Hoping someone can help me out with DTS problem.

E

Elvis1118

Enthusiast
Hello good people! So here’s my issue.

between my own personal collection and a friend of mine letting me rip his collection. I have accquired a good amount of the old DTS cd’s and because of that, I decided to put all the discs on a hard drive and hook the drive up to my oppo bdp-93 so they are all at my disposal at any time without having to change discs.

the problem is when I go to switch songs, there a burst of white noise that plays through the speakers for a split second before the song plays. It’s almost like my receiver(Yamaha-RX Z1) is like a split second behind on decoding the DTS signal is the best way to describe it. I tried messing with the settings a bit to no avail. Does anyone know if there’s A way to remedy that or am I just pretty much SOL? Thanks all in advance.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hello good people! So here’s my issue.

between my own personal collection and a friend of mine letting me rip his collection. I have accquired a good amount of the old DTS cd’s and because of that, I decided to put all the discs on a hard drive and hook the drive up to my oppo bdp-93 so they are all at my disposal at any time without having to change discs.

the problem is when I go to switch songs, there a burst of white noise that plays through the speakers for a split second before the song plays. It’s almost like my receiver(Yamaha-RX Z1) is like a split second behind on decoding the DTS signal is the best way to describe it. I tried messing with the settings a bit to no avail. Does anyone know if there’s A way to remedy that or am I just pretty much SOL? Thanks all in advance.
How were the tracks transfered to your HD?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just created folders with the names Of the albums on the drive and dragged the individual tracks to their respective folder.
Dragging and dropping can cause a host of problems. You should use software to initiate the process. I used to have to rip DTS to a wave file and manually change the extension to avoid playback problems. There are a lot of variables you're dealing with.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have ripped my Allman Brothers Fillmore East DTS disc to flac and have had no playback issues with a variety of playback devices...and probably have dragged/dropped the file a few times fwiw....not sure I have another disc tho think I may have something in the way of a classical disc I haven't ripped....

E

Elvis1118

Enthusiast
Dragging and dropping can cause a host of problems. You should use software to initiate the process. I used to have to rip DTS to a wave file and manually change the extension to avoid playback problems. There are a lot of variables you're dealing with.
thanks For the reply. I’ve never messed with DTS files before so I’m kind of learning on the fly

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
everettT is onto something for your issue.

Many media players prefered that DTS files be in .wav format. (I used to see some that were .DTS)
If the player could not decode the file, all you got was the white noise.
I suspect that in your chain of components there is a delay before switching to the right decoding method.
Most likely it is your old Yamaha.
if you can, rerip to.wav and see if that clears things up for you.
File extensions and formats are crucial for these types of files...most of the new Atmos files play best in .m4a format.

There is a program called AudioMuxer that is great for working with multichannel files if you want to play around with something also.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be ripping the DTS audio to multichannel FLAC, which they didn't have a multi channel option back when I transfered all of my DTS CDs. Just a quick Google search and there were a few threads on various sites that addressed the issue you are having (or very similar).

Whatever the final format is, you'll need to rip the CD and not drag and drop. To conserve space I'd probably rip to FLAC and make sure that the rip output settings match that of the DTS CD, either 24/48 or 24/96.

Last edited:
ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
Drag and drop is just moving files around in a filesystem. It shouldn't be any functionally different from ripping to a specific location.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Another option would be ripping the DTS audio to multichannel FLAC, which didn't have a multi channel option back when I transfered all of my DTS CDs. Just a quick Google search and there were a few threads on various sites that addressed the issue you are having (or very similar).

Whatever the final format is, you'll need to rip the CD and not drag and drop. To conserve space I'd probably rip to FLAC and make sure that the rip output settings match that of the DTS CD, either 24/48 or 24/96.
I didn't realize he was actually dragging and dropping as in not ripping !! It's a wonder any of them work at all !!

I remember that back in the heyday of the DTS cd craze (alt.binaries.dts), that a lot of those homemade creations didn't work properly. (not to mention that a lot of them sounded really bad)
Thats where AudioMuxer came in handy...it would actually fix the files so that they would be playable.

ben_

ben_

Junior Audioholic
Oh, you can drag and drop the files off the disc instead of ripping? Like dragging a .cda file off a standard Redbook audio CD? Yeah, that is different and I'm shocked it works at all. It never even occurred to me that that was possible or something someone would even try.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Oh, you can drag and drop the files off the disc instead of ripping? Like dragging a .cda file off a standard Redbook audio CD? Yeah, that is different and I'm shocked it works at all. It never even occurred to me that that was possible or something someone would even try.
That seems to be the method he used...it is just file copying at heart, but all kinds of things can go wrong doing that from a cd structure.
Only good thing is that doing it that way, the files would have had to be .wav format.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would be interested in the particulars of the rips/method the OP utilized....

I remember when I first ripped that Allman Brothers DTS (multich) cd, didn't know if it would work or if I would just get 2ch somehow....but used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and no problem at all.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Would be interested in the particulars of the rips/method the OP utilized....

I remember when I first ripped that Allman Brothers DTS (multich) cd, didn't know if it would work or if I would just get 2ch somehow....but used EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and no problem at all.
We may never know...hope this isn't another "start a thread and disappear" thing.

E

Elvis1118

Enthusiast
I guess I worded my post poorly. I did rip the discs using EAC and THEN I dragged them from the folder they were ripped to, to the folder I created on the external hard drive.

something I probably should have noted but didn’t is that, if I let an album play all the way through there’s no issue, it’s only when I’m jumping around from song to song is when it does it. Maybe I’ll mess around with audiomuxer and see what happens. But part of me feels it could just be my old receiver. It does play everything fine, it’s just that split second of static that’s annoying, especially when I forget to turn the volume down…
I do apologize in advance, sometimes I’m just not able to get on til late depending on what’s going on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You might simply try re-ripping an album and see if that makes a difference. Could be your external hard drive I suppose, too as far as jumping around with tracks (what drive is it?). I generally rip to a file on my laptop then use drop/drag to load other drives, no issues doing that with many many files (all my cds). Doubt the receiver has much to do with it, tho....might even input drive to receiver rather than the optical disc player as a test...

E

Elvis1118

Enthusiast
You might simply try re-ripping an album and see if that makes a difference. Could be your external hard drive I suppose, too as far as jumping around with tracks (what drive is it?). I generally rip to a file on my laptop then use drop/drag to load other drives, no issues doing that with many many files (all my cds). Doubt the receiver has much to do with it, tho....might even input drive to receiver rather than the optical disc player as a test...
It’s a Little WD hard drive I got from wal mart a while ago that was just laying around. I’ll try these suggestions and report back.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It’s a Little WD hard drive I got from wal mart a while ago that was just laying around. I’ll try these suggestions and report back.
Some of those backup type drives may not be the best for your purposes? How is it powered?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis