lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
dnt know where to start
Willingness is often the biggest hurdle. Any woodworking experience? Tools? I take it from the subs you're asking about that appearance beyond a duratex type finish probably isn't needed? I started green with some basic tools and built my own boxes....if I can do it pretty much anyone can I think. You just don't pay yourself for the time....but probably not as expensive as a long drive to the US in that regard....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Willingness is often the biggest hurdle. Any woodworking experience? Tools? I take it from the subs you're asking about that appearance beyond a duratex type finish probably isn't needed? I started green with some basic tools and built my own boxes....if I can do it pretty much anyone can I think. You just don't pay yourself for the time....but probably not as expensive as a long drive to the US in that regard....
Hmmm I do have woodworking experience and have some saws. What plans did you use? I know Rhythmilk has some plans on their site.

I just don't want to do the research for buying the different kinds of hardware because it gets complicated (Since I don't know anything about the hardware specs). It would be nice if there is something that is already proven good and tells you how to build the box and what hardware to buy to the T.

I can play a bit with the finish..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't use plans so much when using a sealed box, it's about total volume of space in the box and the driver's T/S parameters as to what size that box should be. Ported boxes are a bit more involved but still generally are about what type of port/vent you're using (and the volume and airspeed specs of using them). Plenty of proven designs in various diy forums, including the diy subforum here. You can model you sub with software like winisd or bassbox pro etc. You can buy flatpack cnc-cut boxes for assembly perhaps (easier in the US I'm sure, parts-express.com bundles Denovo boxes with drivers, the same boxes and more are available on diysoundgroup.com). The diy subforum on avsforum or diyaudio has lots of good models for subs based on various drivers. You can buy various dsp/amp units to customize/power the system. Really a matter of time to invest more than anything, the tech itself is easy.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Since I plan on getting a US made sub, is it a big deal to swap the amp out when it breaks?

Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
I agree that DIY is a good potential option. Two full Marty's?, four to eight VBSS's. Would save a lot of money.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I am thinking now maybe the HSUs.... Do I really need 18s? Probably not but they are pretty cool. Funk is beautiful but just too much money... even in Canada. I got a quote for 2 HSUs for 2650USD shipped, duties, and taxes in. The only problem is service if I need it because there is none. I would have to ship it back at my expense.

Back to my question above though... if the amp in the sub fails... is it a big deal to replace it with another amp that I can get locally? I think the amp is only thing on the sub that will eventually die.... I guess I could also ask HSU to ship me an amp.

I am still entertaining the one JTR....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since I plan on getting a US made sub, is it a big deal to swap the amp out when it breaks?
Usually just a few screws holding it, disconnecting the wires is pretty easy, just use the right tools. Easiest if it's the same amp (hopefully it's still available by the time it craps out). Might even consider subs that use a separate rack-mount amp rather than a plate amp for increased reliability. The stock amp may have particular dsp employed but with something like a minidsp you could probably make any amp work. Much easier to ship an amp than a whole sub....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am thinking now maybe the HSUs.... Do I really need 18s? Probably not but they are pretty cool. Funk is beautiful but just too much money... even in Canada. I got a quote for 2 HSUs for 2650USD shipped, duties, and taxes in. The only problem is service if I need it because there is none. I would have to ship it back at my expense.

Back to my question above though... if the amp in the sub fails... is it a big deal to replace it with another amp that I can get locally? I think the amp is only thing on the sub that will eventually die.... I guess I could also ask HSU to ship me an amp.

You can use another amp, but with a variable tuning sub, you pretty much have to settle on a filter for the one tuning point that you want to use. In other words, you kind of lose the advantage of being able to change the tuning point at will. I suppose if you employ something like a MiniDSP or iNUke you can switch between saved settings to be able to use either tuning point at will.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

Being in Canada, you could get a pair of Dayton RSS Series 15" subs, either the Hi-Fi model for more serious music listening, or the HO model if the subs would be only used for movies. Solen.ca sells them at a decent price and would be able to help you out for cabinet construction. They probably even have plans for them as well. They also sell subwoofer amps. and everything attached to speaker building. As a matter of fact, Solen is one of the best crossover component manufacturers. They make inductors and capacitors. Some of the commercial speaker manufacturers use their products:

solen.ca

In my HT system, I am using three RSS390HF-4 subs as woofers in front channel cabinets with amazing results:

HT: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Being in Canada, you could get a pair of Dayton RSS Series 15" subs, either the Hi-Fi model for more serious music listening, or the HO model if the subs would be only used for movies. Solen.ca sells them at a decent price and would be able to help you out for cabinet construction. They probably even have plans for them as well. They also sell subwoofer amps. and everything attached to speaker building. As a matter of fact, Solen is one of the best crossover component manufacturers. They make inductors and capacitors. Some of the commercial speaker manufacturers use their products:

solen.ca

In my HT system, I am using three RSS390HF-4 subs as woofers in front channel cabinets with amazing results:

HT: https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/
I checked out the site you suggested and I found this:

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/subwoofers/rss460ho-4/

Can you recommend the best 18 incher for me? What amp would go nice with it? I also just emailed them with this question and I'll post what they say.

I am also not understanding something here... The following woofer says that it's power handling is 70 Watts? How is that? https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/woofers/18we4542t00/

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
You can use another amp, but with a variable tuning sub, you pretty much have to settle on a filter for the one tuning point that you want to use. In other words, you kind of lose the advantage of being able to change the tuning point at will. I suppose if you employ something like a MiniDSP or iNUke you can switch between saved settings to be able to use either tuning point at will.
I wonder what the learning curve is on that.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I checked out the site you suggested and I found this:

https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/subwoofers/rss460ho-4/

Can you recommend the best 18 incher for me? What amp would go nice with it? I also just emailed them with this question and I'll post what they say.

I am also not understanding something here... The following woofer says that it's power handling is 70 Watts? How is that? https://solen.ca/products/speakers/home-speakers/woofers/18we4542t00/
That woofer has only an 18 cm diameter which explains a power handling of 70 watts.

Among the best subs for a DIY project are as stated in my previous post, the Dayton brand of drivers are excellent products. If you prefer an 18 incher, the RSS460HO-4 is an excellent subwoofer and believe TLS Guy has been recommending them to audiophiles. However, if you intend to use the sub for serious music listening, I would think that the 15" RSS390HF-4A would perform more accurately, but I may be wrong.
What I would suggest are 2 RSS390HF-4 for accurate music reproduction, or the RSS390HO-4 drivers if their main purpose would be to listen to movie soundtracks.

Since I am only familiar with the RSS390HF-4A but have had no experience with the HO version in either the 15 inch and the 18 inch units, I believe @TLS Guy will be able to clarify the situation based on his experience and knowledge.

We should have an answer on this question in a short delay.

With regard to an amplifier to drive the sub(s), a Crown XLS series amp should do a satisfactory job. Several members have been using them with satisfaction. Depending on whether you will be driving one or two subs, the amp power could be chosen.

Last edited:
moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
That woofer has only an 18 cm diameter which explains a power handling of 70 watts.

Among the best subs for a DIY project are as stated in my previous post, the Dayton brand of drivers are excellent products. If you prefer an 18 incher, the RSS450HO-4 is an excellent subwoofer and believe TLS Guy has been recommending them to audiophiles. However, if you intend to use the sub for serious music listening, I would think that the 15" RSS390HF-4A would perform more accurately, but I may be wrong.
What I would suggest are 2 RSS390HF-4 for accurate music reproduction, or the RSS390HO-4 drivers if their main purpose would be to listen to movie soundtracks.

Since I am only familiar with the RSS390HF-4A but have had no experience with the HO version in either the 15 inch and the 18 inch units, I believe @TLS Guy will be able to clarify the situation based on his experience and knowledge.

We should have an answer on this question in a short delay.

With regard to an amplifier to drive the sub(s), a Crown XLS series amp should do a satisfactory job. Several members have been using them with satisfaction. Depending on whether you will be driving one or two subs, the amp power could be chosen.
Excellent thanks for the info... if the sub I posted is only rated for 70 watts then why would it be more than twice as expensive as the one you are suggesting?

did you mean the RSS460 and not the 450? I don't see the 450 on the site.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Excellent thanks for the info... if the sub I posted is only rated for 70 watts then why would it be more than twice as expensive as the one you are suggesting?
There could be several reasons for the difference in the price. For instance, the Dayton drivers are made in China on an American design. The Scan-Speak is a driver made in Denmark and is a flagship high-end driver. In addition, Scan-Speak does not mass produce like Dayton and the import charges are definitely more costly than that from China. Products from China let us benefit from economies of scale.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis