How do you power these mid bass modules?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Where would I cross these over at? low pass and subsonic filter I mean.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Research among those who've employed them for ideas, never tried it myself as my subs/speakers are fine without the mbms....altho I thought about it at one point.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Where would I cross these over at? low pass and subsonic filter I mean.
Measurements would help with determining your needs. How high and low do you think you want them? 40 to 120? Not knowing your systems room responce its hard to know without trial and error .

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Erich is with DIYSG. I have no clue what frequencies are supposed to be run with these.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Well I would like to try the MBM's because that's what theyre made for. What could I do with my mini dsp to get more midbass from my subwoofer? And how would I go about hooking up my fronts and center and surrounds up to my mini dsp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well I would like to try the MBM's because that's what theyre made for. What could I do with my mini dsp to get more midbass from my subwoofer? And how would I go about hooking up my fronts and center and surrounds up to my mini dsp?
Your sub is plenty capable in the midbass, even better if it were in a sealed enclosure. As for minidsp and the rest of your speakers it requires outboard amps for each channel.
If I were you, I'd have a complete understanding of what's going on before just throwing stuff like mbms into the fray.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try increasing the eq boost in the ranges you think are beneficial for your sub before going to an mbm. As I said before, it's really about spl.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
What frequencies should I boost though I have no clue what I am doing.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Erich doesn't really know where to run a LPF he said to tune at 45hz though.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Should I start the lpf at 400hz and go down from there till it blends right?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Should I start the lpf at 400hz and go down from there till it blends right?
More like between 100-200hz. There is expected to be a rather significant overlap with MBM and the mids on your main speakers. I can't really imagine an instance where these would be practical except for some real specific issue worth adding yet another single purpose set of cubes in the room. Then it's likely going to take some rather specialized application of filters in which to manage it all.

This ends up being the long way around to instead choosing the right main speakers for your task, and for the high SPL listener, there is definitely no replacement for displacement. If I was so enamored with the chest slam, I'd set up what I had in more of a near field setup and just get used to listening like that, which I do half the time anyway.

I get mid bass punch even at lower listening levels with the Fusion-12's, and even more so along with a pair of sealed, 12" hi-fi subwoofers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis