How much is your main home audio system worth?

How much is your main home audio system worth? - Everyone should take part in this poll..

• < $1,000

Votes: 44 6.9%
  • $1,000 - $2,000

Votes: 58 9.1%
  • $2,000 - $3,000

Votes: 71 11.1%
  • $3,000 - $4,000

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • $4,000 - $5,000

Votes: 59 9.3%
  • $5,000 - $7,000

Votes: 85 13.3%
  • $7,000 - $9,000

Votes: 68 10.7%
  • $9,000 - $12,000+

Votes: 193 30.3%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver/All;

I have been monitoring this forum with much interest and rather than adding my own 2cents, I sent a quick email to Yamaha USA Products Director Bruce Bernstein.  He has given me permission to reprint this in this forum.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The RX-Z1 is a Class AB amp, and does not use HCA circuitry. It does have a beefy power transformer and filter caps, but the amps are all Class AB.
The MX-1 and MX-2 and MX-1000 were Class A amps, and utilized the HCA circuitry. The transistors used a sliding scale bias circuit, and they were always on, regardless of power output...</td></tr></table>

I hope this helps add usefulness to your debate.

This is not a knock on the fabulous RX-Z1, just meant as a point of clarification.  I trust Bruce as a very reliable source and I haven't been able to prove him wrong yet since my initial dealings with Yamaha over four years ago!

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HCA (HYPERBOLIC CONVERSION AMPLIFICATION)The Yamaha developed HCA circuit goes a step beyond the conventional Class A amplification generally used in a high performance amplifier. In a Class A amp, when output exceeds a limit determined by the idling current, operation degrades to Class AB, resulting in increased crossover and switching distortion. With the HCA there's less distortion and less heat generation. </td></tr></table>

Please note also that Yamaha does not explicitly state that their HCA designs remain in Class A at full power. &nbsp;They just state that the crossover distortion due to switching over to Class AB is less than most amps due to their proprietary circuit. &nbsp;I seriously doubt the amp remains at true Class A at full power. &nbsp;It would be too inefficient. &nbsp;Very few high end amplifier vendors produce fully class A amplifiers, and they are usually quite heavy, big, expensive, and produce 100watts rms per channel or less.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Many thanks Gene,

Saved me a trip to the lab. I had some doubts on the AZ-1 amp section but then I use a MX-1 for mains out. Yamaha's class A design is on the same level as Musical Fidelity amps and when I tested them at the labs, they delivered class A till clipping point. The HCA circuitry works in a different way from conventional class A amps. Ask Bruce to send you the power graph from the Yamaha MX amps. Also the integrated AX-892 and 1092 are HCA class amps as per Yamaha Japan site.

Even then Yamaha HT amps like the AZ-1 and RXZ-1 sound pretty close to the MX-1 amps and are the most musical when matched with right speakers.

Bprest0n.............many thanks for rectifying my mistake. I owe you one.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Orcinus

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Sanyo 27&quot; TV (hopefully replacing soon) - $520
Marantz SR4200 receiver - $600
Marantz DV4300 DVD - $400
Pioneer CLD-990 laserdisc - $600
Sony SLV-700HF VHS VCR - $? (if anyone knows the original MSRP, or has a manual, PLEASE let me know!)
Sony MDS-JE440 minidisc - $250
SCE SP-218 5-speaker system - $500 (I know, I know)
Audiosphere Prelude 1.2 subwoofer - $240
RCA RCU-1000 universal LCD remote - $180
Ixos cables all around - $950 (ouch)

All prices are in Canadian dollars, eh.  
</font>

<font color='#008080'>So your most expensive component is your cables... hmmm. Might want to rethink that on the next go-around! &nbsp;
</font>

O

Orcinus

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>So your most expensive component is your cables... hmmm. Might want to rethink that on the next go-around!  
</font>
<font color='#000000'>that's actually the retail price for all the cables in my system. I don't recall how much I actually spent on them and I can't even check, because I lost most of the receipts. But it's a -lot- of cabling. If you want, I can post a full breakdown of the cables I have...</font>

<font color='#008080'>You don't need to, I just thought that using cheaper cables and upgrading components would have been a better choice - BUT - for all I know you coudl have gotten them at 1/3 price and have 50' runs for the surrounds...

Buying expensive cables isn't a sin - you have the right to do so. I just noticed that the retail value of the cables exceeded all other (individual) components.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : <font color='#000000'>You don't need to, I just thought that using cheaper cables and upgrading components would have been a better choice - BUT - for all I know you coudl have gotten them at 1/3 price and have 50' runs for the surrounds...

Buying expensive cables isn't a sin - you have the right to do so. I just noticed that the retail value of the cables exceeded all other (individual) components.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>One of the reasons I appreciate the value offered by Radio Shack Gold interconnect cables. They do the job quite good at a price which makes you and your pockets happy. This way you can invest that money in a component rather than cables.
</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Just added a Denon DVD-2900 so I go up by a grand. Is that anything like passing GO?

Must say that this new player is awesome. The difference to my old Mits DD-8020 is shocking. I can see all these little details that I never saw before. The increased detail in people’s faces is very noticeable. Can’t wait to try out a SACD &nbsp;
</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Eric;

Please report back on your 2900 when you have the time. &nbsp;I am very interested in this player as it does not downconvert SACD to pcm, and has full bass management and digital delay compensation out of its analog outputs for DVD-A &amp; SACD, and supposedly has an excellent video section. &nbsp;I requested a sample from Denon but we will see.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Good news for all fellow Audioholics! &nbsp;My wife just informed me that two boxes from Denon showed up today at our front door:
1) Denon AVR-5803
2) Denon DVD-2900

We have been waiting quite some time to review these products and are looking forward &nbsp;

Given the complexity of these products and the detail we like to review them in, please be patient on the review. &nbsp;I expect a review print date sometime in August/September.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
gene : <font color='#000000'>Eric;

Please report back on your 2900 when you have the time.  I am very interested in this player as it does not downconvert SACD to pcm, and has full bass management and digital delay compensation out of its analog outputs for DVD-A &amp; SACD, and supposedly has an excellent video section.  I requested a sample from Denon but we will see.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Will do. Yes, I was excited about the DSD as well. I need to get some interconnects before I can play an SACD. Should be very nice. So far no complaints only praise. Be sure to watch StarWars Episode II again
</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Heres what I have so far:
Mains:Martin Logan Odyssey's $7000
Surrounds:Martin Logan Aeon's $3300
Pre/Pro: Sunfire TGIII $3500
Amp: &nbsp; Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature $4000
Cd: Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000w/upgrades: $700
DVD: Sony NS900 $500
TV: Toshiba 36&quot;(can't remember model#)$1000
Projector:panasonic AE100 $1500
Monster HTPS 7000 Signature edition $1400
Monster AVS2000 Signature edition $1700
Monster HTPS 2600 $400
Cables: $700
Speaker wire: Analysis Plus Oval 9:$300
Speaker wire: Analysis Plus Oval 12 $150</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>****************Quick Update ************

So far &nbsp;I am more than impressed with the Denon AVR-5803 and DVD 2900 combo. &nbsp;This is about the best sounding receiver I ever had the fortune of reviewing and the best sounding and highest quality DVD player in my experience as well. &nbsp;I am amazed by the DVD 2900's performance to say the least! &nbsp;More on this later.</font>

B

BTech

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>YamahaLuver, are all amps rated by class and if so , Where is the rating, this is the first ive heard about class ratings of Amplifiers.</font>

B

BTech

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>My Home Theatre...

Mitsubishi 55&quot;HD &nbsp;WS-55411
Harman Kardon AVR525 Receiver
Harman Kardon DVD25 Single Disc DVD Player
RCA DTC100 SAT Receiver
SONY TiVo DVR
JVC 200 Disc CD Changer
Russound 4.6 CA Whole Home Audio
Lutron Grafik Eye Lighting Control
DrapeBoss Motorized Drape Control
Philips TSU6000 Remote and Dock
Bang &amp; Olufsen BeoSound1 Stereo (just for kicks)
All Interconnects by NXG
All Speakerwire 14/4-14/2 by Genesis
All Coax RG6u-quad by Genesis
Ditek Surge Protection

SPEAKERS:
Center/Left/Right - Phase Technology CI-110 II
Surrounds- RBH Towers
Rears- Jamo
SUB- JBL PB15 (discontinued)</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
BTech : <font color='#000000'>YamahaLuver, are all amps rated by class and if so , Where is the rating, this is the first ive heard about class ratings of Amplifiers.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi B.Tech,

It was very popular in the past to indicate the type of amplifier and class A indicates the type of power output of the amp. It is debatable but the non switching class A was considered to be superior with more linear output curve than the common class AB. With the proliferance of HT and DSP, amp classification are a thing of the past and I guess only companies like Krell are making class A HT amps. I know Marantz does and Yamaha have withdrawn theirs from the international market, selling ther amps only in Japan.</font>

R

rlaakso

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I agree with Btech in listing his set-up with no prices. The winner, when it comes to price/quality, is the person who bought the best quality system for the least cost!! Cost of what you paid for your system is not a true indicator of a quality system.
For example:
My system Home theater
Onkyo TX-SR-700 receiver. $425. 2003 New. Corner slightly damaged.
Toshiba DVD SD-2200 $199 New 1999 (internet)
Pioneer SX-1280 receiver $575 new 1978
Infinity Overture 2 front speakers new (1999) $365 Returnbuy.com
My only point is that money is not so important as quality. I agree that the original post is to see what people have paid for their systems, but what quality/ price ratio have they received.
&nbsp;It would be very interesting to see a response to a question posed in this fashion.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Consider the fact that I am in college so it'll be a while before I can improve it.

Equipment:
Yamaha RX-V1300 - $610
Toshiba SD4800 - $200
Definitive ProMonitor200s x 3 (Left, Center, Right) - $685
Yamaha YST-SW305 - $200 (Servo is what sold me)
Polk RT25i (Pair for Rears) - $280=&gt; soon two become PM200s
Harman/Kardon FL8380 HDCD Changer - $200
RCA 20in TV=&gt; Gonna Replace w. new 26in Samsung HDTV
Admiral 4Head Hi-Fi - $free

Cables:
Monster Z1 for Front L/R - $75
Monster Original (5ft) - $? Can't remember
Radioshack 18AWG for rears =&gt; Soon will be replaced w/ Monster Original
Monster Data 200 Coaxial

Reference: Movies/Music
Gladiator (DVD)
Saving Private Ryan (DVD)
Band Of Brothers (DVD)
Lord Of The Rings:FOTR Extended Cut (DVD)
Stevie Ray Vaughn: Best Of Vol.2 CD
Linkin Park: Meteora CD
Star Wars: ROJ (remasterd for rerelease) CD
Princess Mononoke (CD)

I like to think I am doing pretty well and I am very happy w/ this sytem. but I will be perfectly happy once I upgrade some things.

;)~

Bob</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Khellandros66 : <font color='#000000'>Consider the fact that I am in college so it'll be a while before I can improve it.

Equipment:
Yamaha RX-V1300 - $610
Toshiba SD4800 - $200
Definitive ProMonitor200s x 3 (Left, Center, Right) - $685
Yamaha YST-SW305 - $200 (Servo is what sold me)
Polk RT25i (Pair for Rears) - $280=&gt; soon two become PM200s
Harman/Kardon FL8380 HDCD Changer - $200
RCA 20in TV=&gt; Gonna Replace w. new 26in Samsung HDTV
Admiral 4Head Hi-Fi - $free

Cables:
Monster Z1 for Front L/R - $75
Monster Original (5ft) - $? Can't remember
Radioshack 18AWG for rears =&gt; Soon will be replaced w/ Monster Original
Monster Data 200 Coaxial

Reference: Movies/Music
Gladiator
Saving Private Ryan
Band Of Brothers
Lord Of The Rings:FOTR Extended Cut
Stevie Ray Vaughn: Best Of Vol.2 CD
Linkin Park: Meteora CD
Stara Wars: ROJ (remasterd 1993) CD
The Who: Who's Next (LP)

I like to think I am doing pretty well and I am very happy w/ this sytem. but I will be perfectly happy once I upgrade some things.</font>
<font color='#0000FF'>Wish I had your system when I was in college. I would only add a bigger Yamaha sub like the YST-SW800/1500 and a rear projection or plasma TV. Rest of the system is just fine.
</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis