Huge Dips in MultEQ app Graph

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hi Audioholics, I wanna know if my Calibration using this app has been done right. This thread was opened in regards to huge dips in multeq graph, which I'm finding little strange.
My setups is:

Fronts:
Elac B6.2 (Left,Right)
Elac C6.2 (Center)

Surrounds:
Boston Acoustics A23 (Surround Left, Surround Right)

Subwoofer:
Boston Acoustics ASW 250

AVR:
Denon AVR-X2300W (Made in Vietnam)

My App version is : 1.3.1
Below are my correction results:

Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-17.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-20.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-24.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-28.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-32.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-36.png
Screenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-17.pngScreenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-20.pngScreenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-24.pngScreenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-28.pngScreenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-32.pngScreenshot_2019-10-15-00-26-36.png

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The left side is before and the right side is after, or at least the intended target for after. Pretty typical stuff, tho every room is different so there's no real standard.

*Edit: Here's one of mine, fwiw.

Screenshot_2019-09-20-07-32-45.png

I took that dip out of there before I uploaded the calibration tho.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What you are seeing is the resonance of the room below the Schroeder Frequency... your room acts as a resonator under a certain point. Above that point is where the Frequency Response smooths out.
Please feel free to google and learn more about this. :) It’s an important part of making your room and it’s acoustics your friend. :D

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The left side is before and the right side is after, or at least the intended target for after. Pretty typical stuff, tho every room is different so there's no real standard.

*Edit: Here's one of mine, fwiw.

View attachment 31849

I took that dip out of there before I uploaded the calibration tho.

Just to add, pogre took out that dip by turning off the MRC in the app. That’s mid range compensation and you should definitely turn it off.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The 2KHz dip is Mid Range Compensation... Courtesy of the BBC. XP (thats the Mr Ick Face!)

Below ~250-280Hz in your graph, @Sachb , is where your room is acting as a resinator.

Which are you talking about?

You can turn MRC off using the Aud App.

You cannot turm off the Schroeder Frequency of your room. That... you have to use guile and Acoustics to make your friend! ;)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Audioholics, I wanna know if my Calibration using this app has been done right. This thread was opened in regards to huge dips in multeq graph, which I'm finding little strange.
My setups is:

Fronts:
Elac B6.2 (Left,Right)
Elac C6.2 (Center)

Surrounds:

Subwoofer:
Boston Acoustics ASW 250

AVR:

View attachment 31833View attachment 31834View attachment 31835View attachment 31836View attachment 31837View attachment 31838View attachment 31833View attachment 31834View attachment 31835View attachment 31836View attachment 31837View attachment 31838
Man that’s so cool wish I had bought a mic for this when I had the money so cool.
Do you dislike how it sounds adjust the speakers I wouldn’t just try on eq programs .

Ultimate bass lover !! si ht15 dvc.
Free the reptile aliens

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My setups is:

Fronts:
Elac B6.2 (Left,Right)
Elac C6.2 (Center)

Surrounds:

Subwoofer:
Boston Acoustics ASW 250

AVR:

View attachment 31833View attachment 31834View attachment 31835View attachment 31836View attachment 31837View attachment 31838View attachment 31833View attachment 31834View attachment 31835View attachment 31836View attachment 31837View attachment 31838
You can see why almost everyone suggested in your other thread that you should set the mains to "small" and crossover to 80 Hz or higher. They look worse in the bass region, but it could be partially due to Audyssey's attempt to integrate them with the subwoofer. The subwoofer one looks much more normal.

Overall, the graphs actually do look more normal than not, though you should be able to get flatter results if you try running auto set up again following instructions to the letter, pay more attention to the following:

- Point the mic straight to the ceiling and is 2-3 inches above the top and away from the back of your couch.
- Turn off your HVAC system, make sure the room is as quiet as possible, if during the chirps you hear noise from the outside such as road and air traffic, repeat when the room is quiet again.
- Do as many mic positions as practically possible, at 5 or 6, 8 would be better.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
You can see why almost everyone suggested in your other thread that you should set the mains to "small" and crossover to 80 Hz or higher. They look worse in the bass region, but it could be partially due to Audyssey's attempt to integrate them with the subwoofer. The subwoofer one looks much more normal.

Overall, the graphs actually do look more normal than not, though you should be able to get flatter results if you try running auto set up again following instructions to the letter, pay more attention to the following:

- Point the mic straight to the ceiling and is 2-3 inches above the top and away from the back of your couch.
- Turn off your HVAC system, make sure the room is as quiet as possible, if during the chirps you hear noise from the outside such as road and air traffic, repeat when the room is quiet again.
- Do as many mic positions as practically possible, at 5 or 6, 8 would be better.
I followed all the instructions you've posted above including 8 positions, but my couch is against the wall, for the last 7th and 8th position, I placed the MIC in front of 1st position (MLP) in both left and Right side.

I'm thinking of 2 possibilities for the Bass region to be low in Speakers:

i) My Denon X2300W is underpowered or isn't delivering the rated output of 95 watts @8 ohms. Elac's specification is 87 db @ 6 ohms.

ii) Elac Speakers are rated at 6 ohms, and my Denon AVR is set to 8 ohms, so the power isn't sent correctly due to this.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The impedance is fine. Leave your AVR set to 8ohms.
Your speakers each only require 1w to produce 87dB of SPL at 1 meter from the speaker. You should experiment with the online SPL calculator to see how much power you need for your speakers in your room.
In general, what I’m trying to say is that your last post is barking up the wrong tree. You are being presented with good advise. Choose to use it or don’t, that is up to you. Though we can tell you to go out and spend more money, that won’t necessarily fix anything if you don’t apply the lessons being shared. Fact is you don’t have to spend more money to improve your experience.
Learning and understanding about your room acoustics and how your speakers and the room interact will do a great deal of good.
Your AVR Is fine. Your speakers are fine. Your sub... well we covered that a little... but in the meantime, it’s fine. :p

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I followed all the instructions you've posted above including 8 positions, but my couch is against the wall, for the last 7th and 8th position, I placed the MIC in front of 1st position (MLP) in both left and Right side.

I'm thinking of 2 possibilities for the Bass region to be low in Speakers:

i) My Denon X2300W is underpowered or isn't delivering the rated output of 95 watts @8 ohms. Elac's specification is 87 db @ 6 ohms.

ii) Elac Speakers are rated at 6 ohms, and my Denon AVR is set to 8 ohms, so the power isn't sent correctly due to this.
Sorry, wrong on both counts..
Also, Audyssey doesn't discriminate regardless of how powerful your AVR is, it creates filters based on information collected by the mic. The level of the calibration tone (the chirps) is at around 71-75 dB at the most so unless you sit really far away, even a 10 Watt per channel AVR should present no issue to auto setup.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry, wrong on both counts..
Also, Audyssey doesn't discriminate regardless of how powerful your AVR is, it creates filters based on information collected by the mic. The level of the calibration tone (the chirps) is at around 71-75 dB at the most so unless you sit really far away, even a 10 Watt per channel AVR should present no issue to auto setup.
He said his couch is against the wall. Could Audyssey be over correcting for boomy wall modes?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
He said his couch is against the wall. Could Audyssey be over correcting for boomy wall modes?
I think that is possible, however I think he did the right thing by positioning the mic "forward" for L/R for the 7th and 8th positions. That's assuming the 7th and 8th positions are about 24 inches "forward" from the back wall.

Still, couch right up against the back wall is far from ideal, more the reasons for him to let the subwoofer play the deep bass.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I am of the understanding that the back wall tends to usually be a dead spot comparatively speaking... I am completely open to being wrong and would appreciate clarification from anybody more in the know. ;) If correct though, I'm thinking more nulls than boomy modes.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I am of the understanding that the back wall tends to usually be a dead spot comparatively speaking... I am completely open to being wrong and would appreciate clarification from anybody more in the know. ;) If correct though, I'm thinking more nulls than boomy modes.
Ime, walls are really boomy. It’s where the really long wavelengths turn back into the room and will tend to double up. Play some bassy stuff and go up next to a wall. Yuk...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis