HSU Sub Decision....Need advice if it was your money!

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
I have a pretty firm $800 budget, and my wife would like to go with a smaller sub if at all possible.

The room is 4000 cu ft on a concrete slab, with carpet on top. It is a room that can be closed off from the rest of the basement, and the next floor up. It is an L-shaped room. TV/sub would be on the long wall, and the MLP is about 12' from that wall. Subwoofer can be corner loaded in the front left corner. Did a sub crawl with my existing BIC F12, and that was the best spot, with very few nulls near all of the listening positions (lucky me). That is pretty much the only place the sub can go, unless I did dual VTF2's, one in either side of the TV stand (for wife approval factor). I listen to movies at about max 80db, anything more than that is just way too loud for all of us in the family, and we usually keep it around 70-75db. No music will be played, as this is pure HT use. For reference the BIC F12 actually wasnt all that bad, but I do need more "punch" if that makes sense as I did feel the F12 was being pushed (wasnt super clean). The Sub options are as follows:

1) I can buy (2) VTF2.5 *used* for $600 (Look to be in really good shape)
2) (1) New VTF 3.5 from HSU, although my wife isnt exactly crazy about the size
2) (1) New ULS 15.2 from HSU, which my wife loves the size of

So.....one VTF3.5, dual VTF 2.5's, or ULS15.2 if size constraints aren't in play. If size is limited, then will the ULS15 work?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with everyone else that agrees. That's a great deal.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Dang 600 buckets for HSU what the heck are you waiting for?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
1) I can buy (2) VTF2.5 *used* for $600 (Look to be in really good shape)
2) (1) New VTF 3.5 from HSU, although my wife isnt exactly crazy about the size
2) (1) New ULS 15.2 from HSU, which my wife loves the size of

So.....one VTF3.5, dual VTF 2.5's, or ULS15.2 if size constraints aren't in play. If size is limited, then will the ULS15 work?
I would normally pick the VTF 3.5 but two VTF2.5 at less than one VTF 3.5 is a good choice if they're in like new condition.

If you're in law enforcement they may have a couple of good subs in their confiscation storage room waiting for public auction? :)

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
I would normally pick the VTF 3.5 but two VTF2.5 at less than one VTF 3.5 is a good choice if they're in like new condition.

If you're in law enforcement they may have a couple of good subs in their confiscation storage room waiting for public auction? :)
They dont.....sad panda =(

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Yeah...still a work in progress. Got the 2 used subs! 85" TV will be added when the funds allow. Cables will be hidden in the wall. Tables will be replaced But it is a good start. They hit and sound pretty damn good.

Subs.jpg

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Anyone have a spare grill they dont want? They came with only 1.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can probably order a grille from Hsu.

B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
B

Border411

Audioholic Intern
Black curtains my friend.
Not an option...there will be times when the lights are on in that room (ie-football party). The other half of the room will be set up as a game room (pool table/dart board/etc).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Not an option...there will be times when the lights are on in that room (ie-football party). The other half of the room will be set up as a game room (pool table/dart board/etc).
You can have both. More fun!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis