Help!!! The subwoofer has some strange sound

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I brought it to the store for them to check. They have checked and concluded that it is normal.
They explained this phenomenon caused by cut-off frequency.
I think it's not a reason. So is the subwoofer or this track not good enough?
It’s definitely the sub. Track plays fine in my system. I have 3 good sized 12’s and extension to 14hz. No issues with the track. The sub just isn’t good. Sorry.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
I brought it to the store for them to check. They have checked and concluded that it is normal.
They explained this phenomenon caused by cut-off frequency.
I think it's not a reason. So is the subwoofer or this track not good enough?
Just as mentioned above, you are attempting to play lower frequencies that is limited by the sub itself. Song is fine, sub is "sub" par.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The system you have is designed to play mainstream music at casual listening levels. It has pretty good fidelity for the price within those parameters!
However, with the type of music you want to play and the emphasis on low notes presented therein, you are simply exceeding the ability of the sub. There are probably other 8" subs that would do a much better job, but the one you have needs to be able to play cleanly up to the crossover to the tiny woofers of teh speakers (maybe 180Hz).
The bottom line is that being able to play low cle4anly is expensive.
It is disappointing that Edifier doesn't have some sort of limiter or bass filter such that those low note would not make it to the sub (rather than the sub crapping all over itself).
This unit clearly will not fit your needs.

You need to decide what is an appropriate compromise between:
1) Spending substantially more money for a system that will play these low notes without any struggle.
2) Keeping the budget around $300, but finding a system that will not attempt to play frequencies beyond its capability

The JBL LSR-306p's I recommended are an example of option two and the option suggested by nbk13nw that I quoted below is an example of a good compromise that probably cost somewhere in the $500-$650 range!

Tell us what you are thinking and try to listen to some other options and give us some feedback and we will help guide you. If you have access to audio stores that will let you listen to lots of options (bring your music), we won't have a lot to offer!

Last, consider that a system like the JBL's that nbk and I mention are sold at Pro Audio stores (like Guitar Centers if their chain reaches your region). IME, the sales guys in Pro Audio are at least a little more knowledgeable about their products (often they are aspiring musicians who support their music habit with a day job, but they are interested in the gear and quality sound)!

A couple of questions:
What is your source for music? Computer? Phone? Radio? CD player or media server?
How big is the room and how close do you sit to the speakers?

I started my new computer build with some Edifier speakers and sub. I never played any bass boosted content but found the bottom end was lacking. I ended up with some JBL 305's and the matching 310 subwoofer. It sounds incredible nearfield. Raise the budget a bit and take your time if need be. You will not be disappointed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As far as just a subwoofer goes we should be able to find something better than what he has now, right? Bump it up a little for RSL speedwoofer at $399?

A pair of these?

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
The system you have is designed to play mainstream music at casual listening levels. It has pretty good fidelity for the price within those parameters!
However, with the type of music you want to play and the emphasis on low notes presented therein, you are simply exceeding the ability of the sub. There are probably other 8" subs that would do a much better job, but the one you have needs to be able to play cleanly up to the crossover to the tiny woofers of teh speakers (maybe 180Hz).
The bottom line is that being able to play low cle4anly is expensive.
It is disappointing that Edifier doesn't have some sort of limiter or bass filter such that those low note would not make it to the sub (rather than the sub crapping all over itself).
This unit clearly will not fit your needs.

You need to decide what is an appropriate compromise between:
1) Spending substantially more money for a system that will play these low notes without any struggle.
2) Keeping the budget around $300, but finding a system that will not attempt to play frequencies beyond its capability

The JBL LSR-306p's I recommended are an example of option two and the option suggested by nbk13nw that I quoted below is an example of a good compromise that probably cost somewhere in the $500-$650 range!

Tell us what you are thinking and try to listen to some other options and give us some feedback and we will help guide you. If you have access to audio stores that will let you listen to lots of options (bring your music), we won't have a lot to offer!

Last, consider that a system like the JBL's that nbk and I mention are sold at Pro Audio stores (like Guitar Centers if their chain reaches your region). IME, the sales guys in Pro Audio are at least a little more knowledgeable about their products (often they are aspiring musicians who support their music habit with a day job, but they are interested in the gear and quality sound)!

A couple of questions:
What is your source for music? Computer? Phone? Radio? CD player or media server?
How big is the room and how close do you sit to the speakers?
I played the track over Bluetooth in 15m2 room.
The distance to the speaker is about 2m.
My purpose is to find out where is the problem in? My subwoofer of Track?
If the track can play well on other S350DB subwoofers or other speakers without any strange sound like cracks/pops/rattling, definitely subwoofer has the error. And I can request the store for a warranty.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you discovered that already when you tested at the store?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If the track can play well on other S350DB subwoofers or other speakers without any strange sound like cracks/pops/rattling, definitely subwoofer has the error. And I can request the store for a warranty.
The problem is the subwoofer, tho I don't think it qualifies as an error so much as its just not made well enough to play the stuff you want to listen to.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't you hear this problem at the store on another same setup? And they then told you it was normal. The answer is right there my friend. It's the sub, not the song. A small cheap sub like that is going to have issues reproducing deep bass as you've found out. I know you're hoping someone will say it's the song, but it isn't. Return the speakers if you're unhappy with them and we can suggest better options for you.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
William answered that question here:
It’s definitely the sub. Track plays fine in my system. I have 3 good sized 12’s and extension to 14hz. No issues with the track. The sub just isn’t good. Sorry.
So you know the track plays well on other systems (with very good ability to play bass) and you know the S350DB sub at the store crapped itself like yours does.
Like Pogre says, it doesn't seem your unit is defective (unless the in-store unit is also defective), however, from a satisfaction standpoint, you have every right to return it (if you are still within the time frame for a return). Typically a warranty claim will only get you a repaired/replacement unit which is unlikely to change a thing. Maybe your store has a more useful option?
It is the track in the sense that the track has content well beyond the capability of this Edifier system, as William notes, the recording is clean.

It is kind of like you bought a 1 ton pickup, but you are trying to use it with a 2 ton load! To be fair to you, pickups advertise their load capacity when you are buying it. Audio units will indicate their frequency response capability, but leave the customer clueless as to what happens if you feed them content beyond the FR. Someone who has been around (like us) would know to check this out before buying such a modest system, but there is no reason a consumer would give it a second thought without more experience in this area.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

So you know the track plays well on other systems (with very good ability to play bass) and you know the S350DB sub at the store crapped itself like yours does.
Like Pogre says, it doesn't seem your unit is defective (unless the in-store unit is also defective), however, from a satisfaction standpoint, you have every right to return it (if you are still within the time frame for a return). Typically a warranty claim will only get you a repaired/replacement unit which is unlikely to change a thing. Maybe your store has a more useful option?
It is the track in the sense that the track has content well beyond the capability of this Edifier system, as William notes, the recording is clean.
Yeah, I listened to both of those YT clips and it was clean on my end too. Bass boosted, but clean.

killbill13

killbill13

Full Audioholic
Dont play bass boosted songs. or bass boosted videos. You can damage your subwoofer.
give it back its a hardware problem. Try to upgrade also.

your subwoofer cable must be away from electric cables. not to give noise

Last edited:
J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Didn't you hear this problem at the store on another same setup? And they then told you it was normal. The answer is right there my friend. It's the sub, not the song. A small cheap sub like that is going to have issues reproducing deep bass as you've found out. I know you're hoping someone will say it's the song, but it isn't. Return the speakers if you're unhappy with them and we can suggest better options for you.
Yes. I went to the store and do a test with an S350DB demo product.
The result is the same as my S350DB.
But I've played this song on my Edififer M1370BT before, it's a cheaper speaker and no problem with the track.
And the store also tested with some songs, but the problem seems to be not appeared.
So it's hard to make sure the sub is bad.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast

It is kind of like you bought a 1 ton pickup, but you are trying to use it with a 2 ton load! To be fair to you, pickups advertise their load capacity when you are buying it. Audio units will indicate their frequency response capability, but leave the customer clueless as to what happens if you feed them content beyond the FR. Someone who has been around (like us) would know to check this out before buying such a modest system, but there is no reason a consumer would give it a second thought without more experience in this area.
I went to the store and do a test with an S350DB demo product.
The result is the same as my S350DB.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe the M1370BT can't quite reproduce those frequencies and didn't have the same issue trying. As everyone has said, you're just asking too much of that kind of setup perhaps. If you want heavy bass reproduction a better sub is needed.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Maybe the M1370BT can't quite reproduce those frequencies and didn't have the same issue trying. As everyone has said, you're just asking too much of that kind of setup perhaps. If you want heavy bass reproduction a better sub is needed.
Yes, maybe M1370BT can't be good to reproduce them. I know that I can't ask too much from it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis