I am addicted to Symphonic Metal

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Not Metal but Christian rock, however I really like this group too. Lot of the Christian rock/metal groups are really very good. I do hate music videos though.

Anyone noticing the trend here? ;)
They're actually on my long list of bands to get a cd of eventually.

Hm, I just ran across this band about 10 minutes ago, but they seem pretty promising from what I've found so far. You can double your pleasure here...

Last edited by a moderator:
A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I like eluveitie but I wouldn't say most of their songs are like that :D
True, but I was trying to stick more to the songs that fit the theme of the thread. Of course if someone bought their album based on the ones I posted they could be in for a rude awakening.

Although they are one of the few bands I can actually stand the growling vocals in.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Not sure either what he meant exactly by complicated, but that is good stuff too.

Complicated like Fusion or Jazz or more classical involved?

More complicated than just power cords. That's cool but I'm a Rush / Dream Theater / Satriani kind of guy. I like my classical more on the Beethoven side of the street. It's probably the operatic quality that's throwing me. I'm probably barking up the wrong street and mixing up my classicals...

Complicated like ELP doing Aaron Copland's Hoedown:

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
More complicated than just power cords. That's cool but I'm a Rush / Dream Theater / Satriani kind of guy. I like my classical more on the Beethoven side of the street. It's probably the operatic quality that's throwing me. I'm probably barking up the wrong street and mixing up my classicals...

Complicated like ELP doing Aaron Copland's Hoedown:
You are correct for the most part. Most of these bands would be classified as Power Metal. There aren't any prog rock type bands that I am aware of off hand that use female singers. I could make some recommendations more along the lines of DT, etc, but may not fall in line with this thread.

Maybe the below is more what you're interested in. Transiberian Orchestra has some pretty good non Christmas stuff, and occasionally use female singers, though mostly sung by men 80% of the time. I couldn't find a great example easily, so just linked the below as an example (you mentioned Beethoven)...

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I am getting a little off the Metal track, but I like Halestorm too:D

Leaves Eyes has some stuff I heard that I liked, and I really like a lot of Sirenia's stuff.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks, everyone. I was just curious. Some of this stuff sound pretty interesting. I have to soak on it.:cool:

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks all of yiu. This is definately a music genre I'm going to chase down with zeal. Evanescence and Lacuna Coil are the closet thing I have.

Alex,JeffMac thanks for the links. I'll be chasing these ones down like a hellhound. ;) I have to purchase the CDs and or vinyl as I'm an album kind of guy. :)

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Thanks all of yiu. This is definately a music genre I'm going to chase down with zeal. Evanescence and Lacuna Coil are the closet thing I have.

Alex, thanks for the link. I'll be chasing this one down like a hellhound. ;)
Glad I could help:)

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
I am getting a little off the Metal track, but I like Halestorm too:D
I was going to mention them and another band after you brought up Fireflight, but I could not find the other band for the life of me. Finally found it- Hydrogyn. They sound pretty interesting, and have some covers of Back in Black and Rainbow in the Dark.

Getting back to symphonic metal, here's a band from Finland that consider themselves prog/goth. The debut album was pretty decent for a debut and shows promise. I guess their original singer left and has been recently replaced. Hm, their album is better than I remember, I can't decide which song to link...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's a good Therion tracks:

Next one should be Nordic Folk Metal and then Pirate Metal ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you like 'original' Nightwish of course check solo albums by Tarja. I liked the first the best, YMMV.
+1

Nightwish without Tarja = Epic Fail, in fact every time guy soloing it's a disaster every single time.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

When Doug mentioned ELP it also reminded me of Oxygen, by Jean Michel Jarre
I remember having this album in the late 70's. Can't say it exactly fits...

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Here's a good Therion tracks:
Wow, I have a few of their albums but haven't followed them too closely. I forgot about the concert they did with the full orchestra, that's pretty cool. I may need to get that one.

A

armaraas

Full Audioholic
Seriously, you think you're addicted? I've hardly gotten anything done today because all I'm doing is listening to music clips. Not enough time or money...

Before most if not all of the these bands, there was The Gathering. They've had some pretty unique sounds over the years. Not quite symphonic metal necessarily...

The only time I've ever had a neighbor come over and ask me to turn down my music was when I was listening to Lullacry. There was 20 feet between our homes at the time, and my system wasn't anything too special...

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan

When Doug mentioned ELP it also reminded me of Oxygen, by Jean Michel Jarre
I remember having this album in the late 70's. Can't say it exactly fits...
Duuuuuude!:D I thought I was being the stoner!!!:p

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Duuuuuude!:D I thought I was being the stoner!!!:p
JMJ rules, but hardly qualifies for symphonic metal :D
I love mostly his old stuff but some of new ones are not too bad ether:

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1gtwv"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/x1gtwv" width="480" height="295" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br />Jean michel jarre - teo and tea <i>by yafs1925</i>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Metal and Classical/Opera? Who would have thought the two would mix so well together? I guess Yngwie Malmsteen has known this for a long time though huh?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Metal and Classical/Opera? Who would have thought the two would mix so well together? I guess Yngwie Malmsteen has known this for a long time though huh?
I've had friends for years tell me I'm goofy for saying that metal power chords are very similar to a classical cellist or violinist just rocking back and forth... seems to me I'm being proved correct.:)

I almost posted Yngwie to explain my "complicated" comment.:cool:

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
My wife and I have seen TSO live twice and I think that is what really put the hook in me.

Little movie quote for those who caught it;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I've had friends for years tell me I'm goofy for saying that metal power chords are very similar to a classical cellist or violinist just rocking back and forth... seems to me I'm being proved correct.:)
While I'm totally unfamiliar with this music, I wouldn't use that example! Power chords are just parallel fifths, right? If so, that is probably the most known thing of all to avoid with CPP writing. I suppose you might find more parallel fifths with quintal music, like maybe barber shop quartets, and I guess minimalist music. Ok, I guess in the reeeeallly olden days there was more usage of P5s.

In classical music, when the same chord structure/form is moved in parallel, it is by far most of the time done in 3rd and 6ths. If a triad, it's done in the first inversion (ex. CEG becomes EGC), which is also called a 6-3 chord. Yep, it comprises of a 3rd and 6th on top of the E; no more parallel fifth.

Even putting theory aside, I have the impression that the classical musicians who I have met who really loved rock music favored more complex riffs, ostinatos, fills, really just about anything that is more creative as background than a power chord.

Eh, I just wanted to chime in on that. Of the videos posted, if anyone has an opinion on which is the most classical of the bunch, I'd be interested in knowing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis