Help with Basement Speaker Layout and Brand Selection

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
Is SVS subs better than Def Tech? Any recommendations on a set of 2?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is SVS subs better than Def Tech? Any recommendations on a set of 2?
Absolutely.
What kind of budget do you have for subwoofage? Here are many great options out there but it helps to know budget. Rythmik and HSU are favorites. However I really like(and use) cylinder models by SVS. I like the looks and performance.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the best deal for a 5.1.4 is the x4300. A4l usually has it for around 8-900. But I’ve been looking at this.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4400h/denon-avr-x4400h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html
The 4300/4400 has processing and amplification for 9 speakers, but also processes up to 11. Therefore someone like me who already has an external amp can do 7.1.4. Yamaha makes solid mid-upper receivers but I’ve personally never enjoyed their menu systems and the sound modes are a waste for me.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
Absolutely.
What kind of budget do you have for subwoofage? Here are many great options out there but it helps to know budget. Rythmik and HSU are favorites. However I really like(and use) cylinder models by SVS. I like the looks and performance.
Under $1200 for 2 subwoofers

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You may want to consider 1 high quality sub and then adding one later on if it isn't enough. SVS has the PB-12 Plus in the outlet for $1199.99. You may want to consider that route.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
You may want to consider 1 high quality sub and then adding one later on if it isn't enough. SVS has the PB-12 Plus in the outlet for $1199.99. You may want to consider that route.
Compared to SVS SB-2000 as I could get 2 for roughly the same price.
I know speakers are subjective but any thoughts on DefTech BP9060 and CS9080?

If my front left/right are too far apart another option is putting them behind the projector screen that is a acoustic screen. Any concerns with that approach?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Compared to SVS SB-2000 as I could get 2 for roughly the same price.
I know speakers are subjective but any thoughts on DefTech BP9060 and CS9080?

If my front left/right are too far apart another option is putting them behind the projector screen that is a acoustic screen. Any concerns with that approach?
I was gonna suggest an at screen as a solution. That’s pretty common, and would be a lot cleaner looking.

As far as 2 SB 2000’s go, it would take like 4 of them(I don’t have exact numbers handy) to equal the output of the pc/pb plus. I had an sb2k mixed in with a pair of pc12pluses, and in my large room, it didn’t contribute very much. Subwoofers see the entire room whereas a speaker is mostly dependent on the distance to your seat. That means in a fairly large room like yours, including the bar area, the sb2k will struggle. Iirc, fuzz recommended getting the best sub you can now, and add one later if you can/need one. I agree with this.
Have you listened to the Def techs? If not, I would try to listen to them, and as many others as you have access to. Lots of guys like them, but their specs tend to be inflated.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
I was gonna suggest an at screen as a solution. That’s pretty common, and would be a lot cleaner looking.

As far as 2 SB 2000’s go, it would take like 4 of them(I don’t have exact numbers handy) to equal the output of the pc/pb plus. I had an sb2k mixed in with a pair of pc12pluses, and in my large room, it didn’t contribute very much. Subwoofers see the entire room whereas a speaker is mostly dependent on the distance to your seat. That means in a fairly large room like yours, including the bar area, the sb2k will struggle. Iirc, fuzz recommended getting the best sub you can now, and add one later if you can/need one. I agree with this.
Have you listened to the Def techs? If not, I would try to listen to them, and as many others as you have access to. Lots of guys like them, but their specs tend to be inflated.
None of their indoor speakers only their outdoor ones which I own. I’m impressed with those though.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
None of their indoor speakers only their outdoor. I was impressed with those though.

Would an AVR like the ones mentioned before handlebthe power requirements for that SVS sub in addition to more power hungry front L/R speakers (like DefTech BP9060)?
I’m unsure at what point you need to add an amp and how it would get connected to the AVR and speakers/sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I haven’t looked very closely yet at the 9060’s specs but I think any of the receivers mentioned will drive them without any problems.
As far as the subs go. They have their own internal amplifiers, and so you only need to send an rca cable from the avr to the sub. Subwoofers have their own power so to your question, that is not a factor.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
I haven’t looked very closely yet at the 9060’s specs but I think any of the receivers mentioned will drive them without any problems.
As far as the subs go. They have their own internal amplifiers, and so you only need to send an rca cable from the avr to the sub. Subwoofers have their own power so to your question, that is not a factor.
Great. Any brands in particular for AT screens? Amazon has several but not sure if they’re good quality.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t know about Amazon screens. The first ones that come to mind are Stewart, and Da-lite, or elite. Might wanna Google some diy options too.

M

matt_ht

Enthusiast
I don’t know about Amazon screens. The first ones that come to mind are Stewart, and Da-lite, or elite. Might wanna Google some diy options too.
Went to Best Buy tonight to look in their Magnolia setups. The consultant there said he’d recommend Bowers & Wilkins. I thought the 702 S2 L/R floor standing speakers sounded better than DefTech 9080X. Any opinions on B&W? The downside is their higher priced than DefTech...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So. You asked about the 9060’s. I can only offer my opinion based on what I know of their design as I’ve not heard them. They’re kind of an odd duck in that they’re bipolar and have built in subs. For the latter, I find the claim dubious, as in compared to a real subwoofer they can’t offer the same level of performance.(do not believe the published specs. Find some reviews with measurements). Especially in a big room such as yours. Secondly, bipoles as mains usually take great care in placement for them to perform well. Since your going behind a screen, or right up next to the built in entertainment center, I don’t think you have many placement options to accommodate them. At roughly 2k for the pair, there are a lot of options out there. Jbl, klipsch, kef, SVS, Golden ear, elac, psb, and RBH are a few(and others I can’t think of off hand) that I would buy before def techs personally.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis