How do I get my 6 7" woofers moving?

• Thread starter guitarplyrstevo
  • Start date
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
please explain to a dumbass ... (me)

so are we saying that the 3 way speaker manufacturers are all dumbasses?
e.g. Polk Audio, Infinity, JBL, etc.?
Read what I said carefully. The B & W 800Ds are great three way speaker. Their midrange driver has to handle the correct five octaves.

The whole situation is basically predicated on having a band pass driver with the appropriate specs. If you don't, then don't build one. If you don't have a driver extending to the 6 to 8 K Hz range, then if you want a three way, making a powered speaker is you best option.

I would say this though, don't even contemplate trying to built a low price point three way.

If you want to see three ways done properly, look at the ATC line below. I don't think these speakers have been talked about in these forums before. However they certainly are in the running in my view for the accolade, the finest speakers in the world. Notes the crossover points. Note most of their offering are available as passive or powered. However I can assure you it is the powered ones that really deliver the goods.

http://www.flatearthaudio.com/atc_info.html

Here is my offering of a three way. It is passive for this little rec room system. Crossover points 400 Hz and 4 KHz. Don't ask the price of the Dynaudio D76 band pass driver. But it has the reputation of one of the best around

http://mdcarter.smugmug.com/gallery/2424105_Kh5ff#127080883_m9TKu

So no, you can carry off three way designs, but the challenges are immense and frequently not overcome.

G

GeorgeH

Enthusiast
So TLS Guy, how much do you think I can sell my two RTi12's for? It has some scratches along the sides and one on the top. It's the cherry color so it looks real nice.

I've been looking into the Definitive Technology BP7006. What do you think of that tower?
I said this before in a more indirect way, so I'll say it now more directly: Before you sell your speakers, learn about room acoustics (there is another forum on this board that deals directly with this topic) and make sure that the problem you are experiencing cannot be fixed by treating the room, or moving to another room. If the room is the problem, it won't matter what speakers you put in it.

No disrespect intended to TLS Guy, who I thank for his earlier post explaining his position. I'm still trying to digest it. ;)

Last edited:
zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
I agree with GeorgeH - if the room is really 9x9. I see early on that Nomo believed this to be true, but I haven't bother to track down if that's really the case.

If that's really the case...yes, try the Polks in a different room and see how they sound. A teeny, perfectly square room is an acoustic nightmare.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Read what I said carefully. The B & W 800Ds are great three way speaker. Their midrange driver has to handle the correct five octaves.

snip

So no, you can carry off three way designs, but the challenges are immense and frequently not overcome.
ok, i just checked the cx on my Infinity BETA 50's ... they're at 600hz ... so they're good?

but the JBL E series for example has a low pass at 300hz ... that's bad?

granted manufacturers cut corners somewhere to be able to build cheap and sell plenty, but i'm having a hard time believing the engineers at polk would let something like this slide? (given the severity of the problem - as per your conclusion)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

ok, i just checked the cx on my Infinity BETA 50's ... they're at 600hz ... so they're good?

granted manufacturers cut corners somewhere to be able to build cheap and sell plenty, but i'm having a hard time believing the engineers at polk would let something like this slide? (given the severity of the problem - as per your conclusion)
The speakers you quote continue to highlight the problem of three ways, and the need for bandpass drivers with larger bandwidths.

Now take the infinity first, the first crossover is 600 Hz, a nice place for a passive crossover. The next crossover is 3.3 K Hz where the optimal point 4.8 K Hz or above. So the compromise was to use fourth order crossover slopes to limit the band pass gain and get as flat a midband response as possible. What was the downside? Well it is time smear, because the mid is a full cycle ahead of the woofers at 600 Hz and the tweeter a full cycle ahead of the mid a 3.3 KHz. However given the limitations of the bandwidths of the drivers they are working with it was in my view the best compromise to make. However under controlled testing this amount of time smear has been shown to be audible. A speaker with analog fourth order crossovers can't even reproduce the vaguest facsimile of a square wave.

Now lets take the JBL the crossover points are 500 Hz and 3K Hz where the optimal would have been 500 Hz and 4 KHz. Again the compromise was fourth order crossover slopes.

Now in my three way I posted with the Dynaudio D76 mid driver, I get forced into the same compromise, even though the spread is 400 Hz and 4 K Hz. The reason is the limits of the out of band responses of the divers involved.

However those speakers are pleasing and they are not my critical listening speakers.

In my main system, all crossover below 1 KHz are active electronic crossovers, because of these issues.

If people really want to return to integrated full range speakers with high spl and low F3, then we need powered speakers with active crossovers, and preferably digital crossovers at that. There is still a crying need for good divers with significantly wider pass bands.

If I were a manufacturer, I would lock up the marketing guys and devote the lions share of my resources to full range driver development. The first sacred cow out of the window, would be rigid speaker cones. I believe this wrong headed obsession is the root cause of why we don't have a good selection of wide pass band speakers.

Members who have the time to doodle should follow the single driver full ranger sites. It is for the reasons outlined in these threads, I'm still a full ranger at heart, and so should every driver developer be.

The Polk compromise, in my view was a poor choice. That solution has to have a null at crossover and almost certainly accounts for the less than full bodied sound people have eluded to.

You have to understand, with what we have currently, there are numerous design compromises in EVERY speaker, no matter what it costs. Great speakers are to a very large extent dependent on the designer's judgment to make the best sum of the compromises he selects.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

By the way Mike, I could not find a JBL speaker with a passive crossover at 300 Hz, the lowest I could find was 500 Hz. May be you can steer me to one with a 300 Hz low pass. That would certainly be getting into the area where you should think twice about it, but at 120 Hz you walk the other way.

Last edited:
R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
I just saw this thread as it was linked in another thread and I wanted to comment. First off, a very high % of reviews of the Rti12's state they really come alive when you can apply some good, clean power to them. Efficiency ratings be damned, these are $1000-1500 speakers and they deserve something better than a $250 AVR pushing them to really let them sing.

Next, and for anyone reading this thread, please go give some Rti12's or 10's a test drive before concluding they suck *** in the mid to upper bass frequencies. The few times I've heard the 10's, I've thought they excelled in mid to upper bass response (thinking 120-300 hz). Grab some of your favorite music, something with a bass line that hits both high and low, and take it to audition these speakers, I highly recommend doing that. If you can't go audition them then at least get a different perspective/review of them by browsing the reviews here: (edit I can't post a link, so add the w's to the beginning of this): polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/rti12/?reviews=1 . You'll see lots of folks have moved up to some decent mid-fi amps in the 200wpc range to get the best of these speakers. And you won't see many folks talking about no mid-bass response. Cheers :D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I just saw this thread as it was linked in another thread and I wanted to comment. First off, a very high % of reviews of the Rti12's state they really come alive when you can apply some good, clean power to them. Efficiency ratings be damned, these are $1000-1500 speakers and they deserve something better than a $250 AVR pushing them to really let them sing.

Next, and for anyone reading this thread, please go give some Rti12's or 10's a test drive before concluding they suck *** in the mid to upper bass frequencies. The few times I've heard the 10's, I've thought they excelled in mid to upper bass response (thinking 120-300 hz). Grab some of your favorite music, something with a bass line that hits both high and low, and take it to audition these speakers, I highly recommend doing that. If you can't go audition them then at least get a different perspective/review of them by browsing the reviews here: (edit I can't post a link, so add the w's to the beginning of this): polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/individual/floorstanding/rti12/?reviews=1 . You'll see lots of folks have moved up to some decent mid-fi amps in the 200wpc range to get the best of these speakers. And you won't see many folks talking about no mid-bass response. Cheers :D
thanks for bumping this:eek: did you read the WHOLE thread? Please do;)

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic

Wow I thought this thread was dead. But this is exactly why I kept mentioning about supplying these speakers with more power. All the user reviews on the internet stated that they sound much better with more power, but like TLS Guy stated, the problem lies in the crossover.

R

RacineBoxer

Audioholic Intern
Wow I thought this thread was dead. But this is exactly why I kept mentioning about supplying these speakers with more power. All the user reviews on the internet stated that they sound much better with more power, but like TLS Guy stated, the problem lies in the crossover.

While I appreciate the technical discussion within this thread, I'm not buying it that the crossover is this huge problem that has lead to you having inadequate mid bass response (120-350hz). Could it be imperfect? Absolutely. Could it help differentiate a pair for $2,000 fronts from a pair of $20,000 fronts? Sure. Should the Rti12's sound inadequate, like they could be bested by a $400 HTIB? Absolutely not!

The Rti12's provide a flat frequency response throughout the mid bass frequencies (easily +/- 3 dB) so by no means should you be suffering from a big dip in performance in that area. I'm not buying it. Either you are use to the artificially bloated mid bass in cheap speakers or there is something wrong with your setup. Have you EQ'd your system to provide a flat frequency response in YOUR room? Does that receiver have audyssey?

The Rti12's should provide exactly the type of bass that you are looking for: tight & punchy.

edit: guitarplayer can you provide some specific examples of songs you've listened to and had this lack of tight & punchy bass? Also, what is your source for playing this music? Cd, ipod, etc...?

Last edited:
no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Rti12's provide a flat frequency response throughout the mid bass frequencies (easily +/- 3 dB)
Just an observation, a 3 to 6 Decibel dip around 150Hz can be clearly audible as a decrease in bass response, how bad it is depends on the Q of the dip.

C

CGilson

Audiophyte
I also posted this in a different thread. I read all of this and learned a lot. I know this is an old thread, so I hope some of you people are still around!

I am looking to bi-amp my RTi12s. I read this whole thread, and noted the 120hz issue.

Would it be wise to run an active crossover above 120hz, removing the crossover from the three 7inch subs? Leaving the high pass crossover in place for the mids and tweeter?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis