How to remove this plate amp?

B

Billguitarvin

Audiophyte
I would like to thank everyone who responded, what a great forum! @TLG Guy was right on about the gasket, it was compressed to the point I could see it acted like glue.

After a good night sleep, I decided to give it another quick trial. I remove the binding post caps to exposed the holes, then I put a good size hex key through them, 2 holes at a time to ply the plate loose. On the 3rd ply it popped right out. By the way, I tried hammering it with a rubber mallet before and it didn't work no matter how hard I bang it. It might have helped the hex key step though.

I may be the only one who has such stupid problem but I thought it wouldn't hurt sharing the trick that worked in this case, without the risk of scratching the shiny black finish.
PENG,, you are a genius! I was having the same problem with a Klipsch Sub 10s - I couldn’t get the plate amp out. I tried your brilliant idea of opening up the binding posts so I could get to the hole, put a couple of hex keys through the holes and after a few tugs out the plate came. There was no gasket on mine - just some Tolex it was in contact with so I guess that made it a little sticky. Unfortunately they did not leave enough slack with the speaker cord where it attaches to the plate so you can’t bring the plate out far enough to disconnect the speaker cord (?). I may be dumb, but how the heck is one supposed to get the plate out if you can’t get the speaker connections disconnected? Do I have to take the speaker out 1st? Anyway, thanks again for your follow up post explaining what you did and take care?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
PENG,, you are a genius! I was having the same problem with a Klipsch Sub 10s - I couldn’t get the plate amp out. I tried your brilliant idea of opening up the binding posts so I could get to the hole, put a couple of hex keys through the holes and after a few tugs out the plate came. There was no gasket on mine - just some Tolex it was in contact with so I guess that made it a little sticky. Unfortunately they did not leave enough slack with the speaker cord where it attaches to the plate so you can’t bring the plate out far enough to disconnect the speaker cord (?). I may be dumb, but how the heck is one supposed to get the plate out if you can’t get the speaker connections disconnected? Do I have to take the speaker out 1st? Anyway, thanks again for your follow up post explaining what you did and take care?
Yes in that case you will have to remove the driver and disconnect the wires from that end.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would like to thank everyone who responded, what a great forum! @TLG Guy was right on about the gasket, it was compressed to the point I could see it acted like glue.

After a good night sleep, I decided to give it another quick trial. I remove the binding post caps to exposed the holes, then I put a good size hex key through them, 2 holes at a time to ply the plate loose. On the 3rd ply it popped right out. By the way, I tried hammering it with a rubber mallet before and it didn't work no matter how hard I bang it. It might have helped the hex key step though.

I may be the only one who has such stupid problem but I thought it wouldn't hurt sharing the trick that worked in this case, without the risk of scratching the shiny black finish.
I assume you noticed or the photo is misleading, but the second photo in your post shows a cap that seems to show heat damage.
It is the smaller capacitor near the center above the two larger caps and I think it is discolored on the top outer edge in the 7 to 8 o'clock region?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis