Help!!! The subwoofer has some strange sound

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I have just bought a new Edifier S350DB speaker. But in some songs, my subwoofer emits some strange sound like rattling sound.
The first song that I played "Infinity Ink - Infinity (Dubdogz & Bhaskar Remix) (Bass Boosted)"
The second song: "Imany feat. Filatov & Karas - Don't Be So Shy"

Does my subwoofer have any problem?

Thanks

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi all,

I have just bought a new Edifier S350DB speaker. But in some songs, my subwoofer emits some strange sound like rattling sound.
The first song that I played "Infinity Ink - Infinity (Dubdogz & Bhaskar Remix) (Bass Boosted)"
The second song: "Imany feat. Filatov & Karas - Don't Be So Shy"

Does my subwoofer have any problem?

Thanks
Yes, it is far too small! You can only play a system like that very quietly. Keep that up and your sub will soon be toast.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, TLS is right. That’s a small 8” vented sub. Is that your room in the video? It looks much too big for a “sub” that size. It seems appropriate for a small desktop system. I played it back on my system and found no oddities. I say you need to upgrade.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
This's not my room. Let focus on the sound.
The subwoofer has strange sounds like rattling or cracks/pops sound or I don't know what is it.
It starts at 10 seconds:
The bass is not pure but mixed with more noise.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This's not my room. Let focus on the sound.
The subwoofer has strange sounds like rattling or cracks/pops sound or I don't know what is it.
It starts at 10 seconds:
The bass is not pure but mixed with more noise.
Well, the sub is too small for any room and does what you say. There is no other way to break this to you, but that is a junk brand and their gear is no good.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It’s hard to tell for sure. But it sounds like a subwoofer in distress. Does it do this at lower volumes? If you watch the driver, how much excursion is it exhibiting? According to the manufacturer, it only has a FR starting at 40hz. Just a quick listen makes me pretty sure much of the track is lower than that, so you’re asking too much of that sub. How big is your listening room? Subwoofers will try and fill that whole space.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
The listening room is small, about 15m2.
According to the manufacturer, the frequency response of subwoofer is 40Hz –160Hz. If the frequency is lower 40Hz, I think the subwoofer will not respond, the driver doesn't waver/vibrate and have no sound.
But in this case, the subwoofer has some noise.
I don't know the problem lies in subwoofer or track?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Subwoofer is too small and not very well built. In fact it's not even really a subwoofer. You need a bigger, better sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The listening room is small, about 15m2.
According to the manufacturer, the frequency response of subwoofer is 40Hz –160Hz. If the frequency is lower 40Hz, I think the subwoofer will not respond, the driver doesn't waver/vibrate and have no sound.
But in this case, the subwoofer has some noise.
I don't know the problem lies in subwoofer or track?
The problem is even if the specs are right, and it can play down to 40hz, it will still play lower. Every speaker has a response slope. That means it doesn’t just stop at 40, it will have the ability to keep playing lower frequencies, but at increasingly lower levels(is that an oxymoron? Hmmmm).
It looks kinda like this on paper.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Does it happen at lower volumes? Or other songs? The track even says “bass boosted”.

I’m afraid.....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Edifier is decent for the price, but you have to realize that this system is designed for low volume and definitely not designed for music that really requires a subwoofer.
I bet the sound quality is quite nice if you play something like this and do not crank it overly loud.

As has been said, that sub isn't really a sub, it is a way to compensate for the inadequate/small (3.5"?) woofers used in the two main speakers.
However, for the type of music you are linking and if you want any volume, you need more than this!
Unfortunately, you will not get it for the ~$300 (including amplification) that Amazon charges for this system. I'm not sure you could do better for $300 - Edifier is one of the best options in this price range, but you can't get deep powerful bass without paying more!

We can help you find something more satisfying but I suspect our most budget friendly options will still run more than $300 if you must have the extra bass.

One option is 2 each of JBL LSR-306P

Understand that these will not play any deeper than the Edifier. However, what they will not do is crap all over themselves when you ask them to. These Pro Audio monitors (as in used by musicians and recording studios) are designed with consideration that they will likely be abused. They do not have BT if that is something you need (I didn't think to check if the Edifiers had BT connection).
If you are willing to spend more than $300, let us know your budget and we will give you options!

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Does it happen at lower volumes? Or other songs? The track even says “bass boosted”.

I’m afraid.....
Yes, it still happens at lower volume. But this noise sound is smaller than before.
And it only happens with some songs, not all

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Edifier is decent for the price, but you have to realize that this system is designed for low volume and definitely not designed for music that really requires a subwoofer.
I bet the sound quality is quite nice if you play something like this and do not crank it overly loud.

As has been said, that sub isn't really a sub, it is a way to compensate for the inadequate/small (3.5"?) woofers used in the two main speakers.
However, for the type of music you are linking and if you want any volume, you need more than this!
Unfortunately, you will not get it for the ~$300 (including amplification) that Amazon charges for this system. I'm not sure you could do better for $300 - Edifier is one of the best options in this price range, but you can't get deep powerful bass without paying more!

We can help you find something more satisfying but I suspect our most budget friendly options will still run more than $300 if you must have the extra bass.

One option is 2 each of JBL LSR-306P

Understand that these will not play any deeper than the Edifier. However, what they will not do is crap all over themselves when you ask them to. These Pro Audio monitors (as in used by musicians and recording studios) are designed with consideration that they will likely be abused. They do not have BT if that is something you need (I didn't think to check if the Edifiers had BT connection).
If you are willing to spend more than $300, let us know your budget and we will give you options!
Yes, I agree with you that Edifier is the best in this price range.
I used to use the Edifier M1370BT. Although it's cheaper, then it's subwoofer doesn't have any strange sound like noise or rattling or cracks/pops in S350DB.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
If you have S350DB, can you play this track on it, please? And do we have the same problem as I described?

Thanks!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, I agree with you that Edifier is the best in this price range.
I used to use the Edifier M1370BT. Although it's cheaper, then it's subwoofer doesn't have any strange sound like noise or rattling or cracks/pops in S350DB.
Well, it certainly is possible that there is a defect in your unit. Turn off the system and gently push the sub driver. It should move without any noise or feeling any roughness in the motion.
My assumption was that the sub was actually hitting against a physical object or causing the surround to snap taut from being "over driven" however this could also happen if something is amiss with the driver.
You might go on-line and find contact info for Edifier to get their advice on sending a substitute sub for you to compare.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
Well, it certainly is possible that there is a defect in your unit. Turn off the system and gently push the sub driver. It should move without any noise or feeling any roughness in the motion.
My assumption was that the sub was actually hitting against a physical object or causing the surround to snap taut from being "over driven" however this could also happen if something is amiss with the driver.
You might go on-line and find contact info for Edifier to get their advice on sending a substitute sub for you to compare.
I went to the store I bought to ask to listen to another S350DB speaker.
Unexpectedly, this S350 also suffers from the same phenomenon with Infinity Bass Boosted tracks.
Are all S350DB speakers suffering from this phenomenon?

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
As mentioned before, it is probably the sub attempting to play some lower frequencies it is not designed to play.

I started my new computer build with some Edifier speakers and sub. I never played any bass boosted content but found the bottom end was lacking. I ended up with some JBL 305's and the matching 310 subwoofer. It sounds incredible nearfield. Raise the budget a bit and take your time if need be. You will not be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are all S350DB speakers suffering from this phenomenon?
I would guess that they all are. Yes.

The tough pill to swallow is that it’s just not that good. Since the dealer has helped you listen to theirs and heard the problem, will they work with you on returning it for something else? If you keep using it, as mentioned before, you’re gonna cook that thing. Hopefully now at least, you can still return/exchange it.

J

JameBond99

Enthusiast
I brought it to the store for them to check. They have checked and concluded that it is normal.
They explained this phenomenon caused by cut-off frequency.
I think it's not a reason. So is the subwoofer or this track not good enough?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis