Help with reading my first REW graphs

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Typically receivers auto-EQ these days. If yours doesn't do that, an outboard equalizer is connected between the pre-amp and amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I am a Pioneer Elite SC27 and I ran the MCAAC (or whatever the acronym is) Auto EQ and just used that but it is only for channel levels. Is there something else that I should be looking to tweak in the AVR?

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
That’s an older model, so it might not do auto-EQ - check the manual. If not, you’re out of luck, unless you want to buy both an equalizer and outboard amplifier.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
His avr has a graphic eq, closest frequencies available are 63 or 125 hz. If using an external amp you could put the minidsp in between the avr and amp....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
His avr has a graphic eq, closest frequencies available are 63 or 125 hz. If using an external amp you could put the minidsp in between the avr and amp....
I do have an external 2 channel amp running my mains... I could use the 4X2HDminidsp for that?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Yep, can even have REW help out...
hmmm but I need that miniDSP for the subs.... I may just have to live with the mains the way they are. I don't think they sound bad... but I am curious to see what they would sound like with a flatter curve...

How does the last graph I posted look to you?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be trying to do something to flatten the 100hz peak :) You're not using the minidsp now, so give it a shot....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I'd be trying to do something to flatten the 100hz peak :) You're not using the minidsp now, so give it a shot....
True... I can give it a try.

I'll have to read up on how to use it. Does it save the settings? Just asking 'cause when I use it on the subs it will obviously be different settings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
True... I can give it a try.

I'll have to read up on how to use it. Does it save the settings? Just asking 'cause when I use it on the subs it will obviously be different settings.
Think of the minidsp as a programmable eq, you can change its configuration for subs easily enough later (unless you really like what it does and buy another :) ).

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The capsule is the actual microphone. Dont point at the speakers, orient it vertically.
not sure what the capsule is but the mic is positioned at the listening position facing the speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The capsule is the actual microphone. Dont point at the speakers, orient it vertically.
Good catch. He has the Umik-1 so yep point it up for room measurements (you might orient it directly at a speaker if doing close mic'd measurements of the speaker).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How does the last graph I posted look to you?
For an in room response that graph looks pretty good. The peak isn't that big and it's not that wide.

I've met guys that might be able to tell the difference in sound from having the peak and having it removed. I see them every few years but no way is a normal person going to pick up on that.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Only if you have a 90-degree calibration file for it. I'm definitely in the minority here, but I’ve never considered upright orientation to be “best work practices.” For instance, if you have an older house that has a smooth, non-textured ceiling, it may get you exaggerated readings on the upper frequencies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Only if you have a 90-degree calibration file for it. I'm definitely in the minority here, but I’ve never considered upright orientation to be “best work practices.” For instance, if you have an older house that has a smooth, non-textured ceiling, it may get you exaggerated readings on the upper frequencies.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Im just using the Umik calibration file that comes with the mic.

I found the information in 1 of 2 files. Part of it reads:

"Auto-generated 90-degree calibration file for use with nanoAVR DL"

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis