Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Set-Up & Calibration Guide

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's just a general recommendation for speakers/subs with ports for distance between port and wall....wherever along the wall you put it. You realize that the direction the port or the driver makes little difference with a sub, right?

P

Pat Ted

Enthusiast
Let's say I've decided to buy and use Minidsp 2x4 for the subs. What is the steps I have to do so the Denon audyssey XT32 not messing up the minidsp setting? Also should I use 0.9rms Volt or 2rms Volt for the minidsp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Let's say I've decided to buy and use Minidsp 2x4 for the subs. What is the steps I have to do so the Denon audyssey XT32 not messing up the minidsp setting? Also should I use 0.9rms Volt or 2rms Volt for the minidsp?
Get the HD version, but IIRC the output voltage is a pin setting so the regular can output 2vrms with the jumpers moved.

P

Pat Ted

Enthusiast
Do you think I need the 2x4 HD just for subwofers setting? Cause the price of 2x4 HD is double than regular one, I meant does it worth it?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Do you think I need the 2x4 HD just for subwofers setting? Cause the price of 2x4 HD is double than regular one, I meant does it worth it?
I would, as its definitely worth the price. The processing power is much better. Also when taking the measurements to shape the response use higher resolutions, ie 1/24 octave smoothing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One way to not have Audyssey change what you do with a miniDSP is not to run Audyssey, but many do as much as they can with subs with minidsp and then run Audyssey for integration. There's two voltage settings to keep track of, input and output. Will depend on your sub somewhat as to what output voltage you need for a match with the sub's amp.

P

Pat Ted

Enthusiast
thanks for the info guys. The denon x6400h have 2 sub output. when I use minidsp, should I use just 1 output from the denon or use both output from the denon?

colofan

colofan

Enthusiast
Another way of handling the one or two preamp outputs to multiple subs is to use pro gear.

I use a Behringer Ultra-Drive Pro DCX2496 for my bass management you can find them on ebay used and preatty straight forward to manage upto 6 subs independently from a one or 2 input from the preamp. Delay, phase shift, level matching and EQ can all be done.

Step up from that would be a DBX Venu 360 which allows lan connection and remote computer configuration typically twice the price of the Behringer but more than twice the performance.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Working on to trying use REWfor the first time in calibration my dual sealed 15s. I have already performed the audessy calibration on these subs with my a Denon x4000. So I figure I have level and phase in good shape I just need to level out freq response. Should I do my frequency sweep using both subs together or do each independent of each other? I think I should do each independent of each other and make sure just same the same seating positions....

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
I had the chance to do my first true fine tuning of my three subwoofers using miniDSP 2x4HD - two Rythmik L12s and one Rythmik F18. REW's auto-generated EQ did OK, but I wanted better results, so I started over.

I individually adjusted delay and phase inversion on each sub. This fixed a huge portion of the peaks and valleys. Turns out I don't have a room null at 120Hz at my seat, I had a sub integration issue that this solved.
I then used REW's EQ to DSP the F18 alone since that drives a huge portion of the low bass. I applied a high pass filter on the L12s to limit them below 20 Hz (and to limit distortion). Finally, I applied DSP to the input signal using REW's EQ tool and some fine tuning on my part.

I forgot to save the REW runs after I truly finished (I know! kids were driving me crazy and I slipped) but this was from before the last round of fine tuning to get a bit smoother response.

Overall, super impressed with how powerful the miniDSP 2x4HD is. Highly recommend it for integrating and tuning subs.

ToniScot

ToniScot

Enthusiast
I think it should separate the signal from the AVR. Divide 1 to the first two. Subdivide 2 to the next two. Audyssey treats the front pair as a child pair and the back pair as a child pair.

P

Poostang

Audiophyte
I think it should separate the signal from the AVR. Divide 1 to the first two. Subdivide 2 to the next two. Audyssey treats the front pair as a child pair and the back pair as a child pair.
You got that right, ToniScot! Great response!

P

Poostang

Audiophyte
I had the chance to do my first true fine tuning of my three subwoofers using miniDSP 2x4HD - two Rythmik L12s and one Rythmik F18. REW's auto-generated EQ did OK, but I wanted better results, so I started over.

I individually adjusted delay and phase inversion on each sub. This fixed a huge portion of the peaks and valleys. Turns out I don't have a room null at 120Hz at my seat, I had a sub integration issue that this solved.
I then used REW's EQ to DSP the F18 alone since that drives a huge portion of the low bass. I applied a high pass filter on the L12s to limit them below 20 Hz (and to limit distortion). Finally, I applied DSP to the input signal using REW's EQ tool and some fine tuning on my part.

I forgot to save the REW runs after I truly finished (I know! kids were driving me crazy and I slipped) but this was from before the last round of fine tuning to get a bit smoother response.

Overall, super impressed with how powerful the miniDSP 2x4HD is. Highly recommend it for integrating and tuning subs.
Not impressed with the miniDSP’s at all! The worst by far for integrating and tuning! Please justify!

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Not impressed with the miniDSP’s at all! The worst by far for integrating and tuning! Please justify!
Full details here:

E

Erus1982

Audioholic Intern
Hello guys. I have recently bought an Svs PB 2000 pro and its very good. I have placed it 1 meter away from my room right corner, I ran Audyssey XT (dont have XT32) and then I used a phone spl meter to raise sub channel gains to match with speaker levels. The subwoofer seems to sound good but as this is my first true sub I have no idea if I get the most out of it. My question is do I need to proceed further with calibration? 1) Do I need to buy a mic and meausure REW? 2) If yes, what else do I need in order to confiqure sub EQ afterwards? Can I use the svs app or do I need a minidsp 2x4 or something? Sorry for being so novice but I would really appreciate some guidance if you have the time!

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
My recommendation is to invest in a calibrated mic and learn to use REW before buying a DSP or going crazy with calibration. If it sounds good, then you're enjoying it, which is the whole point. If you want to get the best out of the system then you need to know what you're working with to do that. Get a baseline with REW. If you see issues, you should try to use the built in DSP that you already own. If that truly can't solve it then maybe a better DSP is in order. But placement will probably make as much or more of a difference than any DSP.

E

Erus1982

Audioholic Intern
My recommendation is to invest in a calibrated mic and learn to use REW before buying a DSP or going crazy with calibration. If it sounds good, then you're enjoying it, which is the whole point. If you want to get the best out of the system then you need to know what you're working with to do that. Get a baseline with REW. If you see issues, you should try to use the built in DSP that you already own. If that truly can't solve it then maybe a better DSP is in order. But placement will probably make as much or more of a difference than any DSP.
which calibrated mic do you recommend?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
which calibrated mic do you recommend?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis