she's hot too?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know if you would call Apocalyptica's music "symphonic metal", but I love it! But then, I'm a sucker for the cello...:D

I just happened upon this thread - must check out some of the groups mentioned.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I don't know if you would call Apocalyptica's music "symphonic metal", but I love it! But then, I'm a sucker for the cello...:D

I just happened upon this thread - must check out some of the groups mentioned.
A lot of their stuff is Symphonic Metal. I don't like them when they have some dude singing though. I like their instrumental stuff a lot better.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
What the heck? This thread is missing one of the classic symphonic metal bands, Kamelot!

Also, I would sincerely recommend Turisas as well.

Freakin love this song so much:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Speaking of Nightwish. The ex lead Tarja Turunen is doing some awesome solo stuff and sticking to her roots and adding a more classical sound too. Great stuff. She has a 3 octave vocal range. Pretty amazing.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Also found this band too. I like them.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Hell Yeah! Check this one out BSA:D

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I don't think this band was linked yet, they're worth a mention, Elis. Unfortunately their original singer died unexpectedly several years back and left some pretty big shoes to fill...

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Dang, Jeff. This thread is so cool it just brought me out of retirement! :D

And being really old and into this stuff for many :)o) years, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the classic, rock-opera innovators such as The Who, Meatloaf, the Doors, and the Jefferson Starship. It's not 'metal', and it may not be what you're looking for...but it's fun. Here is a link to one of my favorite classics. Much good cheer to you! RJ

Oh yeah, and just for the hell of it, here is some totally-fun-classical gas-pseudo-rock! ;) I hope it's not too OT, but he's one of my favorite musicians. :eek:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Dang, Jeff. This thread is so cool it just brought me out of retirement! :D

And being really old and into this stuff for many :)o) years, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the classic, rock-opera innovators such as The Who, Meatloaf, the Doors, and the Jefferson Starship. It's not 'metal', and it may not be what you're looking for...but it's fun. Here is a link to one of my favorite classics. Much good cheer to you! RJ

Oh yeah, and just for the hell of it, here is some totally-fun-classical gas-pseudo-rock! ;) I hope it's not too OT, but he's one of my favorite musicians. :eek:
Thanks that guy on the guitar is certainly talented, but yeah far from metal. The others you mention I have never been much of a fan of. I can't stand the Who actually. I did see Meatloaf once live in the 90's. It was ok, but again not much of a fan and his voice grates on me after about two songs. I don't think the Symphonic metal bands take anything from older bands like you mentioned. Not musically anyway. I think it is really its own thing, and has roots that are actually much newer. Death metal(which I hate) and goth metal are really the roots. Thankfully, it took the best of those, added classical and vocal talent with the heavy metal sound and improved upon both in my opinion. However, that's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks that guy on the guitar is certainly talented, but yeah far from metal. The others you mention I have never been much of a fan of. I can't stand the Who actually. I did see Meatloaf once live in the 90's. It was ok, but again not much of a fan and his voice grates on me after about two songs. I don't think the Symphonic metal bands take anything from older bands like you mentioned. Not musically anyway. I think it is really its own thing, and has roots that are actually much newer. Death metal(which I hate) and goth metal are really the roots. Thankfully, it took the best of those, added classical and vocal talent with the heavy metal sound and improved upon both in my opinion. However, that's just my opinion :)
Thanks for the education, Jeff. When I see references to any kind of rock, metal included, it's roots and relationships run pretty deep and wide for me. Yeah, Meatloaf makes me look in the mirror and say..."damn, it could be a LOT worse". :D And he's a little over the top, but I like his gravelly voice.

I'm enjoying all the links guys are putting in here. Lots of new tunes for me to explore.

Now, to duck back into the shadows....shhhhhhhh........

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
This is one of my personal favorite bands, more goth than symphonic metal, they do a blend of male/female vocals and have heavier sound rather than metal, kind of a cross between Type O Negative (RIP Pete) and early Lacuna Coil.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I know I am grave digging, but a recent ABBA thread reminded me that Metalheads are still among (@Pogre) us and some may take a liking to melodic metal bands mentioned here.

p.s: Has it been 10 years since I posted in this thread last time. Damn, time flies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis