HomeTheater on on a budget

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My first suggestion is that you mix different vendors.

Secondly - Bose is about ten times the cost they should be. Horrendously over priced and about 100 posts on this site will tell you why.

Different vendors specialize in specific components and some are much better than others.

Company A may make great TVs while making really bad DVD players
Company B may make great DVD players, but poor TVs and lousy speakers
Company C may make great speakers, but lousy TVs and poor DVD players

Do you really want to spend all your money at any one of those companies? Why insist upon buying a lower quality product? Do you really think it will match the others in quality?

So, yes, you really must buy from multiple vendors to achieve the best bang for your buck and to have products that are of the highest quality for your money. I have yet to see a single vendor that has the highest level of quality for the money, in every category of A/V product out there.

You do not get a deal by going with one vendor - you get screwed over, which is why you will hear varied responses here and why you will likely not see a list from a single manufacturer.

A bit of patience and a little shopping will give you the best value. Don't rush it - all will be awesome when you are done. :)

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Another vote for "You can do much better than Bose"

For a great majority home theater system (I'm speaking from the suggestions of Takereasy and Brian right now. I really want to get out and hear these)
BIC Acoustech Speakers

HT-75 main channel towers ($499.00/pair), HT-65 center channel speaker ($179.95), HT-63 rear channel/bookshelf speakers ($269.95.00/pair), and H100 subwoofer ($349.00).

5.1 Package pricing for the entire six-speaker system is $1,199.00.
7.1 add another $269.95 for grand total of $1,468.95.

These are the full msrp's they can be gotten much cheaper. There is a thread in the deals page that you can get (I believe it is 5.1 not 7.1) the system from Ubid for $776.00 shipped!

There you get all the speakers from the same manufacturer not pieced together.

You will unfortunately need to go to another manufacturer for the reciever but this really isn't a big problem. I personally like Onkyo Products (It is all I have experience with) but many others recommend yamaha, denon, pioneer, HK... THere are many good online retailers JR.com, Vanns.com are two that normally have decent prices.

And it will run circles around the Acoustimass system. But don't trust us you need to listen to the systems. Do be careful in auditioning when considereing Bose because of thier marketing system. Depending on where you hear them they at least have the end cap with the sounds extended out while non of the other systems will have this. Therefore it will feel more enveloping in the store than the other brands. If you go to the Bose store they have a special room in which they are treated and the speaker may run off of special equipment. If you do not understand the bias against Bose here it come fromthe overpricing of inferior performing products. If you do do a search or bose on this forum you will find some links to a review done on the acoustimass system. The reviewer makes an attempt of creating some response curve since the manufacturer will not provide any (What are they hiding?) These curves show a large dip in in frequency response at a certain point (I don't remember the exact range but it is approximately the make vocal range therefore you miss much content in the vocals of movies or music).

You stated that you were looking at the Bose system because you wanted everything from one company not because of size. If size also is a factor others have made some good alternative recommendations because the speakers I have meantion are large floorstanders for the fronts.

But please go listen and see what you like.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
***Manny*** said:
Do you think Bose are overpriced?
Yes. Lots of sizzle, no meat. Trust me, better yet, go listen to a Bose system and then ANY of the recommended systems here. Oh wait, Bose places their stuff in a completely seperate part of the store... I wonder why?

Really, we're not trying to bash what you're thinking about... its just for the money a much better setup can be had.

***Manny*** said:
What I am trying to find is a good set from one vendor. My preference is not to mix different vendors in a setup.

Any sugestions.
This in general is a great idea for your front, center, and surround speakers. But your sub does not have to come from the same vendor. In fact, vendors that make WONDERFUL speakers often don't provide the same value in a sub.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s with a HSU or SVS sub. Would run you around $1200-1300. GREAT setup and would blow the Bose system away. Hard value to beat.

Rocket ELTs - a little more sexy looking if that's your thing...

Aperion Audio - they offer a completly free money-back garauntee, shipping included, for 30 days. If absolutely nothing else, pick up the Bose, pick these up, and send back the one you don't like, you will be out nothing.

***Manny*** said:
YAMAHA RX-V2500 Home Theater Receiver

Any feedback on this configuration.
Thats a fabulous receiver. Very nice surround modes for home theater and well powered, lots of bells and whistles. But you'll pay $650 with a warranty, and given $2000 for the whole budget you would be better served by going with the Pioneer 1015 for $450 and spend that extra $200 on the speakers or sub, in my opinion.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
brian32672

LOL, brian32672. I didn't note that the Scale Of Justice was there. LOL, little cameras looking back at me. Okay, you deserve AND GET some bonus points from me! ;)

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
rjbudz said:
LOL, brian32672. I didn't note that the Scale Of Justice was there. LOL, little cameras looking back at me. Okay, you deserve AND GET some bonus points from me! ;)
Yeah it seems as though others are not happy with my post.
Either for agreeing with you on Bose, or because I gave you a positive green.
Or just for spite (this I am assuming is the best possible for that particular post)

See look at my EDIT::
1 green chicklet for post #16
Another new friend

EDIT::: I got a negative rep for this post, because I gave someone else a positive.
I have my suspicions on who it was :mad: Obviously not rj :)
The one with blue is a negative on post 16... See pic below
However its quite funny :D

Attachments

G

golfer

Audiophyte
Hey manny i have some theater logic 2400 high performance speakers for sale in a box with the factory seal and the other i took out for pictures. I am willing to sacrifice, and sell these speakers extremely cheap due to the fact that i am a college student and need the money to pay for school. Let me know if you are intrested on them and i will give you the price. or let me know if you need the specs.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Theater Logic? That sounds like a white van company. I'd be leary of those.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
LOL it says they are Digital Ready, what the h*ll does that have to do with a speaker?

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
I was referring to one vendor for the speakers, in my opinion mixing speakers vendor may become a problem. But that is just me.

I inclined to get the YAMAHA RX-V2500 Home Theater Receiver.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
That makes more sense, but the fact is like someone stated earlier there are compaines that make great speakers, but their subs have a little something lacking, a lot of ppl opt to purchase the speaker set from one manf. so they all sound the same, and then get a subwoofer from somewhere else, for example www.svsubwoofers.com, a company that specializes in just subwoofers.

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
so your looking for something of a smaller size, not so noticable in the room?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Manny...

Are these going in your living room or family room so you have to have tiny little tinny speakers? You seem to like the small, sleek look that Boseque style that produces horrendous audio quality.

If you want something sleek, why not try something from Definitive Technology who makes some outstanding wall mountable & small cubes with a pretty solid reputation. Think reputation and quality first, cute little box they come in LAST.

I'm not trying to disappoint, but slow down and take a close look at the speaker manufacturers that are being recommended before you Google "small speakers" as you will likely just end up with frustration and wasted cash.

The Yamaha RX-V2500 is a killer receiver, but pricing may be a bit high considering your overall budget. I would agree with the Pioneer 1015TX recommendation made earlier. I keep hearing great things about that receiver.

wilkenboy

wilkenboy

Full Audioholic
***Manny*** said:
I will take a look.

Does anyone have an opinion on this set:

Mod2 Home Theater Speaker System

http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3
Sexy looking. Better than the Bose! Home Theater Mag had a review not so long ago that was mainly positive...

You'll find most of the good folks in this forum are obsessed with the best possible sound for the $$$ - style points count, but generally are not weighted very heavily in final decisions. If its small and stylish that you're shooting for this may be a great match.

If the best possible sound for the money is what you are looking for then I'd put these on the audition list next to some of the other systems recommended here and let your ear/eyes decide. And I'd still recommend you split out the sub to a good sub-focused company like SVS or HSU (sorry to beat a dead horse there). If its appearances you're concerned about most people hide the sub anyway...

The Yamaha 2500 unit is a solid choice. You won't be disappointed, even if its a little more than you need.

Happy hunting and keep us updated on your progress!

~Josh

M

***Manny***

Enthusiast
Spiffyfast said:
so your looking for something of a smaller size, not so noticable in the room?

Well, not really. I am trying to setup my newly fished basement. The room will also be used as a get together bar/poker/movies etc. So, I don’t want nothing I can not ceiling/wall mount. The room is about 20x15, so it is a good size room. I got it pre-wire with 12 gage wire and for a front projector (phase 2). Right now, I have a Sony 53 in rear projection TV that is about 4 yrs old. I old speakers were left in my old house when it was sold.

I also was looking at Axiom Audio Epic Grand Master. But they look a little big for wall or ceiling mount

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
Takeereasy had a good link to some really big wall mounts for bookshelf size speakers if your at all concerned about your sound and you have to have wall mounts that could be a good way to do it, let me see if I can find the link

Spiffyfast

Spiffyfast

Audioholic General
here's the link

http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt77.html

a little pricey to do all of the speakers that way, but a bookshelf speaker will have a lot better sound than a sattelite. So that may work for at least the Front L and R speakers with the Center sitting on the sony tv

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
It sounds like a dedicated speaker/social room. Why not have floorstanders?? Especially with a room of that size. At least for the fronts!!

As an alternative, I agree, go with bookshelves over satalites... that's a decent room size, to keep with satalites I think you'll have to push them fairly strong to get decent SPL.

What else are you going to put on next to the TV/monitor :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis