Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
***Manny*** said:
I will take a look.

Does anyone have an opinion on this set:

Mod2 Home Theater Speaker System

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3

Manny,

These look pretty good for what they are...and are stylish. If you truly desire small speakers, these show nothing, performance-wise over (I'll repeat) the Hsu Ventriloquist-VT12. You also get one of the most respected subwoofers thrown in and not insignificantly, FREE shipping, for half the price of the Orbs. If you look around this site, and others, you'll see praise loaded upon Hsu engineering. They're ordered internet only, but you can ship 'em back if you don't like them after your audition. You get great speakers at a great price from a respected manufacturer. That's hard to beat.

That said, I yet agree with others here who recommend bookshelves, at a minimum, over satellites for your application and room size. There are many brands in your price range that will thrill you. If you insist upon Bose or these unknown orbs, caveat emptor.

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
rjbudz said:
Manny,

These look pretty good for what they are...and are stylish. If you truly desire small speakers, these show nothing, performance-wise over (I'll repeat) the Hsu Ventriloquist-VT12. You also get one of the most respected subwoofers thrown in and not insignificantly, FREE shipping, for half the price of the Orbs. If you look around this site, and others, you'll see praise loaded upon Hsu engineering. They're ordered internet only, but you can ship 'em back if you don't like them after your audition. You get great speakers at a great price from a respected manufacturer. That's hard to beat.

That said, I yet agree with others here who recommend bookshelves, at a minimum, over satellites for your application and room size. There are many brands in your price range that will thrill you. If you insist upon Bose or these unknown orbs, caveat emptor.

Do you have web site?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hsu can be found at www.hsuresearch.com

Again, with the size of room you're trying to fill, I would look at not-so-little speakers. There are plenty of thin, wall mounted speakers that you can get that will sound much better and fuller than the Orb speakers and expecially the Bose cubes. Companies that offer such speakers are:

Definitive Technology
Martin Logan
Manepan
RBH Sound
Leon Speakers

and others.

The thing is, I think you would do best to go with floorstanding speakers if you can due to your room size AND the fact that you have a big screen TV. On-Wall speakers will have reflection problems due to the face that they'll be located behind the screen.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
***Manny*** said:
Do you have web site?
The system I was talking about was the website I listed earlier in this thread. It includes the STF-2 subwoofer, the Ventriloquist VT12, a 20' sub interconnect cable, and free shipping for $559! This setup has all the apparent performance of the orbs, tho' not the pizazz of looking like big eyeballs instead of speakers, lol. ;)

http://www.hsustore.com/vt-12-stf-2.html

Happy speaker hunting.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
I friend of mine just bought that same VT-12/STF-2 combo to try out.

All I can say is WOW!! For that kind of money, I would be surprised if anything comes close to that kind of HT experience.

His room is slightly larger than yours I would say, and opens to the kitchen/dining area.

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for their input. This is getting hard :confused:

But I want to get the best I can for the money.

Also, I found this "BIC Acoustech System"

http://www.sounddistributors.com/buynow.asp?action=detail&prid=1054&crid=62&cat_name=this+weeks+sale+items

They are not as small, but I think they will work. Let know your feedbacks.

I am also looking at the Ventriloquist VT12. They look good to me. :confused:

I am trying to make a decision on what to buy, but there are so many choices that it is hard to make a selection. At least I have set my mind on the receiver. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments, this is great! :)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
There are a few people here with the Acoustechs and are VERY satisfied with them. I own some different BIC speakers and they are hard to beat at anywhere near the price.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
***Manny*** said:
I am trying to make a decision on what to buy, but there are so many choices that it is hard to make a selection. At least I have set my mind on the receiver. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for your comments, this is great! :)
We are all collectively breathing a sigh of relief that the Bose system you were looking at are now accompanied by some really solid systems that have a much better bang for the buck.

Its ok if its confusing, there are a lot of really good options out there at your price point! Besides, shopping and auditioning systems can be fun.

Enjoy-

~Josh

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
The acoustech system is a very nice bang for your buck setup, you can compare it to the Klipsch reference line. I'll be getting the center for that system today and am ordering the towers tomorrow I think, I'll be sure to post my thoughts on each as I slowly start piecing my system together.

E

eric0531

Audioholic Intern
I'm another happy Acoustech owner and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, especially since you can find the whole 5.1 setup for < $1000. But horns do tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em kind of thing, so hopefully you can find them locally to audition or buy from a dealer with a liberal return policy (I got mine at Costco back when they had one of the early batches, and their return policy is about as good as it gets).

I think the Acoustech surround speakers are particularly good at creating an enveloping sound stage. One of my favorite "demo discs" is the "Charging Pipe" chapter of Blue Crush. The big waves breaking give the sub a good workout, and the backspray landing in the water is a good test for whether the setup puts you right there in a seamless soundstage, or if it just sounds like stuff is coming from 5 speakers. And with all of that going on, there's some dialog as well so you can see how well that cuts through a noisy environment. Meanwhile, watching women in bikinis surfing doesn't suck ;-) I did have to try a few different placements for the surrounds before I found the best sounding option, which of course turned out *not* be be the most visually attractive, but fortunately my better half had no problem going with substance over format.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
1 Chiclet green square for Eric. Thanks for this being your first post and welcome to the forums....

N

nak45z

Junior Audioholic
I wanted to check with you guys about acoustic research speakers. i got the phantom series. and i got them connected with a yamaha receiver, a rx 2500. i think it sounds awesome but i cant find any info on them anymore. oh and i have a definitive sub the super cube 2. I just got the receiver and the sub in the last month.

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
Well, finally I made a decision on a 7.1 system. For those of you that want to know here is the list;

Product Information

MODEL# MAKE PRICE QTY.
AVR3805 Denon $795.00 1
Acoustech 6 Bic Acoustech $799.00 1
HT-63 Bic Acoustech $179.00 1

----------------------

Sub Total: $1773.00
Shipping: $209.00 (4 to 6 buss days)

---------------------

Total Price: $1982.00 :eek:

PS. Thanks for all the help and comments. :D

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Which speakers did you order? is that 6 of the Tower speakers and 1 Center?

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
***Manny*** said:
Well, finally I made a decision on a 7.1 system.PS. Thanks for all the help and comments. :D
.....Manny, I've said this before and I'll say it again....I wish I felt about my present system the way you are about to feel with what you have coming....don't get me wrong, I love my system, but you are about to receive all new stuff and I'm sure are thrilled in anticipation....I'm thoroughly jealous, haha....enjoy....if you have any problems hooking it all up, you know where to come ask.....

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
Cheers for Manny!

Don't be a stranger now, come back and post pics and impressions and likes / dislikes (hopefully a lot of the former and none of the latter). We all want to live vicariously through someone who has just plunked down the cash. :D

~Josh

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
mulester7 said:
.....Manny, I've said this before and I'll say it again....I wish I felt about my present system the way you are about to feel with what you have coming....don't get me wrong, I love my system, but you are about to receive all new stuff and I'm sure are thrilled in anticipation....I'm thoroughly jealous, haha....enjoy....if you have any problems hooking it all up, you know where to come ask.....
I am so excited that I asked how much for 2nd day delivery. The price was prohibited, but the funny thing about it, I did consider it. :rolleyes:

But just about 2 sec. :D

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
wilkenboy said:
Cheers for Manny!

Don't be a stranger now, come back and post pics and impressions and likes / dislikes (hopefully a lot of the former and none of the latter). We all want to live vicariously through someone who has just plunked down the cash. :D

~Josh

You got a deal.

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis