Help with reading my first REW graphs

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
It helps to do 6-8 positions in a 2' area to see how the room is behaving.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
So I should move the mic around 6-8 times in a 2 foot area? That's a 1.42 foot by 1.42 foot space!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I should move the mic around 6-8 times in a 2 foot area? That's a 1.42 foot by 1.42 foot space!
How much variance might there be by simply moving your head? Make it 2 x 2 ft :)

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
measurements2.jpg

So I added all my panels and this is the best I could get after playing around with the speaker distance from the rear wall..... Any ideas on how to get the dip out at 100 Hz? Nothing I've tried affects that frequency for the better.... it stays the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So trying to pull it down with PEQ does nothing at all? What is your crossover set at assuming we're looking at combined response? Hard to know what the various lines on the graph represent without a legend or description....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
So trying to pull it down with PEQ does nothing at all? What is your crossover set at assuming we're looking at combined response? Hard to know what the various lines on the graph represent without a legend or description....
Here is another graph (1/6 smoothing) that is only one measurement sweep but it's the best one that I got. It's 46.5 inches from the rear wall.

Not sure what PEQ is.
Crossover is my AVR is set to 80 hz
Not sure what you mean by combined response :S.... sorry I'm new at this..

40 scale.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Combined between speaker and sub. What were the four lines before vs the single now? Just one mic position? Multiple mic positions? What does the 46.5 inches from the rear wall refer to, is this at your normal seated listening position? PEQ is parametric eq, where you can shape something to pull it down....I'm assuming you have some eq and might be getting ahead of myself :). Try changing your xover to 100 could be something to try.

Remember, most men only get mind readers when they get married :) j/k.....sorta.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
So I added all my panels and this is the best I could get after playing around with the speaker distance from the rear wall.....
If by “panels” you mean acoustical treatments, they primarily make a room more “dead” by reducing reflections and reverberation. They have little effect on frequency response.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd also try a higher crossover as well. One question, is your mic oriented with capsule facing up when you measure?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Combined between speaker and sub. What were the four lines before vs the single now? they were different measurements with various panels off the wall... speaker distances etc... Just one mic position? Multiple mic positions? What does the 46.5 inches from the rear wall refer to, is this at your normal seated listening position? The 46.5 from rear wall is the measurement from the tweeter to the rear wall. I thought the 46.5 inch from rear wall graph looked best. PEQ is parametric eq, where you can shape something to pull it down....I'm assuming you have some eq and might be getting ahead of myself :). Bo EQ :) Just plain old speakers and wall treatments. Try changing your xover to 100 could be something to try. This was dumb of me. I am not using a sub so no preset Xover. Just using what ever cross over is in the speaker itself. I have large speakers so the sub is not needed for music.

Remember, most men only get mind readers when they get married :) j/k.....sorta.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
If by “panels” you mean acoustical treatments, they primarily make a room more “dead” by reducing reflections and reverberation. They have little effect on frequency response.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Really? So panels won't really affect the look of a graph? Then how to you get rid of the peaks and dips?

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
I'd also try a higher crossover as well. One question, is your mic oriented with capsule facing up when you measure?
not sure what the capsule is but the mic is positioned at the listening position facing the speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL whaddya mean large speakers don't need subs? Crazy talk :)

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
LOL whaddya mean large speakers don't need subs? Crazy talk :)
As you know ;) I'll be making some subs but not sure if I will be using them for music. (Since the 18-22s are more HT subs from what I read... of course I'll give it a try with music) How do I fix this damn graph lol with only a stereo test tone? (no sub)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As you know ;) I'll be making some subs but not sure if I will be using them for music. (Since the 18-22s are more HT subs from what I read... of course I'll give it a try with music) How do I fix this damn graph lol with only a stereo test tone? (no sub)
Kinda why I said crazy talk. I use mine with both large speakers and music. Subs don't have a preference....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Oh damn... I thought panels would do it or at least affect it. I have a miniDSP for my subs but how would I EQ main speakers?
Typically receivers auto-EQ these days. If yours doesn't do that, an outboard equalizer is connected between the pre-amp and amplifier.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis