How does this REW look?

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
Here is a picture of my set up. Canton Chrono SL 596.2 Towers, Canton Center and 2 PB3000’s up front. Have Fluance bipoles for Side Surrojnds and 2 Polk for rear surrounds. I’m new to REW and was considering getting a mini dsp. These are a couple of my results. The red line I used Room Gain Comp and PEQ to flatten it out a little bit. Does this look good? Would I benefit from a mini dsp? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Same as the other post I made... kick it to 1/12 smoothing. In general it looks OK. Would be nice to see a full bass sweep from as low as it wil go up to around 200 hz. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Same as the other post I made... kick it to 1/12 smoothing. In general it looks OK. Would be nice to see a full bass sweep from as low as it wil go up to around 200 hz. :)
Yeah. I usually sweep from 10-200.
Also, again. Try try camera button. Much nicer to read.

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Oh wow, didn't see where you got the twin PB-3000's. nice.

Can you fill me in on the REW setup? What is needed other than a computer/laptop? Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh wow, didn't see where you got the twin PB-3000's. nice.

Can you fill me in on the REW setup? What is needed other than a computer/laptop? Thanks.
To use REW you'd need a usb measurement mic, like the miniDSP Umik-1 or the Dayton UMM-6 (you could use other mic designs but increases complexity). The REW download is free but be sure to contribute....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
It’s a REW KEW Canton day. If you like what ya hear keep the settings. Congrats.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here is a picture of my set up. Canton Chrono SL 596.2 Towers, Canton Center and 2 PB3000’s up front. Have Fluance bipoles for Side Surrojnds and 2 Polk for rear surrounds. I’m new to REW and was considering getting a mini dsp. These are a couple of my results. The red line I used Room Gain Comp and PEQ to flatten it out a little bit. Does this look good? Would I benefit from a mini dsp? Thanks in advance for the help.
It looks as if you need to turn your subs down. This is a very common problem. Hot subs spoil good reproduction and markedly reduce speech intelligibility. I know you paid a lot of money for them but running them like that produces sub optimal performance.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
It looks as if you need to turn your subs down. This is a very common problem. Hot subs spoil good reproduction and markedly reduce speech intelligibility. I know you paid a lot of money for them but running them like that produces sub optimal performance.
I haven’t had a chance to run REW again, but how can you tell they are too loud? What should I be looking for. The way I did it was have the sub volume at -10 (per SVS) and then set the volume to where the test sound reproduced 75db. I am a virgin to all of this, so any info helps, thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I haven’t had a chance to run REW again, but how can you tell they are too loud? What should I be looking for. The way I did it was have the sub volume at -10 (per SVS) and then set the volume to where the test sound reproduced 75db. I am a virgin to all of this, so any info helps, thanks.
Well there is a rise in level in sub range. Did you run the Audyssey speaker leveling program? This is something that Audyssey actually does very well.

Db meters can be unreliable here, as many loose sensitivity in the last octave.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I ran YPAO. I know it’s not the greatest. I have yet to do a solid sub crawl with these subs. I basically put them where I can get away with them. I’m going to do a sub crawl tonight. Should I do a physical sub crawl, or since I have REW, should I be moving the mic to different areas to be more accurate?
1858122E-C025-4196-8360-3C889634BC88.jpeg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I argue that you should learn to use your ears a little. ;) Training yourself to hear the differences in SQ is immeasurable.
Put one sub at you LP, turn all the other channels off, and play a good track with prominent and consistent bass content.
The first time I did it, it took me an hour or so in an 11x15' room. I tried Pink Noise, Test Tones, Rhythmic Test Tones, and Music. Music worked best IMO.
I found that moving in and out of a corner and hearing how the Bass Quality changed was the key for me to help understand what I was listening for. Corners amplify Bass, but commonly can also lead to Boomy and Muddy qualities.
Once I heard and understood that change, it was easy for me to crawl out the room... maybe 15-20 minutes on my knees sticking my head in all sorts of places! (That's a pretty picture, ain't it!) :p
Regardless... Keep your ears and mind open to the possibilities, even if the location is a little outside of your "proper" listening area. Most importantly, you are looking for places where the Sub (in your LP) will sound crisp and clean in it's possible home. Identify 2 or 3 spots where you find good clean bass performance.
The best location, needs to be a home for one of the subs. You may need to fine tune placement by moving it an inch or so as you finish dialing in.
The second sub, try in one of the other two spots, take measurements before and after and see how it is.
Repeat to the extent you can or re willing, until you get the bass dialed in.
Idealy, you can see your subs away from the Towers, and get effectively 4 discrete LF sources in you area... this will go a long way toward evening out the Bass Response in your room.

Combining the Sub Crawl with Geddes' approach to multiple subs is my preference.

Now, it's time to get a little obsessive! ;)

:cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
BTW, I agree with TLS to a certain extent. I find that Subs are set up too hot most of the time. In HT, its not so big a deal. In music, it is a different story.

But first, try to find the best homes for your Subs, in terms of acoustic performance! Once you find places that sound great, then you can begin getting everything integrated to your liking. :D

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I ran YPAO. I know it’s not the greatest. I have yet to do a solid sub crawl with these subs. I basically put them where I can get away with them. I’m going to do a sub crawl tonight. Should I do a physical sub crawl, or since I have REW, should I be moving the mic to different areas to be more accurate?View attachment 38954
I suspect that YPAO gives equally good results in this regard, but I don't know. You can measure either just the main listening position, or average four or less depending on how you will use your theater. One thing for sure, it will not be even everywhere. I try to get it at least best in the main listening position.

This is what I mean. This is the FR of a main speaker at 2M. Now this is a full range triamped speaker with the sub signal mixed and variable and variable baffle step compensation. The droop above 15 KHz is the mic. Now note the fall in response below 40 Hz. You will see why I did not correct this,

Here is a measurement at the MLP. Note that room gain has caused a slight rise below 30 Hz.

Now the front row.

Now the rear row. Being nearer the back of the room, room gain is increased.

So all of this takes some judgement and experimentation. You must listen as well as measure though.

All rooms will have a sweet spot whatever you do. You just have to try and make every seat a good seat, even if not the sweet spot.

Those results were achieved without Eq, just balancing the speakers.

As you might expect from the response measurement, the room sounds very good. The back row still sounds good. The effect is like being up in the mezzanine or balcony.

Hitchslapped

Hitchslapped

Audioholic
I suspect that YPAO gives equally good results in this regard, but I don't know. You can measure either just the main listening position, or average four or less depending on how you will use your theater. One thing for sure, it will not be even everywhere. I try to get it at least best in the main listening position.

This is what I mean. This is the FR of a main speaker at 2M. Now this is a full range triamped speaker with the sub signal mixed and variable and variable baffle step compensation. The droop above 15 KHz is the mic. Now note the fall in response below 40 Hz. You will see why I did not correct this,

Here is a measurement at the MLP. Note that room gain has caused a slight rise below 30 Hz.

Now the front row.

Now the rear row. Being nearer the back of the room, room gain is increased.

So all of this takes some judgement and experimentation. You must listen as well as measure though.

All rooms will have a sweet spot whatever you do. You just have to try and make every seat a good seat, even if not the sweet spot.

Those results were achieved without Eq, just balancing the speakers.

As you might expect from the response measurement, the room sounds very good. The back row still sounds good. The effect is like being up in the mezzanine or balcony.
Wow that is crazy how much it changes. Thanks for all the info and help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis