How Does Morality Change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I remember this case I think. He shot the dude in the back when the guy was running away. The video was very graphic if I remember correctly.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yes, you remember correctly. And there was also a little thing about trying to plant evidence, too.

Our society, regardless of our orientation is far from perfect. Unless...

Its OK if you're white. Not, if you aren't. Its OK if you're male. Too bad if not.

And justice, in theory, is blind. In practice, if you happen to be black... and sitting president, you don't get your pick for supreme court voted on. Or you get choked out by NYPD for selling looseies. Or....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of people, and a whole lot of liberals ;-) , don't understand that just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should. Colin had the ability to kneel. And he paid the consequences of his choice. It is the natural way of things.
That is a good and simple insight on the reality of life. We see pretty much eye to eye. It is the natural way of things as they currently are. You can't argue with reality!

A lot of people, and a whole lot of conservatives ;-) , don't understand that just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should. Trump had the ability to campaign on the promise of a "great, great wall" to keep out "rapists" and "criminals" (who are known to be hard-working honest people by a large percentage of the US population). And he is paying the consequences of his choice. It is, indeed, the natural way of things.

There is no need to debate whether Trump is racist or not. In the end what matters (and the answer to your question) is whether people think his wall is a racist artifact. In the end that is what matters! The bottom line is a large percentage of people believe it is.

So people's morality did not change, it is Trump's presentation of the wall that made it immoral in the minds of so many.

You may disagree, but this is the answer to your question of how a barrier at the border became immoral.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
not at all, they are nothing but harmless .........
Just meant as a whole the human race is somewhat moronic despite political leanings or extremes. Audiophilia is just a reflection. Altho I still think the drumpf has many followers who aren't well acquainted with facts.

As to harmless, far from it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just meant as a whole the human race is somewhat moronic despite political leanings or extremes. Audiophilia is just a reflection. Altho I still think the drumpf has many followers who aren't well acquainted with facts.

Z's comment is too accurate.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
That is a good and simple insight on the reality of life. We see pretty much eye to eye. It is the natural way of things as they currently are. You can't argue with reality!

A lot of people, and a whole lot of conservatives ;-) , don't understand that just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should. Trump had the ability to campaign on the promise of a "great, great wall" to keep out "rapists" and "criminals" (who are known to be hard-working honest people by a large percentage of the US population). And he is paying the consequences of his choice. It is, indeed, the natural way of things.

There is no need to debate whether Trump is racist or not. In the end what matters (and the answer to your question) is whether people think his wall is a racist artifact. In the end that is what matters! The bottom line is a large percentage of people believe it is.

So people's morality did not change, it is Trump's presentation of the wall that made it immoral in the minds of so many.

You may disagree, but this is the answer to your question of how a barrier at the border became immoral.
Kurt, I agree. The wall is not immoral. But some people have become convinced it is. It is not the act itself that offends. It is the belief about what I'm thinking that offends. Isn't that odd? Your, (collective), insight into my thoughts is the basis for disagreement with my actions. Makes for a tough negotiation and resolution. But it helps me understand why libs think it's worse if I murder somebody because of their sex/skin/religion than if I murder them for their money.

When thoughts mean more than actions, it's OK to destroy property when you're angry. It's OK to harass people at their homes and in restaurants. It's OK to sneak across the border. It's OK to kneel for the anthem. And now apparently it's OK to abort babies right up to the delivery time, just because you want to. But it's not OK to wear a MAGA hat. (Google "maga hat outlawed", in case you haven't seen it on your favorite news channel.)

My point is that whether you believe Thoughts or Actions are more important, may define whether you're a Democrat or Republican. In fact, this single point may be the answer for a host of issues I have trouble understanding.

Kurt, I appreciate the discussion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kurt, I agree. The wall is not immoral. But some people have become convinced it is. It is not the act itself that offends. It is the belief about what I'm thinking that offends. Isn't that odd? Your, (collective), insight into my thoughts is the basis for disagreement with my actions. Makes for a tough negotiation and resolution. But it helps me understand why libs think it's worse if I murder somebody because of their sex/skin/religion than if I murder them for their money.

When thoughts mean more than actions, it's OK to destroy property when you're angry. It's OK to harass people at their homes and in restaurants. It's OK to sneak across the border. It's OK to kneel for the anthem. And now apparently it's OK to abort babies right up to the delivery time, just because you want to. But it's not OK to wear a MAGA hat. (Google "maga hat outlawed", in case you haven't seen it on your favorite news channel.)

My point is that whether you believe Thoughts or Actions are more important, may define whether you're a Democrat or Republican. In fact, this single point may be the answer for a host of issues I have trouble understanding.

Kurt, I appreciate the discussion.
A wall in and of itself of course cannot be immoral, those placing it perhaps. No more than audio gear is "audiophile" or not. More than anything the wall is simply stupid and not a good solution to the problem. Conflating this issue with murder and ranking reasons for murder is just an indication of the strange thoughts you have. I think when it comes to murder based on sex/skin/religion has been the relative tolerance in the past of such by our society, if conservatives were the ones fine with that it more reflects on their values....

When people are angry things might get destroyed, doesn't make it acceptable. Any more than fans of a stupid sport like football doing it while celebrating, but that happens fairly regularly. The harassing thing goes on both sides, and might think again about reasons based on religion/skin/sex that have peppered our history. I don't know of anyone who thinks sneaking across a border is particularly acceptable, altho if you were in such a position as that was your only chance at escaping something worse, you'd probably do it, too. Sure, it's fine to kneel for an anthem, there are really no rules there....you don't have to put your hand over your heart nor take off your hat particularly, either. Unless you just have a fetish for authoritarianism or something I suppose. If a woman needs to abort I don't know why it would be any of your business, it's hers, she's the one bearing. MAGA hat wearing marks you as what it marks you as, feel free to wear one....

Your last point is simply odd.

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
IMO, McConnell is a lap dog and that may get him replaced, although he IS the longest-serving Senator from Kentucky, so, I guess, they like him. That could change. Probably not, though.
Many people in this state can't stand mconnel. However every 4 years the democrats trot out a candidate worse than him, so he gets re electected. Trust me, he doesn't have alot of fans in this state.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
agreed .......

I was speaking to the general audiophile population, certainly more benign than the knuckleheads in Wash, DC

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
agreed .......

I was speaking to the general audiophile population, certainly more benign than the knuckleheads in Wash, DC

Altho audiophilia I think has damaged the industry to an extent. Doesn't affect all that many people, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis